Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Im due for an upgrade i was just wondering how you like the 9850/9860

i cant deside what bb to go with next i have the Strom2 currently and im itching for a new bb i looked on best buy people seem to like the bold but not much was said about the 50/60 what are your thoughts.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts

The 9850 is a nice device. It has all the BlackBerry goodies (sans the physical keyboard) and it has the largest screen in the family at 3.7".

I like the Bold 9930 because I am an e-mail machine and get all my alerts and notifications via e-mail and I enjoy typing on the physical keys. But if you liked the Storm, I think you are going to love the Torch 9850.

Just the spec upgrade is a huge leap forward.

It will be interesting for you, since you have the first full screen BlackBerry to see the evolution of the full screens with RIM. I believe the next BB full screen is some time away but the BB-X will probably be a full screen.

Enjoy

If you are happy with your phone then it is the right phone for you.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    PIN
    33098B95

Upgrading to the Torch 9850 will be like your S2 on steroids. Of all the devices I've had, this is by far the absolute best for my purposes. E-mail and calls are probably 70% of my usage, but with the new OS and chipset, I'm using the browser a lot more. It is quick, legible and functional. Texting is a snap, and the other five apps I've downloaded are very useful.

The short period of time that I had an iPhone 4, it never came close to the call quality that my 9850 has and the e-mail is really excellent on the 9850. I found all the apps on my iPhone were more of a distraction rather than useful.

The only shortcoming that I've run across is the battery drain, which for me is about 8% an hour (I have wireless & bluetooth on continually so I have a car and travel charger with me always).

Anyway, that is my 49+ days of experience with the 9850.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

I'm lovin mine and came from Storm 1 and 2. I wasn't disappointed with the Storm 2, but after using this for a few weeks now, it is a huge difference! I don't think you'll be disappointed!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

I came from a Storm 1 Then 2 to 9860...... This one kicks ***!!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I too came for the Storm 1 and Storm 2 and then to the 9850 and LOVE this phone. The day I got it Verizon release the software upgrade and it has been perfect. Good battery life, great calls, email, internet, and the integration of the apps together is awesome. The camera takes great pictures. I added the Otterbox Commuter case and really could not be happier....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

You wont be disappointed. The 9850/9860 is a great choice coming from the storm. The only thing that will use a little getting use to is not having the surepress. Give it some time to get use to and you will be typing faster then ever did with the storm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had the Storm. I had the Storm 2. I had the Torch. I went back to the Storm 2.

Oh, but only because my Torch failed and it took Verizon 6 days to get me a warranty replacement. Using the Storm again was like slow torture. I didn't realize how fast the Torch was until I had to go back. Now, with the new OS update it's even faster. Keyboard errors were the worst part, but are way better now.

Get the Torch if you like the Storm, you will be amazed. Just know that the app development is slow, but there are ways to use the 9550 apps on the 9850.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Sounds good. I think I'm going to like this BB thanks

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Barbecue View Post
    I had the Storm. I had the Storm 2. I had the Torch. I went back to the Storm 2.

Oh, but only because my Torch failed and it took Verizon 6 days to get me a warranty replacement. Using the Storm again was like slow torture. I didn't realize how fast the Torch was until I had to go back. Now, with the new OS update it's even faster. Keyboard errors were the worst part, but are way better now.

Get the Torch if you like the Storm, you will be amazed. Just know that the app development is slow, but there are ways to use the 9550 apps on the 9850.

Do you mean some of the games and themes that I have for the S2 might work on the torch?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

I previously owned both the curve and the bold so going to an all touch with the 9860 was a little scary but I have no regrets. I love the larger screen, getting used to the virtual keyboard was a breeze and the speed of the browser is amazing. I rarely browsed on my previous BB's but now find I hardly ever use my laptop anymore when its so swift and easy to use and see on my phone. Definitely my favorite BB to date!
    Thanked by:
    TIMSHULL (11-06-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts

Default You'll love it.

I came from a Storm after a long wait. The change will be easy for you - almost feels like a natural cousin - but much faster, smoother and never a freeze up or memory overload.
    Really love: speed, beautiful screen, trackpad makes choosing and editing a breeze, Everything is so much better I have already forgot my Storm (its only been 10 days). Web speed is almost as fast as a laptop a generation ago.
    ...it all started with those two tin cans & a length of string... . . . [///]--------------[\\\]
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jwsnj3rd View Post
    Do you mean some of the games and themes that I have for the S2 might work on the torch?

I don't think any themes work yet. Games maybe... Search for a thread about installing .cod files on OS7 with BBSAK.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Oh ok thanks

CrackBerry User

I just upgraded to a 9850 from a storm 2, before that I had a pearl. I love this phone! I think you would miss the large screen if you did any other BB. I type a lot on my 9850, emails, text, BBM, and have not had any trouble with the virtual keyboard. I highly recommend the torch 9850!

Thanked by 2:
    Status45 (11-06-2011),  TIMSHULL (11-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Unhappy

I have been anticipating for its release but I have to admit that it has been a disappointment. Many times I feel like throwing it against the wall or under a passing truck! Battery life stands at 5 hrs daily. I had better batt life with all other BBs I've used. Even the 9900 is the same, poor batt life. I prefer the 9900 if not for the keypad. I prefer the keypads of the Curve 9300 and earlier models. The processor is slow..in my opinion..coz there's always lagging. It takes a second too long when coming back to life after being on standby. It freezes so often. Typing is nowhere comparable to even the first iPhone! The ringtone aka sound disappears often and you have to do a battery pull to get it back. It even disappears when you plug it in to charge. The touch screen is not as responsive as an iPhone. It comes out multiple letters at times which takes more time to compose messages as you often have to correct them. Sometimes it doesn't respond at all..and suddenly...you're like passing thru multiple windows coz the phone just processed the taps that you made earlier. The other day...the keypad started typing random letters with just one tap and you can see the keys highlighting on its own. This is by far the crappiest BB I've ever owned..and the sad thing is I promote and sell BBs for a living. I don't recommend it to people who ask me about it. I am hoping to see improvement via an update. Hopefully it gets better. If it doesn't, I'll let my 5 year old daughter use it as a toy coz it definitely doesn't suit the use it was meant for.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Does anyone even know what this icon means?

Make the leap. Unless you are unlucky enough to get one of the few bad handsets, you wont be disappointed.
    PlayBook running 2.1.0.1032 - 9850 running 7.1.0.580! FOR NOW...

PLEASE HELP ME HELP KIDS WITH CANCER!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    No more PIN

I say don't do...I have one and it's broken. Just waiting for Galaxy Nexus, had enough of RIM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noldorinking View Post
    I have been anticipating for its release but I have to admit that it has been a disappointment. Many times I feel like throwing it against the wall or under a passing truck! Battery life stands at 5 hrs daily. I had better batt life with all other BBs I've used. Even the 9900 is the same, poor batt life. I prefer the 9900 if not for the keypad. I prefer the keypads of the Curve 9300 and earlier models. The processor is slow..in my opinion..coz there's always lagging. It takes a second too long when coming back to life after being on standby. It freezes so often. Typing is nowhere comparable to even the first iPhone! The ringtone aka sound disappears often and you have to do a battery pull to get it back. It even disappears when you plug it in to charge. The touch screen is not as responsive as an iPhone. It comes out multiple letters at times which takes more time to compose messages as you often have to correct them. Sometimes it doesn't respond at all..and suddenly...you're like passing thru multiple windows coz the phone just processed the taps that you made earlier. The other day...the keypad started typing random letters with just one tap and you can see the keys highlighting on its own. This is by far the crappiest BB I've ever owned..and the sad thing is I promote and sell BBs for a living. I don't recommend it to people who ask me about it. I am hoping to see improvement via an update. Hopefully it gets better. If it doesn't, I'll let my 5 year old daughter use it as a toy coz it definitely doesn't suit the use it was meant for.
    I don't even own this phone, but based on everything you wrote above, and everything i've read on these forlums, it seems like you need to upgrade the OS to one of the newer releases. I will bet this will take care of all of your problems described above.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Barbecue View Post
    I don't think any themes work yet. Games maybe... Search for a thread about installing .cod files on OS7 with BBSAK.
    Liquid graphics killed themes for 7.0

I'm excited to pick up a 9860 on Sunday when AT&T officially releases it. Can't wait to load it full of Storm2 .cod's
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Those who are having trouble must have broken phones. I've had a Sprint Torch 9850 since day one and not had a problem, not one.

Now that I've said that I'm doomed.
    TIMSHULL likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I went from the Storm 2 to the 9850 and I think I am taking it back on Monday and getting an Android. Big difference.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noldorinking View Post
    Complete troll, just realized that
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Coming from the Storm's old OS to the Torch alone will be such a pleasurable experience. I had a S2 myself then moved to 9930 but my girl got the torch and I get to play with it as often as I want. I must admit some times, move often than not, I question my choice. Both have their positives (screen size vs physical keyboard) but you appear inclined towards the touch experience so I'll echo what most others have already suggested that you will like the torch .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayriggs View Post
    I went from the Storm 2 to the 9850 and I think I am taking it back on Monday and getting an Android. Big difference.
    I've owed an Android phone, the first Droid Incredible, and I sold it and went back to my Storm 2. Changing now to the BB 9850 has been awesome! It is the best of both worlds. I can have all the apps I will ever need and the solid BB phone call-quality, Messenger and world-wide capability. I also own an Android tablet, but that doesn't make me want an Android phone any more because of it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast