Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Memory drain on torch

Anyone having a memory drain on their torch. The beginning of the day starts out with 1.8 free and by the end of the day only 1.3 free. I'm running stock OS on Verizon. This only apps installed are be weather, poynt, Google sync,bejeweled, slide lock and stop tilt. I also have blackberry protect and bridge installed. I'm slowly deleting apps from the phone to see what is causing the memory leak.
    CrackBerry Master

Default Memory Drain

I will tell you this much. As much as I think Be Weather is a great app, it causes HUGE memory leaks. Been going through this since I downloaded the "Gift" version of this a few days ago. I would boot up at like 195 and with this app running, and I even have it set to manually update, within a few hours I would be down to 140, without any other apps running, nothing pulling updates etc. I have been running a test the past few days and when I did my last battery pull and Without even opening Be Weather, where I just have the red umbrella on my screen, I have lost ZERO memory. All I have to do is open it, and it leaks like a sieve. Opened it once today, lost memory, rebooted and got the red umbrella and didnt open it, and did not lose anything. This might be a good place for you to start. I might end up uninstalling it because of this drain
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Wow. I can't believe it. I had this on my storm without any problems at all. I paid for it on my storm. I'm using the "gift" version on the torch. I can't imagine that makes a difference. Maybe it doesn't like OS 7.0. Guess I'll delete it too and see I'd the leak goes away. Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I wondered if BeWeather was the culprit. Too bad. Losing 50k+ per day on 7.1. Have you tried it without the wallpaper?
    CrackBerry Master

Default Memory Drain on Torch

I don't use any wallpaper at all. Today, I activated the app after not using it all day yesterday and not losing any memory, and it started leaking like it did before. Was at 190 at 4 p.m. today and presently I am down to 160, so this is the culprit. Too bad because IMHO it's a great app, just not sure if its worth the reboots and battery pulls when I use it. Not that it is that big of a deal, but when I dont use it, I dont have to do either
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Just uninstalled be weather. I'll report my results tomorrow. I just do get it though. I never had this problem on my storm.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    31006AFC

oh man....say it aint so....I love this app, I had it since my Storm....... oh man......going to uninstall to see if there is a difference. Man o man I even paid for it....this sucks....I hope they fix this.......ok wo what is next weather app to go after?
    CrackBerry Master

im unsure if the different versions of this make any kind of difference. I had dowloaded the freebie version for BB 7 users when I noticed this. Not sure if the free one or the other one that is the paid build makes it leak any more or any less
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

If the leak goes away without the app in going to download the paid version I purchased and report back. Probably won't know anything until tomorrow night or maybe Friday. I can't imagine that there's a difference though.
    CrackBerry Master

with bb apps, there is no telling what one is going to get. That is one thing I learned about these phones. No two builds are exactly a like. Sometimes with less apps on my phone I have more leaks and more problems then people that have 100 apps on their phones. Let me know of your findings. would be interesting to see if you have the same leaks as I do
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

Is anyone using BeWeather on 7.0? i wonder if the drain is the same? 7.1 is not so good on memory management.
    CrackBerry Addict

I suspected this was the app that was leaking, and 7.1 has issues of its own. I love this app, but as I feel confident I don't have to deal with any more blizzards for the year i will unistall. Then mabe there will be a fix by next winter.

Thanks for those of you that did your homeowork and shared. I had no time to deal with this and it was so nice to get your thoughts.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I wiped my phone and reloaded the official OS for Verizon. I have 2.4 free memory at bootup. After a while it drops. No apps installed. It fluctuates up and down. As low as 1.9. Then installed be weather. I start off with 2.2 free memory at bootup. Goes as low as 1.7 but for whatever reason goes up to 1.9. Then back down. It's only been 2 days. I'm going to see if it goes much lower. It doesn't seem to effect the performance of the phone. Although there are times that the touch screen is totally unresponsive. The only thing that works it the track pad. After about 30 seconds or so it starts working again.