Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help please new BB user =)

I got my torch 9860 for 2 days now.. but i dont know why the battery life suck so much. like i charged it to 100% last night before i sleep then after 7 hours i woke up the battery is at 8% i didnt leave anything on, cause what i did was i updated the phone to 7.1 on my computer then transferred the charging to a real plug just to about 100%. i didnt know what will be the initial charging the 1st time i charged the phone i left it overnight, this was the 2nd time i charged the phone..

thank you for any feed backs and help
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,388 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

See how it goes after a few charge cycles.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default Re: Help please new BB user =)

im currently charging my phone i turned it off and plugged it, i read somewhere that after the battery reaches 100% leave it charging for 2 to 3 hours more... ill try this hopefully its the initial charging problem.. cause its brand new!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Sometimes lithium ion batteries do not start working at peak efficiency right away, give it a while and it should get to normal in about a weeks time. Also, remember to keep up with the latest builds of this phones os.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

I don't have a Torch, I have a Bold 9650, but I realized two things that always affect my battery life: 1. Being in an area with little signal. Just trying to get a signal for a few hours drains my battery. My phone is always set to search for hot spots too. I don't know if that affects it, but as soon as I turn off my mobile network and wi-fi connections, the power stabilizes. 2. If I leave certain apps open, that seems to drain my BB. I often hit the Menu key, go to Switch Application to see the Apps that are open, and turn off the ones that are not the default App icons. Normally, without the two reasons above, my battery lasts longer than any of my friends/family with their iPhones and Androids.

I also leave my BB charging or in the case during the day and have it shut off automatically from midnight to 8am every day.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Thanks for summing up all the basic tips

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'll definitely try your tips
    CrackBerry Abuser

If there is one single app that drains power more badly than most others, it would be the Social Feeds app. If you delete that, you might see significantly better battery life...
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2B5B8B6C Channel : C000213A1

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat665 View Post
    If there is one single app that drains power more badly than most others, it would be the Social Feeds app. If you delete that, you might see significantly better battery life...
    Indeed , most important one if you ask me. After deleting this , i was able to get 19hours out of it (with 2hours music player extra).
    Screen brightness on my bold is @10. Also the vibration i did change. Only a short one in place of the longer vibration. Background also turns off faster than it comes out of the box.(10sec).

If you have facebook , weather apps , twitter . Refresh them manually or maybe once in an hour also this makes a difference in daily use when everything is on and not turned off.
    Also try to use 2g only , not 2and3g. When you are in a wifi area, put it on data doesnt drain your battery that much if you are on wifi
    Good luck !
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

ooohhh first time i checked out the social feed on my phone.. then OMG every BS that all of my FB friends post and did was there.. but question is, is this running even if im not opening it? if so, maybe this is the culprit why my battery life suck so much... cause even though am not using the phone im getting 10% of battery life for 1 hr or less maybe .. even today my phone usage is that you can say at an average level i use it for BBM couple of pictures here and there but mostly talking on the phone with my clients from 6:30am i used the phone then battery empty at exactly 12:50pm ima delete this bad boy then observe the changes.. ..and one more thing guys how do you charge your phone, im sorry that this sounds silly to you but ive read many opinions about this and it got me messed up.. some people says its ok to leave it overnight charging, some people says that's a bad way to charge.. or do you charge while the phone is off or on.. thanks guys for the feedbacks .. BTW one more question.. Do i need a battery booster app? or are you guys using bat booster app? thanks bro's ima delete this bad boy then observe the changes..
    Last edited by abed0728; 11-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Like all programmes that use data connection, it will run in the background and use your battery power. The Social Feed app, Twitter, Facebook, if their settings are to check for new changes they will be using battery power. I suggest you look at their settings carefully. For the Twitter and Facebook app you can set it to not refresh in the background. I believe you can do the same for Social Feeds. I haven't used that app and deleted it a long time ago.

As for charging your phone, you can leave it charging overnight while it's on and in bedside mode. Once the battery is charged, current battery technologies have protection circuits that interrupts the electrical path so your battery doesn't overcharge, overheat, or explode. Please use the proper charger to prevent such occurrence. To leave it on or off while charging is your choice, it will not interfere with the integrity of your device or battery.

Battery boosters are a waste of money. The current BlackBerry OS has it's own monitoring application to oversee which application is using excessive battery power. If you optimize the settings to your everyday social apps, you won't need any other applications. Good luck.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2B5B8B6C Channel : C000213A1

Quote Originally Posted by abed0728 View Post
    ooohhh first time i checked out the social feed on my phone.. then OMG every BS that all of my FB friends post and did was there.. but question is, is this running even if im not opening it? if so, maybe this is the culprit why my battery life suck so much... cause even though am not using the phone im getting 10% of battery life for 1 hr or less maybe .. even today my phone usage is that you can say at an average level i use it for BBM couple of pictures here and there but mostly talking on the phone with my clients from 6:30am i used the phone then battery empty at exactly 12:50pm ima delete this bad boy then observe the changes.. ..and one more thing guys how do you charge your phone, im sorry that this sounds silly to you but ive read many opinions about this and it got me messed up.. some people says its ok to leave it overnight charging, some people says that's a bad way to charge.. or do you charge while the phone is off or on.. thanks guys for the feedbacks .. BTW one more question.. Do i need a battery booster app? or are you guys using bat booster app? thanks bro's ima delete this bad boy then observe the changes..
    I would not install any battery booster apps , every app needs some power to run , so the more apps the more juice you'll loose....normally if you use all the tips everybody gave you , it should be fine with your battery
    CrackBerry Addict

Also remember that a lithium ion batter works best when it is kept charged. It is better to charge it whenever you have a chance rather than letting it run down before charging it. I keep mine plugged in at night and have it on bedside mode. I use a case with the magnet in it so it takes advantage of the sleep mode which dramatically helps battery life. When I have it next to me I often simply place it on top of the case and the sleep mode is activated.