• 1 Post By 1magine
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Feature most excited for?

It will be here soon. Maybe 30-45 days. So just curious, what 2-3 features is everyone most excited about? Especially if you're coming from an S1 or S2.

For me in order: CPU/RAM - Blackberries have always been so slow, the new combination is a real game changer. I am really excited about seeing this in action.

Application Memory- Application Memory - Application Memory. The absolute bane of BB existence. No longer is media memory and application memory walled off from eachother. It is one decent solid block of memory that should keep these devices from slowing down, no matter how many apps you have.

Finally a tie between the new web browser (I'm still on OS5 browser) and the inclusion of FLAC as a supported media type. I'm getting a 32G sd for just this purpose.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

ill be coming from a 9700 and i just hope they finally get the touch right!
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

My top three:

1. Application memory. Having enough so I can install all of the apps I want instead of swapping back and forth, or looking at a cool new app and deciding I can't spare the 4 MB to install it.

2. Processor + OpenGL use for native OS functions. Looking forward to not having random pauses, stuttering animations, and hourglass.

3. 800x480 screen. Not just the added pixels and much higher ppi, but the widescreen ratio will make it better for video.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K9K9K9K9K9

Still using the S1, so I want a device I don't have to reset everyday to recoup my memory.
    I like hanging around dealerships, telling satisfied customers they bought the wrong car.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

Enhanced virtual keyboard

A non-surepress large touchscreen BB that does NOT lag.

NFC and magnometer for augmented reality / virtual reality apps.

And the themes. I've never had a torch (I'm on verizon), but the full touch screen themes have huge potential (but they always lagged on my S2, and surepress made things weird too).
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Application memory is a huge thing. I remember Kevin FINALLY blogging about this 2 years ago prior to that year's CES. But I also remember he interviewed the development exec and failed to hold his feet to the fire w/r/t this. Now I bet they both wish he had. Might have saved RIM allot of grief. Nearly 10X the application memory, and most of what it took was a change in software (mapping the OS). Seriously that S1 has what a gig of on-board memory for media/documents, but only 40megs for applications? Yeah OS7 is going to be sweet for us BES users.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Abuser

1magine,

I think I've seen many of your posts, am I correct in saying you're stuck with BB due to work? I'm in that boat. I had loved my BB for a long time, but seriously, is this phone going to make it relevant with Iphone or Android? My work is now toying with the idea of opening up the platforms and letting us carry what we want. If that happens, I may try the Iphone. I guess I'll wait till IP5 and the Monaco both come out to base my decision. Feel like I've wasted a year with my S2, all the bugs, etc, (first year was great) and could have tried something else, but with my work paying the bill, I couldn't justify it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Exactly - stuck on BES. Large international firm, based in Chicago, I'm in NY office.

We moved to exchange server in May, and a few in IT are testing straight exchange on android and IOS. But this will not come before January. Law Firms especially A -list firms are slow to change, and generally move in lock step. This process is very delicate as RIM has close dealings with many of these firms. Prevents the little guy from hiring any big guns against them.

Short answer (too late?) no. The Monaco is esentially the Droid Incredible, without the really nice UI of HTC Sense. That makes it esentially at least a generation behind the latest leading edge devices. That said, amongst the BES crowd all the 2011 devices will be HUUUUGGGEE! For the NA and European consumer, not so much. Especially as IP5 appears headed to ALL carriers.

But the Monaco/Monza will hold me over until I have options. Though, my least exciting part are those butfugly buttons.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks for the reply. I work at a small company, so the issue here is the servers. They invested in a BES server, and I think regret it. ****, the owner carries an Iphone. I use mine for personal business as well, and kept justifying keeping BB because of the messaging superiority, and the fact my 9-5 was sporting the bill. I'm a gadget buy too, like the idea of being able to actually surf the web, etc, so it's been tough to not try other platforms. If they open it up here, I think I'm gone, as it seems Iphone is no longer just a toy, and is at least on par with BB in terms of messaging. I was never a BBM guy anyway. If they the IP5 has an actual led notification, I'm not sure what I'd miss by leaving BB.
    CrackBerry Genius

Simple for me, and same as you - CPU, App space.
    CrackBerry Addict

CPU and wifi hotspot are my 2 most important features.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts

No more surepress.

Good Luck

iPhone 4S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

HD video recording=awesome

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post

Short answer (too late?) no. The Monaco is esentially the Droid Incredible, without the really nice UI of HTC Sense. That makes it esentially at least a generation behind the latest leading edge devices. That said, amongst the BES crowd all the 2011 devices will be HUUUUGGGEE! For the NA and European consumer, not so much. Especially as IP5 appears headed to ALL carriers.

But the Monaco/Monza will hold me over until I have options. Though, my least exciting part are those butfugly buttons.
    I don't think you can say that the Monaco is just the Droid Incredible a year later. The two OSes are really different, and my moms droid2 with it's 1Ghz processor lags as much as my Bold at times (especially when sliding homescreens, it's not fluid at all). And the droid has some annoying bugs itself. So if my bold can match it with half the processor speed, I'm really interested to see how quick and fluid these new BBs will be. Droid isn't my thing, and i have an ipod touch and iPad go cure my iOS desires, I just love BBs messaging system, themes and some other small things... I just cant wait for a faster and nicer looking device (the Bold is pretty durable, but its looks like it's made of cheap plastic .... Granted the S2 had an amazing build quality).
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I wouldn't say the Monaco/Monza is a Droid Incredible. It's a Droid Incredible with an extra 200 MHz clock speed, 50% more memory, 802.11n Wi-Fi, HD video recording and NFC. Saying it's halfway between the original Incredible and the Incredible 2 is more fair IMO. But it's also fair to say that the Incredible 2 is not exactly cutting-edge for an Android phone.

If you're looking for a physical size/weight and screen size/resolution comparison, that's where the original Droid Incredible is almost exactly spot-on.
    RideRed250 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I've been waiting for this phone for so long! :P

I can't wait for this phone to be officially released because of its processor (1.2 GHz). And it's gonna have HD video recording, I think 720p? I also love its size and form, and also its overall design. And of course, BlackBerry 7. It's gonna be my FIRST ever touchscreen BlackBerry. :P

The thing I'm not really liking right now is its hardware keys. Check out some of these photos by N4BB.

http://n4bb.com/6569/new-photos-of-b...-new-keys-os-7

The keys make the phone looking kind of cheap and sort of unappealing to me. I just hope they change those hardware keys before the official release.
    Last edited by mangcool; 07-07-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

Think the ATT keys will be the same? Verizon went to a lot of trouble pinching every last penny on their Bold phones.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe <~ (Right Click) RUN AS ADMINASTRATOR
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

It looks like I'm not alone with my thoughts about the physical buttons. Wonder how RIM could have missed that with even the smallest bit of market research. It will not stop me from buying it, (I'm on BES though) but from a consumer standpoint - which this is heavily geared to, It makes no sense. I imagine there must have been a very large engineering road block (electrical or software) that pushed the decision. We'll probably never hear about it.

As I read through responses, I am also reminded of how much more there is to these new devices, beyond the base hardware upgrades which are impressive.
    Ad Lucem

mangcool likes this.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Q: Feature most excited for?

A: The demise of the stupid clicky-Surepress screen!

Though I'd never go back to a touchscreen Berry, Motorola and HTC do it right, RIM does not.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Quote Originally Posted by jem9777 View Post
    I wouldn't say the Monaco/Monza is a Droid Incredible. It's a Droid Incredible with an extra 200 MHz clock speed, 50% more memory, 802.11n Wi-Fi, HD video recording and NFC. Saying it's halfway between the original Incredible and the Incredible 2 is more fair IMO. But it's also fair to say that the Incredible 2 is not exactly cutting-edge for an Android phone.

If you're looking for a physical size/weight and screen size/resolution comparison, that's where the original Droid Incredible is almost exactly spot-on.
    Point conceded. Though I thought the DINC had 'N', and HD recording.

As for lag, I use my son's (bought on release day) most weekend's and the thing flies. And he's loaded it with a ton of apps (allot of crap - but some pretty cool stuff too).

There's no comparison in the web browsing department, but I don't expect RIM will ever fully catch up there. (No PB comments, PB does not run through the NOC, let alone a BES server) Sending all data through the NOC, and if you're on BES the further relay makes it really hard to compete with a more direct connection. My hope is RIM has invested some considerable time and energy making the compression process more streamlined and the addittional processing speed and RAM helps boost the browsing experience.

Widgets would have been cool in OS7, but I don't think they even created APIs for these yet in QNX.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

I have no problems with the hardware keys. they do its job. I prefer them over some capacitive job. I agree they could have at least done a little more work into making the buttons appealing.

Definitely More application space. It was the biggest annoyance. Everything else is a bonus really.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by zensen View Post
    I have no problems with the hardware keys. they do its job. I prefer them over some capacitive job. I agree they could have at least done a little more work into making the buttons appealing.

Definitely More application space. It was the biggest annoyance. Everything else is a bonus really.
    The hardware keys isn't a "deal breaker" for me. I'd still buy the Monza/Monaco even if they release it with those ugly buttons. :P

I'm just hoping they would change the style of the hardware buttons like those on the previous Storms or the Torch.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    PIN
    332277ED

um Wifi hotspot
    Blackberry is diddie-up dope!
    FoxxBerry is the device
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    ... Application Memory- Application Memory - Application Memory. The absolute bane of BB existence. No longer is media memory and application memory walled off from eachother. It is one decent solid block of memory that should keep these devices from slowing down, no matter how many apps you have. ...
    1magine, we may not always agree, but you seem to be one of the more solid posters on here. Can I ask (1) how you know this, and (2) how certain you are of this?

It's huge, and I'd love for it to be true, but I've heard contradicting info and nothing really concrete.

TIA - R.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,842 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    1magine, we may not always agree, but you seem to be one of the more solid posters on here. Can I ask (1) how you know this, and (2) how certain you are of this?

It's huge, and I'd love for it to be true, but I've heard contradicting info and nothing really concrete.

TIA - R.

I don't have device in hand- so I would not say 100%. I have spoken to several people who have them in hand however.