Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Bricked
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default first charge for battery

I'm going to charge my battery first time. I read some where advice that:
    1. Use the battery until it empty
    2. Plugin charger at least 8 to 12 hours
    So can you leave some comments?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

That's mostly true for old NiMH batteries. Newer Lithium (Li-ION or Li-Poly) battery does not need to be charged from empty. You can pretty much charge it up whenever you like because there will be no memory effect and it's actually better for the battery to be topped up whenever you can.

The same goes for the duration of the charging. When it reach 100%, it will stop charging, and it will not over-charge. It doesn't matter whether you put it in the charger for 3 hours or 12 hours.

I always charge my phone overnight when I'm sleeping and everytime I drive in my car.

The new Li-ion batteries do not like to be discharged fully. That may cause some loss of overall function. Topping up often is much better for these batteries as they do not have the memory issues of the past. Check out this article for more information and advice: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

I think the OP is referring to a one-time "conditioning", where when you first get the phone, you charge fully, drain fully, charge fully, and from then on, recharge at your convenience. This is different from the "memory" issue for nickel-based batteries, which suggests that you fully drain the battery every time before recharging; this issue does not apply to lithium batteries, which, as mentioned, really prefer to be "topped off" and not drained completely. Some people swear by the conditioning process, other pooh-pooh it.