Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Menu and Escape Keys Stop Working

Got the new Torch 9850 on Sprint. Problem is the BB menu and escape keys stop working from time to time. Touch screen, call, and end call buttons remain functional, just can't get menu/esc keys to respond. usually I have to open the phone pad, then back out of it to get the keys to start working again.

already tried battery pull- makes no difference. Also checked and am currently running updated OS.

any others with this issue or any info on how to remedy?

thanks in advance..
    CrackBerry Addict

Same problem but affects all hard keys. Goes away on its own. A glitch in the OS hopefully one of many things to be fixed I hope.
    CrackBerry User

I'm also having this same problem, since I'm not the only one I guess I'll hold on for a few days to see if it's a software glitch before I bring it back to the store. A couple of times after pulling the battery they went functional again, only for 1 or both the escape and bb key to stop working again after a little while. Smh, it's always something!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Menu and Escape Keys Frequently do not work

I purchased 4 9850s for my business and all 4 are having the same issues with the menu and escape keys. I updated the software to a leaked OS and the problem is still consistently happening. This appears to be a problem with many users but Sprint has no idea as usual. I need answers or an official OS update to fix. HELP!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Menu and escape keys not working - fix???

I started having the same problem yesterday. My 9860 was just over a week old. I noticed that when it happened, sometimes if I pressed the phone key, the esc would then start working for a little while then stop again...then press the phone key hard and it would start working again... i wondered if the "tool bar" underneath the keys was being dislodged a bit by pressing the esc key or the menu key and then pressing the phone key pivots it back in position. It seems to be the case. Now when my esc and menu keys stop working, I either press the phone key very firmly or press the phone key and end key together very firmly and then then all the keys start working again....for a time anyway. I think it just gets moved off the conatct point in the middle a little with the two inner keys (menu and esc) and gets moved back by the outer keys (phone and end) by pressing them firmly. This fix works every time for me. i think i will take it back though and get a new one while it's exchangeable as one day it may get moved too far off and the fix won't work.

....update...started getting worse...would only get a couple of presses of esc and menu buttons after pressing phone. Since my 9860 was quite new I was able to take it back and exchange it for another one. So far so good.
    Last edited by cgs54321; 09-16-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: update
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Have had my 9850 30 days today. I'm having the same issue with the "Back" key, and "Menu" keys. First two weeks it was fine, or maybe I didn't really notice since I was not sure if I was doing something wrong. I decided to wait to see if a fix would come out. As time has gone on, it seems to be getting very frequent. Almost every time I use any application now, it seems to hang, or hesitate. Then after a few minutes, everything seems to work fine. Pressing the two outside phone keys brings me back to the main screen, which is like a work-around, but the applications that are hung up, remain in the background. eventually when everything is "working", I go back and close them. The apps I am using are all the BB native apps, Calendar, Phone, Browser, Contacts, etc... Also happens using Google, Telenav, and any other third-party app. I searched the forums to see if anyone else had this "issue", and see I'm not alone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm having a similar problem, except with my "End" key. Pretty sure it's a software glitch, not a problem with the physical button. Started experiencing this after moving to .353. The leaked OS solved a lot of my freezing/hanging issues, but introduced this new problem.

Categorically ridiculous. I am really starting to regret going with the 9860 rather than jumping ship to a Droid or iPhone. It's been nothing but problems since the day I bought it, first it would randomly hang for several seconds every time I unlocked it. 353 solved that. But now the stupid button malfunctions. I am totally SOL on this issue, RIM can't seem to solve customer issues fast enough.
    CrackBerry User

I got mine exchanged after a week and the new one hasn't had this issue once! I'm definitely leaning towards hardware being the issue.
    Storm, Storm 2, Torch 9800, Torch 9860, Black Z10 all on Telus
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thumbs down Keys haven't worked for months

I have had the BB 9850 for Sprint since late August of last year. From late August to late September, my phone worked great except for the occasional lag with the timer. Then in October, I noticed that my menu and escape keys would lag a little bit or I'd have to press them multiple times to get them to work. Sometimes I'd have to press the call button, then press the escape button to get the keys to work again but that was a temporary fix. I just thought it was a bug that would fix on its own so I let it be. From that time to November, I had to replace the phone's battery because it wouldn't charge - but that has turned out to be a charging port issue that Sprint refuses to accept and fix.

Then when they had the new system update, I thought that it would fix any issues I was having with my phone but they instead intensified. I am no longer able to use my menu or escape keys at all. When I use my facebook app, if I click on someone's pictures, there is no way for me to get out of them, and return to the person's profile or my news feed on the app, because I cannot use the escape key. I am constantly taking my battery out to restart the phone so all of my apps will reset. This has been going on since the system update months ago. Unfortunately, while taking out the battery helps my apps, it does not fix the menu and escape keys.

Now, my phone has developed a new issue within the past month. My phone lags on receiving emails, text messages, and kik messages. I'll receive an email 15 minutes after its been sent. Text messages never seem come and kik, which is kind of like an instant messenger, messages won't come until I act like I am typing then a message will pop up. Also, my phone wont receive or send picture mail. I always get an error message, "Failed to send message."

Lastly, my touch screen and pad are starting to go as well. I will try to select an email and it will not open. I'll try to scroll through a website, and the track pad won't work. Overall, this phone is a piece of you know what. BB 9850 users be aware, if your phone isn't experiencing the problems that I've listed here... It will eventually.
    Last edited by krowlandx3; 04-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts

It's a hardware issue. You need to have the phone repaired or replaced if these issues pop up for you.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've had my BB 9850 for a day and have had total freeze happen a lot touch screen and buttons don't work at all >.< battery pull fixes it for a few minutes but it happens again after that. Maybe it's a lemon?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Go to rounded.com They sell BBs spare parts. Buy the front case, and install yourself. See 9850/60 disassembly in youtube. It's real easy. I did it myselg
    CrackBerry Addict

What's maddening about this glitch is that it's so inconsistent. It will go for days without a hitch, then happen repeatedly. Just when I'm convinced it's software (= too many inputs in rapid succession confuses its poor little processor) then it acts up after long dormant periods. Just when I'm convinced it's hardware, it cures itself for days on end.
    Because it's so intermittent I have no interest in taking it to the local Verizon tech desk and being told it works just fine.
    And exchanging for another one could very well yield a unit with more problems, especially if it's "remanufactured".
    A pain, in short.
    Edit - Having thought it then failed altogether and that I'd have to visit the VZW store after all, it's back. Wow. Used a very small screwdriver to pry up the Escape key just enough to get out some lint that had built up. Other than a couple of small scratches on the button surface it now appears good to go, but just posting this will probably make it crash again!
    Last edited by pastorbrad; 09-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Further thought - someone posted in one of these threads about cleaning the buttons out with alcohol on a Qtip and then blowing with compressed air? Couldn't find it? Are you out there and would you care to share again? Thanks!
    And one last, I promise - I've used a spring clip belt holster for this phone since day one. The inside of the holster (the surface facing the screen, containing a magnet which puts the phone to sleep when holstered) is covered with a thin felt flocking material. When the phone is inserted "right side up" - that is, with the buttons to the bottom - those buttons slide down along the felt. You can see the grooves they wear on the felt surface over time. And that wear deposits all those little particles of lint into the spaces around the buttons. Hence the crud buildup, hence the issues with the escape button/key. So if the phone is holstered "upside down" - that is, buttons to the top - this effect should be lessened.
    Last edited by pastorbrad; 09-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Doesnt happen to me, I have a fully retail bought 9860. Weird.
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Addict

You know I threw in the towel and got a replacement. VZW was remarkably efficient and helpful and gave me no grief about it. Seems fine so far, only problem is I used Backup instead of Device Switch in DM and lost Meterberry! Which is no longer available new. Oh well, a small price.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have this issue with a 9800. I thought it was a hardware issue until I re-installed the opperating system. Then the keys worked again. They stopped, installed the OS and again they worked again. Or, I pull the battery. Then they work again. If it was hardware, simply re-installing the OS would not fix the keys.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

9850 / 9860 Back Button **FIX**
    hopefully helps you with the menu key as well
    CrackBerry Newbie

It is definitely a hardware issue. You can feel the difference in the way the keys are pressed when there is problem. The rubber pad seems to lock up inside intermittently causing permanent contact and malfunctioning. This is what told to me by a service engineer. I had the problem twice and no software upgrade fixed it. Don't waste time, if it is within warranty get it replaced.
    CrackBerry Newbie

When closed the slide the menu function can use, but when open the slide the menu function and answer key can't use. Why this happen??
    CrackBerry Newbie

Im having the same problem Syam...did you manage to sort yours and if so how please?
    CrackBerry Genius

I just replaced the case on my son's 9860 and the case came complete with the new keys. His keys were still working, but I didn't like the feel of the back key. It was a bit mushy, but still worked. I think they may just wear out. I replaced the case because he had a huge scratch on the touch screen. Anyway, the complete case is OEM, but with AT&T branding on the back cover. It was $50 on eBay from a Canadian seller, item 140922597748.