Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Default OS Update

I think us Mac users are just going to have to wait patiently or impatiently until its pushed to the DM in order for us to grab it. Been waiting too. I thought for sure today, but I was wrong. Starting to get impatient and antsy here as I am starting to notice too much lag with my current OS that is already loaded
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidds18 View Post
    doesn't work with mac....any help appreciated
    All that has been available is a Windows installer executable. Admittedly, not much use on a Mac unless you have the dual boot into Windows installed . My son is an engineering student, and he flips over to the Windows side for many of the engineering design tools that don't run on OS X.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 10-19-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

I've noticed that on several occasions, the accelerometer lagged turning the screen from portrait to landscape mode and vice versa...and also on several occasions, I had a problem with the back key not responding....I'm going to give it a few more days to see exactly when and where these happen and I will wipe my o/s and all the apps completely and just reload the new o/s again and reinstall all the apps to see if it runs better...I have a feeling that the old o/s "left a sour taste in the new o/s" (hehehe)....

also, one of the advantages of this new o/s is that it eliminated the "uncaught exception" errors....well, guess what, the FIRST time my phone loaded after installing the new O/S, I got an "uncaught exception" error (pertaining to my Applock app), but it hasn't happened again since....and this is one of the reasons why I want to wipe my phone and apps and start anew...
    CrackBerry User

Dude ! OK , I tried it again using DM , did Backup Data and disabled some GPS apps for it to finally work . Then on Options , Device , About Device Versions , on the last page , there is an Acknowledgement to The Android Open Source Project . ? . Was this there before ? I don't think so . . .
    Last edited by digicon; 10-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    Dude ! OK , I tried it again using DM , did Backup Data and disabled some GPS apps for it to finally work . Then on Options , Device , About Device Versions , on the last page , there is an Acknowledgement to The Android Open Source Project . ? . Was this there before ? I don't think so . . .

I've seen this with every Os release besides the one that came on the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

downloaded it. frankly i didnt notice any real difference the last version worked well for me. this version seems to be a little faster tho but perhaps because its still fresh.

one thing i notice is that when scrooling thru list sometimes i end up higlighting more than one item and then the phone go to selection mode. i need to press back button to get out of the selection mode. his is most apparent in social feeds app. anyone have similar issue?

i dont think its a bug tho more like a milisecond of freezing which ends up registering my fingers at two different location.
    Stompy likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    the tail on the trolls.

Am I an *****? Where is the download? I went to Verizon's website and the .pdf documents talk about the new OS, but the download is not there. It just says "coming soon". Is it just me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Sprint 9850 user. Upgrading from OS 7.0.0.362.

First time I loaded .374 to my phone I couldn't get my phone to wipe completely but it did upgrade. First boot had an "uncaught exception" error but no error after the first boot. Dropped a couple of calls, which is the first time for this phone, ever. Maybe some .362 files remained?

Last night I shrinked the OS using BB Boss, wiped (which worked fine this time) and re-loaded the shrinked .374.

Hopefully today it'll do better.

FYI, I haven't noticed any hourglassing with .362 or .374 except when installing apps or right after boot when the phone is trying to get everything started.
    Last edited by danp2000; 10-20-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by crackfinder View Post
    Am I an *****? Where is the download? I went to Verizon's website and the .pdf documents talk about the new OS, but the download is not there. It just says "coming soon". Is it just me?

Same here. On VZW website it says still pending. No sign of upgrade either through DM or checking on the device itself.
    Last edited by pastorbrad; 10-20-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Common

Default Signature

After this update, the following is appearing on all my emails:

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

I checked BIS and the signature field is blank as I had removed it long ago. Any other places I should look? Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Alphalucard View Post
    downloaded it. frankly i didnt notice any real difference the last version worked well for me. this version seems to be a little faster tho but perhaps because its still fresh.

one thing i notice is that when scrooling thru list sometimes i end up higlighting more than one item and then the phone go to selection mode. i need to press back button to get out of the selection mode. his is most apparent in social feeds app. anyone have similar issue?

i dont think its a bug tho more like a milisecond of freezing which ends up registering my fingers at two different location.
    I have noticed this problem as well. Actually, it happens quite frequently while scrolling through email and text messages.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    PIN
    33098B95

installed the Verizon .374 on my BB 9850. Installation was a snap (thanks to all of the posters like Kamika007z and many others). My device is faster, smoother and I lost nothing in the transition. This BB9850 is a KEEPER and I'm delighted with it. Thanks to all the CB members that provide such valuable info. We sincerely appreciate it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbrad View Post
    Same here. On VZW website it says still pending. No sign of upgrade either through DM or checking on the device itself.
    Apparently some people are seeing it with over-the-air update. But it still does not show up in the usual update pages. You have to explicitly go to the VZW download site quoted in this thread, install it locally on your PC, and then install it on your phone with DM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Today I've had no dropped call issues so the problem must have been the bad wipe.

I do see a problem with the keyboard not coming up, sometimes, while in the phone app.

Otherwise, very good.
    CrackBerry User

I'm still having a heck of a time navigating with the touchpad in the Browser in Landscape. Works perfectly fine everywhere, even in the browser in portait but when it's on its side it's very hard to move the cursor. It only moves in very small increments, and it seems to angle up and down when I'm moving it horizontally. Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah I gave up on the OTA and just updated from the link provided here. Quick and easy, all my apps were restored, and it even automatically re-activated my email accounts. Yay!
    CrackBerry Master

Default Some Good, Bad, and Ugly About VZN Release

Booked the update using my PC/DM.

The Good:

My Jonathan Fisher Storm Launchers work great. (Needed reboot to see their little names below their icons.) Thank you RIM / VZN !! Overall seems quite fast, responsive.

The Bad

Still some app vendors (BerryWeather, WSJ, MeterBerry) not getting with the BBID program - should not have to re-enter activation codes !!

Cannot get standard Vlingo up (the one that I have paid for at least once).
    No problema you say, just Corporate Wars between Vlingo and Nuance. (See the Ugly).

The Ugly

When I look (after a hard/battery pull reboot) at the Options/Device/Convenience Key list, there are items there that simply DO NOT BELONG - items like 79/53 from BerryWeather and "75 Reportedly Injured in Plane Crash..." from Fox News" interspersed with regular items like Do Nothing, Clock, CALCULATOR, etc. This looks and smells like a data structure problem that can and will have catastrophic consequences !

OK, here is what is happening: the code that is filling out this list is looking at what is displayed below each screen icon. This is a very bad technique - it needs to look at an internal data base that cannot be modified by the app coder. (It does allow for some really whippy results, but it is unreliable and very dangerous.) For example, it allows me to fill out one of my Jonathan Fisher Storm Launchers with the name Y-MAIL that the OS later fills in nicely. Then, if I wish, I can set the convenience key to Y-MAIL and when I hit the convenience key, it goes to my Yahoo Mail. Same for Calculator, etc. In my view, this MUST be fixed immediately by a professional designer/coder before some really spectacular bad things happen. This implementation could be viewed as a virus or Trojan.

App coders can and will do anything to get their jobs done and the OS must protect against this. Eventually we will have layers of software like Windows that can protect the hardware and OS from such fiddling. Ultimately, we shall have Vmware on our phones, but for now the OS coders must be very careful not to permit such constructions.

PS - O'l Doc Shooting Himself in the Foot

So....if I go to my fifth Jonathan Fisher Storm Launcher (broken inside somehow) and enter its name as "Nothing", guess what happens ? Vlingo starts working !! Very clumsy, unprofessional - but it does work and allows Vlingo to run.

RIM / VZN / Vlingo: please fix ASAP. BUT: please, please don't make my Jonathan Fisher Storm Launchers obsolete !!!

Summary 21/oct/11

In the clear lite of day, Vlingo 4.11.4 is working nominally using "Do Nothing". Still have all the wonky items in the Convenience Key List as various apps use the COM area - I still consider these dangerous.

Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 10-21-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: More Info
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Apparently some people are seeing it with over-the-air update. But it still does not show up in the usual update pages. You have to explicitly go to the VZW download site quoted in this thread, install it locally on your PC, and then install it on your phone with DM.
    Given some of the initial reporting I think I'll wait awhile then!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27FFBB73

ive deleted the vendor file and still cant get it on my phone! what am i doin wrong?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian View Post
    I've noticed that on several occasions, the accelerometer lagged turning the screen from portrait to landscape mode and vice versa...and also on several occasions, I had a problem with the back key not responding....I'm going to give it a few more days to see exactly when and where these happen and I will wipe my o/s and all the apps completely and just reload the new o/s again and reinstall all the apps to see if it runs better...I have a feeling that the old o/s "left a sour taste in the new o/s" (hehehe)....

also, one of the advantages of this new o/s is that it eliminated the "uncaught exception" errors....well, guess what, the FIRST time my phone loaded after installing the new O/S, I got an "uncaught exception" error (pertaining to my Applock app), but it hasn't happened again since....and this is one of the reasons why I want to wipe my phone and apps and start anew...
    Follow up: OK, so tonight, the BACK and BLACKBERRY buttons stopped functioning properly. They started not working most of the times, and it didn't feel like a hardware issue. I got frustrated and went ahead and did a clean O/S reload. I used security wipe and wiped everything and all the apps on my phone. Then I used BBSAK to wipe the entire phone. Then I used DM to reload the new O/S again. Once my phone was up and running, I did not have that problem anymore. However, I haven't used it long enough to see if the rotation problem (w/accelerometer) still exists.

I had/have a feeling that certain apps were causing the problems with the buttons and accelerometer. I hope a clean reload fixes it. Will keep ya posted!
    CrackBerry Newbie

the upgrade went fine except Drivesafe.ly will not work in landscape mode...on a Storm you just disable compatibility mode...no compatibility mode on the 9850??????
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #46  

A quick off topic note: I find it a bit upsetting that Michelle Haag had no problem linking to this thread, but not give the proper credit on her blog post... Oh well.

Back to posting issues & fixes.

Last edited by Kamika007z; 10-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask.

Does anyone know if this update fixes the issue with the menu/back buttons being unresponsive? I'm on my second 9850 and it has this problem, just like my first one. It is getting very frustrating. I don't want to have to get my phone replaced every month.

CrackBerry User

This update is AMAZING. My phone works flawlessly now. Google Maps used to get the hourglass, but it seems to work great now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thiswickedninja View Post
    Does anyone know if this update fixes the issue with the menu/back buttons being unresponsive? I'm on my second 9850 and it has this problem, just like my first one. It is getting very frustrating. I don't want to have to get my phone replaced every month.

Yes...this is one of the fixes from this update...I was actually wondering who has these problems...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian View Post
    Yes...this is one of the fixes from this update...I was actually wondering who has these problems...
    Thank God! Is this update available via DM for Mac? I don't have a PC anymore to do it the old fashioned way of deleting the vendor.xml file.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast