Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Need Opinions on 9850 vs 9810

Alright - so I'm in a dilemma. I just ordered the 9850 from Verizon, on my annual upgrade (my last one - since I was grandfathered in) - It's going to come in on Thursday.
    I wanted the larger screen, and this is the only BB option that VZW has obviously.
    I'm coming from a Bold 9650 so, I'm a bit hesitant about the virtual keyboard. Yes I've tried it at the store, and found that portrait is a bit difficult, but landscape is doable, lol.

Now here's the problem. My hub's company has moved to ATT (they can however stay with vzw if they choose) We get a better discount with ATT. I've played with the numbers, and as far as plans go, we will end up paying the same or less $ for the equivalent plan (although I would get more data and unlimited mobile to any mobile extra) with vzw.

ATT of course has the 9810. And I've played with that one as well. And really like it because it has the slider kb.
    Sorry for the long post. Bottom line, if you had the option of the 9810 would you have gotten that instead of the 9850?

And is it worth moving to ATT for the device? I just want to make the right choice given I will have it for awhile

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 01-02-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    27EE1588

same post twice, woops
    Last edited by buckwylder; 01-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    why did my signature disappear?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    27EE1588

i really enjoy my 9810, but also think the 9850 is a very nice phone too

however, if you're a big fan of the keyboard, the 9810 has that advantage and still provides a large touch screen, and of course has a virtual keyboard too

verizon is a better provider than att (from what i hear) - but i am sure any provider who is receiving payments from the customer will be happy, but... from what i read, verizon might be a better choice

both phones are really good - i just wanted to share an answer

i did make a post about why the 9810 is my favorite blackberry 7 phone, maybe click through my profile and give it a read

either way, good luck
    -------------------------------------
    why did my signature disappear?
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

I had both and kept the 9810 because of the keyboard.

I enjoyed the larger screen of the 9860 I had very much, but when it came down to typing longer messages and emails the keyboard was a necessity. now im on my 9900 and love it even more.
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Yeah, where I am, I'm not sure the coverage/service is that much different. I have friends on att and they say it's fine. I must say that I've been with VZW for years now, and the coverage has been excellent. Now customer service... But I think that's with any carrier lol.

The only thing I can do I guess is wait for the 9850 to arrive and use it for a few days and see if I like it or not. If it doesn't work out for me, I can still return it within 14 days (that's the other thing - ATT gives you 30 days). CS rep said they would waive the restocking fee for me - now whether or not I believe that, idk.

Just wanted some opinions. Mainly on the use of the virtual keyboard I guess. Have to add - I BBM quite a bit, with text and email following in that order. Oh yeah. And FB, lol.

Thanks for the input..
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 01-02-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Two great phones but after playing with both I choose the 9860 mainly to due too the larger screen.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask...

9850/9860 has one advantage over the 9810...screen size...if you don't think you could live without (I use to think I couldn't) the key board get a 9810...

I made the transition from a Bold 9700...and not looking back...I don't get to use my Berry as much since I am barred from bringing it into my work, so I don't miss the keyboard as much (I'm not living on BBM anymore)...
    911 takes too long, a squeeze of the trigger will solve the problem...and I can save minutes...when seconds count...

Morpheus@crackberry.com

twitter @jmjacksonF135
    CrackBerry Genius

I used th 9800. That's the os6 version of the 9810. Its a great device. My only complaint is when using virtual keyboard the reaalestate is very small due to the size of the screen. Only trouble I had with the keyboard was after a few minutes of typing with it the device got ackward to hold. Some call it top heavy.
    I got the 9860 cause I've always wanted a bigger screen.
    Att is a great provider around here. 3g and 4g everywhere but here at the farm. Lol but I still have edge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Trust me on this. The 9850 is a great phone and you will adapt to the touch screen in time.

Assume you will have buyer's remorse for about a month, maybe less. You will become a proficient typist in no time. give yourself time to sit and play with the keyboard, either in a bbm chat or just typing nonsense in an email. Or do the best you can transcribing a show on TV.

If your main concern is the typing, then you don't need the slider for the physical keyboard. You'll adapt just fine.

The only thing I can't speak to is the shortcuts. So if you are a proficient shortcut user who can't live without the built-in keyboard shortcuts, then the full touch will be more a challenge. However, learn how the full touch experience gets around the keyboard shortcuts. For instance, in a list of emails, tap on the date header and you get a quick menu of options, including go to top, bottom, mark prior read, et cetera.

I personally think the large screen is worth sacrificing the keyboard. Especially because you can't beat the SureType keyboard for one-handed typing.

Which reminds me, I highly encourage you to learn SureType. It is a great feature.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

All this does help, thanks... yeah buyer's remorse. I have it with everything. I'm not a shortcut user at all. I prefer to just use dock, or go to app screen to get to what I need. I'm not in that much of a hurry, lol.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what does SureType do? I have been practicing typing on my old (1st gen Ipod Touch) just to get a hang of it.

I've heard about the top heavy thing when typing on the slider. Hmmm.

Ok guys...good info here. Thanks for the advice.

Oh one other thing - sorry - I've already dl and shrunk 7.1 ready to install when I get my phone (yeah I know weird). Should I do this out of the box first? Isn't the keyboard in portrait supposed to be better?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterwheel View Post
    All this does help, thanks... yeah buyer's remorse. I have it with everything. I'm not a shortcut user at all. I prefer to just use dock, or go to app screen to get to what I need. I'm not in that much of a hurry, lol.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what does SureType do? I have been practicing typing on my old (1st gen Ipod Touch) just to get a hang of it.

Oh one other thing - sorry - I've already dl and shrunk 7.1 ready to install when I get my phone (yeah I know weird). Should I do this out of the box first? Isn't the keyboard in portrait supposed to be better?
    I like portait fof 1 handed typing. Most part I like Landscape mode. BIGGER. Lol
    Install the os whenever you feel like it. Your planning on running 7.1 then do it soon as possible. That's my opinion anyway

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Ok, well now I can't wait for the phone to show up lol. I want to get started on using it. I mean trying it out at the store doesn't really help much unless I actually had hours with it, lol.

I guess I'll know soon enough if touch typing is for me or not.

Thanks guys!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

the 9850 screen is sweet and the thin and sculpted form is really nice...my storm feels like a brick now (as does my friend's iphone). I've come to appreciate the trackpad, too.

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Thanks... I guess I was curious to know if those who had a choice of the 9810 or 9850, which one would you have gotten? (I know att peeps have that option...but we at Big Red do not)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,031 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not gonna happen

I would definitely go for the 9810.
    BBs virtual keyboard porbably wouldnt be able to keep up with my speed lol. And i wouldnt rely on any phone with virtual keyboard only without the iPhone...

9810 is a great device. Go for it.
    Enjoy your (upcoming) bb!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

You actually sound like a keyboard person. Why not stick with what you like?
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GB² & 64GB²
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by emirozmen View Post
    I would definitely go for the 9810.
    BBs virtual keyboard porbably wouldnt be able to keep up with my speed lol. And i wouldnt rely on any phone with virtual keyboard only without the iPhone...

9810 is a great device. Go for it.
    Enjoy your (upcoming) bb!
    Disagree. the virtual keyboard keeps up just fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterwheel View Post

SureType is a keyboard layout. In protrait mode, rather than each letter being assigned a key, the keys are a little bit larger and each key represents two letters. It's great because for one-handed typing you don't have to be as precise. It does take some time to learn how to manage SureType in cases where there are multiple words per keystroke sequence.

I personally use SureType for quick messages and for one-handed typing while doing anything that requires my other hand. I use the landscape keyboard for longer typing and for passwords. Rotating the phone will automatically change which keyboard layout is active.

Also, you brought up something about the app screen. I'm assuming you mean either your home screen or an app folder. Let me know if you'd like tips on how to manage your home screen and all the icons and folders. The way I have mine set up is clean and efficient. I'd be happy to pass on the method.

Lastly, I'd refrain from practicing on the iPhone keyboard. It might be just different enough to throw you off. It took me about a month to adapt from my Storm keyboard to the Torch... then again, i had three years of muscle memory to overcome.

HOpe your torch gets in soon. Feel free to PM me for my PIN if you need more help. Of course, you can just leave messages here as well.

Cheers.
    CrackBerry User

Personally I would go with the 9810 rather than 9850 - I have the 9860 and totally disappointed with the lack of support / updates / leaks etc for the device - it seems that the 9850 / 60 is definitely the poor relation of the torches - 9810 I reckon because it seems to have been adopted by more carriers seems to get better support?

The build quality of the 9810 looks better than the 9850 / 60 which is kinda plastic feeling and looking - I traded up from 9800 to 9860 and the quality of the 9800 is still very apparent over the new 9860 - just my thoughts
    CrackBerry Abuser

Tough choice, considering I also had the same dilemma before ending up buying the 9860.
    I would advise that you reconsider what you would mainly use the phone for.
    Look at the features of both phones, note their differences, then check which unique/better feature suits how you would use the phone.
    For example:
    I wanted the 9810 for the huge 8gb built-in storage and the physical keyboard.
    I wanted the 9860 for its large screen.
    I weighed my options and decided on the 9860, all because I realized I needed a bigger screen more than the huge memory and the physical keyboard. Since I'm not so much into text messaging and lengthy email sending, I scratched out the need for a physical keyboard. And since I mainly wanted the 8gb memory for work documents, I scratched that out too, since that's what my Playbook and laptop are for.
    Hope this helps you decide.
    On a final note though: Either way, 9810 or 9860, you're bound to get a great phone!!
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-03-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: edited redundant statement

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by bobaloo View Post
    SureType is a keyboard layout. In protrait mode, rather than each letter being assigned a key, the keys are a little bit larger and each key represents two letters. It's great because for one-handed typing you don't have to be as precise. It does take some time to learn how to manage SureType in cases where there are multiple words per keystroke sequence.

I personally use SureType for quick messages and for one-handed typing while doing anything that requires my other hand. I use the landscape keyboard for longer typing and for passwords. Rotating the phone will automatically change which keyboard layout is active.

Also, you brought up something about the app screen. I'm assuming you mean either your home screen or an app folder. Let me know if you'd like tips on how to manage your home screen and all the icons and folders. The way I have mine set up is clean and efficient. I'd be happy to pass on the method.

Lastly, I'd refrain from practicing on the iPhone keyboard. It might be just different enough to throw you off. It took me about a month to adapt from my Storm keyboard to the Torch... then again, i had three years of muscle memory to overcome.

HOpe your torch gets in soon. Feel free to PM me for my PIN if you need more help. Of course, you can just leave messages here as well.

Cheers.
    Well I don't use the default theme at all (don't like it) I use custom themes (and yes I know I will need to live with it for awhile)...so with my custom themes, yes I would use the home screen or just hit the bb menu button which would take me to the app screen where all my apps are.

Thanks for the offer.. I might just do that

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
    You actually sound like a keyboard person. Why not stick with what you like?
    Lol, I do don't I? Well I wanted the larger screen, and with VZW 9850 is the only option. I'm having a tough time cuz I don't know if it will be worth switching carriers just for a device with not much difference in plan costs..

Quote Originally Posted by millet View Post
    Personally I would go with the 9810 rather than 9850 - I have the 9860 and totally disappointed with the lack of support / updates / leaks etc for the device - it seems that the 9850 / 60 is definitely the poor relation of the torches - 9810 I reckon because it seems to have been adopted by more carriers seems to get better support?

The build quality of the 9810 looks better than the 9850 / 60 which is kinda plastic feeling and looking - I traded up from 9800 to 9860 and the quality of the 9800 is still very apparent over the new 9860 - just my thoughts
    The 9810 does look like a solid device. Do you like your 9860 though?

Quote Originally Posted by aj.bb.fanatic View Post
    Tough choice, considering I also had the same dilemma before ending up buying the 9860.
    I would advise that you reconsider what you would mainly use the phone for.
    Look at the features of both phones, note their differences, then check which unique/better feature suits how you would use the phone.
    For example:
    I wanted the 9810 for the huge 8gb built-in storage and the physical keyboard.
    I wanted the 9860 for its large screen.
    I weighed my options and decided on the 9860, all because I realized I needed a bigger screen more than the huge memory and the physical keyboard. Since I'm not so much into text messaging and lengthy email sending, I scratched out the need for a physical keyboard. And since I mainly wanted the 8gb memory for work documents, I scratched that out too, since that's what my Playbook and laptop are for.
    Hope this helps you decide.
    On a final note though: Either way, 9810 or 9860, you're bound to get a great phone!!
    That's a good way of looking at it. Going to have to think about what's more important.
    I do bbm and text msg frequently, with the occasional emails.
    As for memory, anything is better than the 512 on the Bold lol

So I guess I'm back to the beginning, lol. Kb or no?

The 9850 comes in Thursday.
    CrackBerry Abuser

FYI, the 9850 comes with a 16GB microSD card

Global Posts
    32,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by bobaloo View Post
    FYI, the 9850 comes with a 16GB microSD card

C'mon Fedex!!

Lol.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

Ya , come on fedex, I really need soemone to test this 9850/60 theme :-)

:-D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast