Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I get 13hrs out of a full charge - You?

Hello. I get roughly 13 hours out of a full charge. I text, email, bbm, Facebook and tweet a good bit. Some browsing. Not too much phone calls. I have battery booster pro btw.

How does this compare to others out there?

What are you guys getting off of a full charge?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts

I haven't really tested mine yet. Most week days I'm bridged to my playbook and do a lot of surfing etc. and will have to plug in early but being bridged and using the playbook so much uses a lot of battery. On weekends I'm mostly using my laptop so my phone mostly sits unused.

I always find battery life comparisons hard to compare due to different people use and idea of what light/heavy use is.

I would think more I had this phone and it lasted this long, I do the same things on this other phone and it last this long would give better results.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Abuser

With fairly light use, I typically experience a battery drain of around 1.5-2.0% per hour. At that rate, I can go two full days before charging.

My typical daily level of usage involves only a few short phone calls, a couple of text messages, a dozen or so e-mails, an hour or so of web browsing, and occasional use of apps such as BerryWeather, Score Mobile, MemoPad, etc.

One thing that I think really helps keep my battery drain down is that I live in an area with very good cellular coverage; my device doesn't have to work at finding a signal. I also am careful to close all apps as soon as I am through using them. And, I also turn off any GPS functions in my apps unless I am actively using them.

So, I am completely satisfied with the battery life I am getting.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

I switched to the Torch 9860 and was finding my battery life better than that on Rogers. Usually taking it off the charger at 6am and putting it back on around midnight and still was usually around 30-35%.

As we point out in this article on battery tips for extending battery life, I find using WiFi on these new BB7 devices whenever possible helps the battery last longer.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Thanked by:
    eclipse33 (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Same as Kevin. My 9860 comes off the charger around 7am and goes back on anywhere between 11pm-midnight with still about 25-30% left.

I'm a med-heavy user throughout the day (depends if i'm in office or out) with calls, texts, bbms and emails. On the heaviest of days, I plug in at around 5pm when I get home with about 30-35%

I'm pretty happy with that. I've yet to worry about a dying phone throughout the day.

Love my 9860!
    CrackBerry User

Plus , I've noticed on my 9850 , the more apps I open or surf , after a few days my battery drains pretty quick . I've found that if I shut down and do a battery pull , then restart , it must close all my apps and games and I start over . From then a charge will last me too around two days until I need to recharge again . The same , the more apps I open over time , my battery drains quick , I do a battery pull . This helped me , maybe it'll help you .
    Last edited by digicon; 12-04-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts

Some days mine only gets 6-8 hours.

OS 540. My 9700 was twice this or more. Shame battery technology isn't advancing as quick as the devices they run.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts

Last time I took mine off of the charger was Friday around 1:30 in the afternoon. I've made a couple fairly long calls, a little bit of surfing, installed some apps and played a little bit with Vlingo and today at 5:30 in the morning I still have 40% battery. Granted it hasn't been used a whole lot.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Data coverage is really not good here with my cell provider. Even when the signal strength is full, sometimes my phone will struggle to send/receive data. That's why I can only get around 7-8 hours with 3G on, or 10-12 hours with only GPRS/EDGE.

My usage: lots of receiving e-mails, lots of BBM-ing, UberSocial updates every 5 minutes, Twitter for Blackberry updates every 1 hour, Social Feeds updates every 2 hours. No Facebook auto-update, no instant messenger active.
    CrackBerry Genius

My usage depends on how much BBM Group activity I see. I'm in a number of groups and when they're active, I need to charge after ~8 hours, sometimes sooner. When the groups aren't active, I have no problems making it through the day with 40% battery life or more remaining. Basically it comes down to a function of how much data is transferring and how often the screen is on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I charge my 9860 every 2 days. Pretty good amount of phone calls and browsing, but the battery holds for 48ish hours...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    I switched to the Torch 9860 and was finding my battery life better than that on Rogers. Usually taking it off the charger at 6am and putting it back on around midnight and still was usually around 30-35%.

As we point out in this article on battery tips for extending battery life, I find using WiFi on these new BB7 devices whenever possible helps the battery last longer.
    How has your experience been with the 9860 so far?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I'm lucky to get more than 8 hrs out of a full charge. It ptobably because of gtalk and being in office towers. I'm on Telus btw
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

I typically charge mine once every 2 days. Moderate use, BBM, Text, couple hundred emails received everyday for work & Bridge with my playbook when needed. I do keep my hooked to the Company WIFI & WIFI at home which has significantly increased my battery life!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post

I did not know that keeping WiFi on helps the battery life, I thought it was an extra drain. I get about two days out of a charge by closing all unused apps, and keeping GPS off.

By keeping WiFi on all the time, does this pose a security risk at all? Meaning, is this an open port for any unwanted access??
    Thanks
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts

I've heard using wifi when you have it helps it hurts when it is on and there is nothing to connect to.
    Thanked by:
    Ponyboy24 (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy24 View Post
    I did not know that keeping WiFi on helps the battery life, I thought it was an extra drain. I get about two days out of a charge by closing all unused apps, and keeping GPS off.

By keeping WiFi on all the time, does this pose a security risk at all? Meaning, is this an open port for any unwanted access??
    Thanks
    Keeping WIFI on only helps battery life when WIFI is available..... If there is no wifi to connect to, the searching for a signal will lessen your battery life. Typically i have access to Wifi more than not, so I just leave it on! When i am going to be somewhere for an extended period of time i will usually turn it off.
    Thanked by:
    Ponyboy24 (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy24 View Post

Thanks
    Keeping your WiFi on while it's connected to a wireless network helps your battery last longer. But if it's on while it is not connected to any wireless connection (other than your mobile network, of course) it will help the battery drain a little quicker.

About the security, there's really no security vulnerability if you're not connected to any network. I have actually conducted a test using numerous penetration testing softwares (pentest) to try exploiting to my BlackBerry. Yes, it's mapable using network mapper like NMAP, Wireshark, etc., but I beleive it's unpenetratable since there is no exploits to penetrate the OS.
    Thanked by:
    Ponyboy24 (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks for clearing that up. Appreciate it!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    PIN
    33098B95

When I first got my BB 9850, I was using about 12-14% an hour (7-8 hours on a charge). I use a lot of talk time, 30+ text messages a day and about 100 or so emails a day. My wireless, WiFi & blutooth were active all day.

I installed WiFi Manager and my usage is now 7-9% an hour or about 11-14 hours on a charge. But I still keep a wall/car charger in my bag (just in case).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse33 View Post
    I installed WiFi Manager and my usage is now 7-9% an hour or about 11-14 hours on a charge. But I still keep a wall/car charger in my bag (just in case).
    There is a paid app similar to WiFi Manager called "Smart WiFi", which, as I understand it, has a nicer user interface than WiFi Manager. As I understand it, these tools work by noticing which cell sites your phone is talking to to decide if you are near one of your saved WiFi networks, and using that information to turn your WiFi on and off. This is a cheap operation, since it does not involve using the radio; it just makes function calls to the cellular module to see what cell sites it is connected to.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    There is a paid app similar to WiFi Manager called "Smart WiFi", which, as I understand it, has a nicer user interface than WiFi Manager. As I understand it, these tools work by noticing which cell sites your phone is talking to to decide if you are near one of your saved WiFi networks, and using that information to turn your WiFi on and off. This is a cheap operation, since it does not involve using the radio; it just makes function calls to the cellular module to see what cell sites it is connected to.
    You're exactly right about that. I think this app will be a lot better if it uses your exact location using GPS. This app is very unreliable if you live in an area where's there's multiple cell towers, you're not always connected to the same cell towers in same locations.

Personally, I just leave WiFi off on mine since I'm usually getting full service at my house. I turn it on when I'm only streaming videos and music online.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    PIN
    Faber-Castell E-Motion Resin Ball Pen

Quote Originally Posted by mangcool View Post
    You're exactly right about that. I think this app will be a lot better if it uses your exact location using GPS. This app is very unreliable if you live in an area where's there's multiple cell towers, you're not always connected to the same cell towers in same locations.

Personally, I just leave WiFi off on mine since I'm usually getting full service at my house. I turn it on when I'm only streaming videos and music online.
    I do just the opposite and leave my WiFi turned on all the time. My 9850 easily lasts the day with pretty heavy use but I have saved WiFi connections at home, office, school, gym, etc. It makes for fast downloads when needed but since I'm in WiFi range for most of the day, there's no apparent issue with just keeping it on. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the 9850 battery life.
    Who's your BhagDaddy?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Yeah... View Post
    I do just the opposite and leave my WiFi turned on all the time. My 9850 easily lasts the day with pretty heavy use but I have saved WiFi connections at home, office, school, gym, etc. It makes for fast downloads when needed but since I'm in WiFi range for most of the day, there's no apparent issue with just keeping it on. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the 9850 battery life.
    Great to hear that! And yeah, it's nice to have WiFi hotspots everywhere you go. LOL! That's not the case for me, though. I go to a lot of places and most of the places I go to do not have WiFi hotspots.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mangcool View Post
    I think the problem would be that doing GPS location fixes all the time would use a lot more battery than just leaving WiFi on and polling for saved access points. The current implementation is very cheap with respect to battery usage. At least with Smart WiFi, it will automatically create a list of cell sites that it has seen while your access point is accessible. It seems to also use sector information; in my system, each cell site has has three 120-degree sectors, so that narrows down the area that will trigger the WiFi to be turned on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast