Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Frozen Backup on 9850; Stuck on "Social Feeds"

Alright so I was going to install the newest 7.1 OS but first of all I had to back up my phone. I did this using Blackberry Desktop Software but unfortunately that failed me, so I just decided to plug my Torch 9850 into my wall charger and let the phone update OTA. Well the phone has to back up to itself too (which makes no sense at all) and now I have encountered a problem. The backup process is frozen/stuck on the Social Feeds part and it is only 8% completed. I've tried to pull out my battery, and when I rebooted the phone it instantly started to back up again. I've tried to reconnect it to Blackberry Desktop Manager but my computer does not even recognize it because it is backing up. I've even left my phone's battery out over night hoping that would kill the battery but that didn't do jack crap. Any other solutions out there to stop the backup process on the phone itself? I'll attach a picture to show my problem so hopefully you guys can get a better understanding of my situation.

Sorry about the black bars, I had to take a picture from my iPod.

EDIT 3/23/12 1:29PM CST:
    Putting the phone into safe mode doesn't work and it isn't a nuked OS, it is just stuck backing up "Social Feeds" for some reason. Every time I remove the phone from the battery, the OS starts up but immediately wants to back up for some reason. The backup process is perfectly fine until it reaches "Social Feeds," which is 8% every time. I can't remove that application from my phone because Blackberry Desktop Manager can't connect to it while the phone is "backing up". I am at an impasse.

EDIT 3/23/12 3:47PM CST:
    It's fixed, you just need a lot of patience dealing with Blackberry issues.
    Last edited by Pain975; 03-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    3318D20B

Yeah, does the same here, but just gotta wait for it Lol
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

just delete social feed from the phone and it will work it happened to my 9900
    CrackBerry Addict

CrackBerry Newbie

Exclamation Same here! HELP!

I upgraded to 7.1 yesterday and chose to allow the upgrade to take place during the night. I woke up to find it stuck on backing up social feeds: 7 hours later! I've tried a hard reset and same result. I've tried connecting it to my desktop manager but it won't connect. How did you get it to work? Please help. This is my only phone!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMcduff View Post
    I upgraded to 7.1 yesterday and chose to allow the upgrade to take place during the night. I woke up to find it stuck on backing up social feeds: 7 hours later! I've tried a hard reset and same result. I've tried connecting it to my desktop manager but it won't connect. How did you get it to work? Please help. This is my only phone!
    Follow my link above and it will solve the problem. You need to fix the problem first then you can do the upgrade. You will get stuck at the back up every time until you fix the Social Feed/Smart Card corrupted data issue.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Stuck on social feeds

I've got the same issue, how do i delete social feeds when once i switch on my phone it automatically starts the backup process and get stuck at 17% on social feeds.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebeedoo View Post
    I've got the same issue, how do i delete social feeds when once i switch on my phone it automatically starts the backup process and get stuck at 17% on social feeds.
    Hit Cancel and stop the back up process before it starts. Run the fix, then do the back up.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Social Feeds

I got the same problem here, but when i tried to clear the social feeds, It got stuck again bcos it necessarily need to back up it first. Any resolve for this matter?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I found the solution already. Choose clear data, click the selected data and choose the social feeds. Don't forget to uncheck backup before clear data. It will delete it. )
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default need to cancel first

But i need to cancel or stop the update first! And it doesn't show a "cancel button". How i can???
    CrackBerry Newbie

But i need to cancel or stop the update first! And it doesn't show a "cancel button". How i can??
    CrackBerry Newbie

How did you end up fixing this?!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

This doesn't work for me as I have downloaded the OS directly to the phone and not through my computer. I've been at this 4 hours and I'm more than a bit pissed off.

Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Newbie

this has happened to me did you fix it??
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm attempting to update my 9850. I had fixed the backup problems mentioned above last year, but now it's been stuck on backing up the SMS messages (378 of 386 items) for over an hour. Before I started the backup I did a backup manually and everything went fine (and quickly). Should I just leave it overnight (it's now 11 PM EDT) or can I disconnect it and try again later after I delete all the SMS messages.
    CrackBerry Genius

One over-the-air update from Sprint hosed my 9850 a while ago. Since I run GNU/Linux, I had to install the Windows 7 that came with my netbook into Virtual Box, a virtual machine. After that, I used Desktop Manager to fix it. In the course of doing this, I discovered that the restore process is fairly robust, as Virtual Box would lose the USB connection a few times. So... my suggestion to you is to disconnect the USB cable, wait a moment, and reconnect. Hopefully that will kickstart it again.

Here's my experience (5th message down):

Desktop Manager with Linux
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Work Around fix for frozen social feeds.

Hey guys,

So I just encountered the same problem. I updated my bb 9900 over wifi, and it froze on social feeds. There doesn't seem to be a way to access anything to cancel it or start a back up on the pc, whilst the previous one is already running.

Work Around:

Start up your bb desktop manager on pc.
    Pull the battery out of your phone, and plug it into your computer.
    You can force it to update the device whilst the phone is off and battery is out.
    The update will get half way and then it will tell you to reconnect your phone to your pc as it can't find it. Don't unplug it!
    Put the battery back in your phone whilst it is still connected to the pc and keep hitting the retry button on the pc.
    My phone eventually went into update mode on the pc.
    My media was all still saved on the device. But I backed it up to pc now!

Hopefully this is useful for you guys, I was going ape sh*t this morning throwing a tantrum. Had to resort to using my iphone for calls!

Truly blessed this morning.

Good luck guys.
    Last edited by lrfbb; 06-29-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    DeeDudnath (11-20-2012),  giovannavz (01-10-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Frozen Backup on 9850; Stuck on "Social Feeds"

PLEASE help me. the exact same thing is happening and i have no clue what to do?
    did you just wait? or what. please help
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    stripes watched the playoffs from their couch...GO SOX!

My phone will not cancel out of the update. I'm stuck and a battery pull doesn't help, the desktop manager won't connect, I'm stuck and it won't let me move forward. Please help. I'm extremely frustrated with blackberry right now.
    Favorite quote of a San Diego Chargers fan:

It's a rebuilding year!
    CrackBerry Newbie

hey
    please please help me. i also have the backing up problem as it gets stuck on social feeds. i cannot connect it to the computer or do anything. when i switch my phone off and on it automatically starts backing up and gets stuck again what must i do???
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    PIN
    K

things happening to my bb 9900 and i'm so stressed about it, please help me
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have over 15 hrs over 3 days with BB TECH support on my 9850 and the same problem re occurs. Wiping my phone re installing OS and doing the restore from BB Protect and then installing apps it eventually freezes about 3/4 thru on re boot. RIM / BB says my RAM is broken and their is nothing they can do because I'm out of warranty,(1 month and a few days) and VZW will not let me send it in to them for a physical repair. We actually installed 3 new free apps from App world,rebooting after each and on the third one the reboot locked up. Does anyone know what the solution is or some place that can repair the RAM I can send it to? My contract is not up until Sept of 2013. VZW is all set to let me have no phone but contiue to pay 10 more months! You know I have the Social Feeds app could that be the problem and not the RAM?
    Last edited by LCromwell; 11-04-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add some words
    The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long, after the cheapness of price is forgotten.
    CrackBerry Newbie

This fixed it! Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by lrfbb View Post
    Hey guys,

So I just encountered the same problem. I updated my bb 9900 over wifi, and it froze on social feeds. There doesn't seem to be a way to access anything to cancel it or start a back up on the pc, whilst the previous one is already running.

Work Around:

Start up your bb desktop manager on pc.
    Pull the battery out of your phone, and plug it into your computer.
    You can force it to update the device whilst the phone is off and battery is out.
    The update will get half way and then it will tell you to reconnect your phone to your pc as it can't find it. Don't unplug it!
    Put the battery back in your phone whilst it is still connected to the pc and keep hitting the retry button on the pc.
    My phone eventually went into update mode on the pc.
    My media was all still saved on the device. But I backed it up to pc now!

Hopefully this is useful for you guys, I was going ape sh*t this morning throwing a tantrum. Had to resort to using my iphone for calls!

Truly blessed this morning.

Good luck guys.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    PIN
    3302BA9D

Hey Guys... I started the OTA download last night, started the update and got the freeze on the "Social Feeds". I thought WTF... here we go... was in no mood to mess with this crap... Went to bed got up just a few minutes ago and update had completed. Have no clue why mine completed. God Speed to everyone that is having problems....
    CrackBoDock
    The next level of cool BB10
    VZW BlackBerry Torch 9850
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
    "You'd still complain even if they
    hung you with a brand new rope!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast