Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By ridemaster
  • 1 Post By Undenied
  • 2 Post By BoldPreza
  • 2 Post By PatrickMJS
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Dilemma: stay with 9850 or maybe 9860 or iPhone...

I'll try to keep this short.

Basically, I'm on Sprint, have the 9850, it's CDMA, I get 3G in America. But I'm stuck with Sprint. I can't unlock it and go to another carrier like "Straight Talk" or "Cricket" 'cause I'll only be with 2G or talk/text; 3G on GSM will only work outside of the US.

The reason for wanting to get out of Sprint is because there's 2 phones in my plan and I'm paying $182/m for really bad service. In an ideal world, I would unlock my phone and get pay-as-you-go for $50/m to get unlimited minutes/text/data. I know this isn't the Sprint forum but I'll get to why I'm posting this in the first place

So, I just want to know if people here would recommend buying an unlocked 9860 instead, or buy an unlocked iPhone, and if so, what should I do with my Sprint BlackBerry Torch 9850? I don't like selling things on eBay, I've never done it before and I'm thinking if I end up selling it I would rather want it to go to someone from the CrackBerry forums. What do you guys think I should do with my mobile?

Cheers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2ACB19A0

Default Re: Dilemma: stay with 9850 or maybe 9860 or iPhone...

side by side the 9860 is a better phone than the iphone 4s, the i5 being slightly better.

go the route of the 9860/50
    presently rocking a trio of Zeddy,Q10,PB.
    BlackBerry by Choice
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridemaster View Post
    side by side the 9860 is a better phone than the iphone 4s, the i5 being slightly better.

No it's not. Op if you can't go wrong with either choice. If you're a fan of the torch, then buy one. You would save a lot of money if you decide to go that route. However the iPhone 4S is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,511 Global Posts

Go with the iPhone. You know you want to or you wouldn't ask. Then when BB10 comes out you can have another dilemma.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Go with the iPhone. You know you want to or you wouldn't ask. Then when BB10 comes out you can have another dilemma.
    I would stay with the torch until bb10, that is if you like it. The 4S is nice but if you want an Iphone I would go for the 5, not the 4S.

Anyways BB for life!

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    The reason why I brought up the iphone is because they're easier to find unlocked and not bolted down with Sprint or AT&T. See when I turn on my Torch, Sprint's logo is burned into the firmware and it's a hassle to get them to release it from its grip. Then there's the issue of tweaking it for data to work (I've read you just can't unlock it and slip in a SIM card and expect it to work flawlessly)

I've never owned an Apple product, my sister's the only one who has a iPod nano so I'm not a fanboy. I've been with BlackBerry since the 8530 was the latest and greatest. I just wish it wasn't such a hassle to have great phones like the 9850 tied down to two big companies who suck and suck out money hot and fast as a gold digger.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,511 Global Posts

Hear that. My carrier won't allow a phone that isn't branded by them.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridemaster View Post

Better in what way? The 4s is much faster with a much better web browser and the camera in the 4s is one of the best cellphone cameras, The 9860 doesn't have the worst BB camera (that would be the 9900) but its pretty bad.

The 9860 has a poor app selection and an OS which is about to be phased out.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts

Sorry but the 4S is not significantly better. The browsers are almost as fast as each other, in fact I would say equal, the screen resolutuon of the 9860 to my eye is equal, and the smoothness of the OS is right there with the 4S.

Where the 4S is better in my opinion is having that ffc, app selection, and while I don't find the camera quality better, I do find the camera on the 4S is much quicker and that is a major difference.

To the OP, I would recommend trying out the 9860 as its cheaper than going 4S, then when BB10 launches get that.
    8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9860, Z10! Spider-Man case FTW!!!
    NightSlayer and PatrickMJS like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

The camera on the 9860 is one of its most undersold features and consistently takes better pictures than the 4s and any earlier models. Don't know how it compares with the camera in the i5. The apps gap is big but I find I get what I want to do on my phone done with the available apps.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2941
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm in the same boat. Sprint is definitely ruining my blackberry experience and I wish I never left AT&T. I don't know if you can even use an unlocked iphone on sprint so I wouldn't recommend that but getting a sprint iphone instead. So it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend in the end.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Better in what way? The 4s is much faster with a much better web browser and the camera in the 4s is one of the best cellphone cameras, The 9860 doesn't have the worst BB camera (that would be the 9900) but its pretty bad.

The 9860 has a poor app selection and an OS which is about to be phased out.
    I'm with you on this one. the torch compares more to the iphone 4 but the 4s is a better phone than the torch. But its always a matter of opinion because I have both phones but I'm always using my blackberry the most even though the 4s is better.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use 9860 and 4s also and in terms of camera, 9860 is better than 4s, especially in video mode. I use 4s just for whatsapp, play some games, phone call, sms. My work horse is my 9860 with 2 spare batteries so i'm not worry that i'm going out of juice. Emails using 9860 is better than 4s.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Z10 + 64GB PB
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,098 Global Posts

Oh, no.....I can see the route this is taking...lol

Comparing the 9850 or 9860 to the iPhone is not the way to go.

Do you want to stay with BB? Then either consider the 9860 or the Torch 9810.

If you are considering an iPhone, then take into account that you'll have a new OS to play with, and it may or may not
    work for you.

I'd hate to see this thread degrade into another BB vs. Apple thread.

Good luck, OP!
    CrackBerry Genius

if i not mistaken, 9850 is cdma/gsm compatible,,, if you want to switch carriers & keep your phone you can unlock it yourself or have it done here or elsewhere for a small fee,,, do a search,,, as for the iphone, (i) am (i)gnorant...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm with AT&T, using a 9860. Where can I go to use it as a "Pay as you go"?. I'm thinking about giving the 9860 to my girlfriend, shes not to savvy on email, but she would like to text and possibly have internet. I want a Z10 so bad!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts

If your ATT Berry is unlocked you can use it on simplemobile and get true BIS prepaid unlimited for $50 a month. IF its not unlocked you can use it on H2O mobile but they do not offer Blackberry BIS.

Op, its up to you on an iPhone vs a Berry. I jumped ship last year and went with an iPhone 4s. I appreciated the iOS but missed the communication savvy of Blackberry so I came back to Black. I'll never stray from BBerry again, but thats my opinion to fit my needs. Im a heavy business user whom needs elegant and swift communication structure of email and text. I DONT NEED APPS IN EXCESS. You may have different needs.
    Good luck with your decision.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BBerryPowerUser View Post
    If your ATT Berry is unlocked you can use it on simplemobile and get true BIS prepaid unlimited for $50 a month. IF its not unlocked you can use it on H2O mobile but they do not offer Blackberry BIS.

Op, its up to you on an iPhone vs a Berry. I jumped ship last year and went with an iPhone 4s. I appreciated the iOS but missed the communication savvy of Blackberry so I came back to Black. I'll never stray from BBerry again, but thats my opinion to fit my needs. Im a heavy business user whom needs elegant and swift communication structure of email and text. I DONT NEED APPS IN EXCESS. You may have different needs.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Simplemobile is out, they don't have service where I live. H20 is better. What about T-Mobile or AT&T Go phone a more common carrier?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts

Simple Mobile is an MVNO of T-Mo so if Simple is out, T-Mo is probably out. H2O is an MVNO of ATT, as is Go-Phone. Compare the 2 and see who has the best dollar per use plan that works for you.
    Unfortunately, only Simple Mobile has a true BlackBerry BIS plan.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

I own a 9850 and like it. But go with the IPhone. Apps for the 9850 suck for the most part.

Go with something that is well supported.
    Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.3.0.1130
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526 and a P.O.S.!
    [B]BlackBerry continues to act anti-American! Another no U.S. launch for the largest dollar making country (BBs own numbers) for them on the planet![B]
    CrackBerry Genius

Go with the Z10. It is very well supported and it will keep you in the world of BB goodness, namely security, efficiency, durability. If you really need Netflix and Instagram and access to the Apple app store, you probably should consider an iPhone.

I am getting my Z10 on Tuesday. I'd like to have Netflix & Instagram too, and maybe they will come to BB10 later this year, maybe they won't, but for me the BB goodness is too good. I just don't want a phone than can be hacked. My personal information is safe on the BlackBerry product, and it would not be safe on an Apple product. For me, that trumps the access to the Apple app store.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2941
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917