CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,323 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Had to do it

Stuck with the Torch for a few months, and really wanted to like it - but just couldn't. Please don't take this as an indictment of the Torch - it's a fine phone, but I just missed a phyisical keyboard too much. For eBay browsers, you may stumble across my old Torch next week - it's still in fine shape.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Genius

I hear ya.. Its not for everyone. I came from 9800 which gave me the best of both worlds so when it was time for an upgrade the switch was not so bad. It did not take long for me to get used to the phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts

I have owned both and currently have the 9850 with no regrets. I liked the physical keyboard but the landscape on the torch makes up for the loss. I don't have any problem with the keyboards on the torch at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A006EA

I have owned the 9780 (kown for it's amazing keyboard) and the current 9860. I can say that it needed getting used to. But now, I type equally as fast on the 9860. Yes, I agree that the keys can be slightly spaced out to make the typing experience better, but nothing is stopping me from enjoying my 9860 experience.

Shame that you're letting it go next week...
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ESN View Post
    I have owned both and currently have the 9850 with no regrets. I liked the physical keyboard but the landscape on the torch makes up for the loss. I don't have any problem with the keyboards on the torch at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    I agree. It took some time to get used to, but after I customized the typing settings to my liking, the phone is really fast when sending e-mails. There are times I miss the physical keyboard but really love the large screen more.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Default Had to do it

I don't blame you. i had a 9850 which was great for browsing and multi- media. These phones also have terrible memory leak which really compromised the overall performance of the phone. I have since moved on to a 9930 which suffers w the same OS issues and memory leak. I prefer touch screens for the larger viewing real estate but the 9930 is far better than the 9850 for heavy emails and text messaging especially in portrait mode.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    18,378 Global Posts

I love my 9650, but want a faster experience. I'd buy a 9790 if it were available in CDMA but it isn't. I really like the 9930, but the fixed focus camera is a show stopper for me. I'm really mixed about giving up the keyboard, but figure that one day, I might have to/want to (BB10). I like the idea of the bigger screen and the nicer camera. I'm not sure if I'll miss not having NFC on a 9850 (as opposed to having it on a 9930). But all that aside, it's really coming down to giving up the keyboard for me.

For people who like the 9850/60, how do you work around the very handy keyboard shortcuts? For the people who don't, what specifically are your issues with the keyboard. Some of you are starting to get into it here and I'd appreciate some real specifics.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread - just looking for more specifics as to why you "had to do it".

@jegs2 - Have you sold it yet?
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by louzer View Post
    For people who like the 9850/60, how do you work around the very handy keyboard shortcuts? For the people who don't, what specifically are your issues with the keyboard.
    Generally 1 shortcut on real keyboard = 2 taps on touchscreen. You get used to this, ultimately can navigate just as fast on 9860 as on 9900.

No issues with the 9850/60 KB. One gets the knack within a week . The KB in OS 7.1.xxx is a bit snappier & more accurate.