Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By konner920
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Considering a BB Torch 9860

I've used iOS, Windows Phone and Android in my time of using smartphones. I've never owned a blackberry. I've been considering other options such as a blackberry, or the Nokia N8 or N9. I'm bored of windows phone, android and iOS. I want something new, and I've been looking at a unlocked torch 9860 on amazon, they run new for about 270, not a bad price so it's one of my options.

I read a while back the touch screen keyboard for the torch 9860 was horrid, or was that the 9850?

I absolutely cannot stand physical keyboards, hence why I'm wanting the 9860. So I had some questions

1. Hows the battery life?
    2. Hows the performance?
    3. Is there/does the spotify app work properly and is there a Kik messenger? these apps are **** poor on Windows phone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

I think you should definitely give it a try. I always wanted to try the 9850/9860 series and I'm glad I did. IMO it's an awesome device. The on screen keyboard is not a problem for me once I got used to it and I'm even talking about the keyboard in portrait mode..I am typing this now in portrait mode with no problem at all. It's a great BlackBerry and works very well. The camera also takes great pictures and I think that the speaker phone on this phone is awesome...very loud and clear. I glad I picked up this phone. The 9850/60 are the exact same device except the 9850 is CDMA and the 9860 is GSM. You should try it out..I wouldn't read any of the reviews that you see online. They are the worst reviews and would lead you to believe it's an awful phone. The good thing is if you get it and don't like it, you can always resell. Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    konner920 (12-23-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts

Honestly with bb10 right around the corner I wouldn't bother...
    Sent from my Z10 or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) + a deceased BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig
    CrackBerry User

The 9860 is a great phone and works great, but if you can hold out or afford to upgrade to BB10 I think it will be worth the wait.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    Honestly with bb10 right around the corner I wouldn't bother...
    well, with the new BB10 devices most likely going to cost around 400-500 dollars unlocked, I couldnt afford it. I'd have to go with what i can get. I REALLY want as BB10 device though, QNX intrigues me, and I really enjoy the UI.

I still have a few days since I didnt get my money on the 21st, so I'll decide between the N8 or the 9860.
    CrackBerry Addict

I love my 9860, but I too would wait for BB10.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks to darogers for actually answering my concerns instead of saying "Just wait for BB10" I'm not looking to pay over 600 bucks for a phone right now. I'm looking at different options on the market today, as i'm tired of android, ios and windows phone.
    Thanked by:
    dlrogers81 (12-23-2012) 
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

I just jumped back from my 9930 to my 9850. It is a great phone. The virtual keyboard is great in landscape mode. In portrait I can't type on it all that well. Battery is about a day on the latest official carrier OS builds, if you are in a decent coverage area.

There is no Spotify for the classic BlackBerry OS. Not sure about Kik but I doubt it is on BB OS either since BB's are all about BBM.

BlackBerry 10 will have all these apps, most likely.

Oh, and the performance on the Torch is very snappy for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    PIN
    it's in the haystack

1.Battery is pretty awesome, made it through the day with NO problems.
    2. Performance is pretty slick, my browser on my SG3 is a lot faster, but the best browser for BB to date.
    3.never used Spotify, but Kik I never could work, it always had a pop up Window to notify me of notifications, but I had to switch to Touch for BeBuzz to work.

My only gripe was the portrait mode typing, I just couldn't do it, I had to type everything in landscape. Others tried to tell me that I would get used to it, but after 4 months, I still couldn't. Sure type wasn't for me either.

All in all great phone, used on eBay for $100.
    CrackBerry Master

No one knows exactly what the BB10 is going to cost. Why not wait it out and see first? THEN if it is out of your range go for the 9860. You would be kicking yourself if you didn't at least wait to hear how much money it is going to cost before you make your decision. This is what I would do if in your situation. I understand where you are coming from, but everyone just assumes that it is going to cost that much, when it may not be as bad as some may believe
    CrackBerry Abuser

One thing is for sure, if you wait for BB10, the 9860 will go way down in price.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

the bb 9860 and 9850 keyboard is the same i love it! fast enough and hardly make errors while typing! But i would advice you juat to wait for blackberry 10!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi there,

Just picked up a new 9860 for £150, what a bargain. Wife has a S3 mini and this gives it a good run.

Best of all contacts and calendar from 9900 synchronised perfectly

Great phone, should have got one ealier

thanks
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

I love my 9850... the keyboard is manageable; I've gotten used to it and can type fairly fast on it, and I come from BB with a keyboard. As much as I love my Torch, I'd suggest you wait till the BB10 phones come out. I wish I was eligible for an upgrade so I could give it a try. Either way, hope you give BB a try!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2ACB19A0

I have the 9900 , and have always wanted the 9860, so i ended up finding a good deal on one, and totally love it. the screen is pretty darn good, camera works great with auto focus.
    having said that BB10 with far outperform anything on the market presently so you could have the best phone on the market come early feb.
    presently rocking a trio of Zeddy,Q10,PB.
    BlackBerry by Choice
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

+1

I am 9860 owner. Its better BB Storm at best. Wait for the BB10 or Samsung G3
    Banned

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    PIN
    5028A10E

The thing I hate the MOST about being a 9850 owner is that EVERYWHERE I go, people see it and say, "Oh...I didn't know BB had a touch screen....I thought they were all keyboards"
    No respect from the BB crowd AND no respect from the "others."
    If BB had offered the 9850 instead of the Storm 2, there is no way....NO WAY....Android and iOS would be where they are now. I firmly believe the Storm POS's destroyed BB. But when I got the 9850 (after the Storm 1 AND 2) I thought, "Now THIS is what I'm talking about it." I'm going to get a BB10....but my 9850 has been kicking *** for two years....I love it
    Thanked by:
    PatrickMJS (01-16-2013) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    PIN
    5028A10E

I am 5'9", my shoe size is an 11 US, and my glove size is a large.....I have never understood ANY ******** about the 9850 keyboard....it is smaller than iTurd.....but I've never had any problems with it....seriously.....I once tried a Droid X2 and gave it to my daughter TWO DAYS later, and then went and got my 9850 back out of the drawer.....and never tried anything again
    Thanked by:
    PatrickMJS (01-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfgang View Post
    I am 5'9", my shoe size is an 11 US, and my glove size is a large.....I have never understood ANY ******** about the 9850 keyboard....it is smaller than iTurd.....but I've never had any problems with it....seriously.....I once tried a Droid X2 and gave it to my daughter TWO DAYS later, and then went and got my 9850 back out of the drawer.....and never tried anything again
    Couldn't agree more. I love love LOVE typing on the 9860 touchscreen. Both landscape and portrait mode work well for typing and I'm a big guy over 230 lbs with big hands so if I can do it, it's fair to assume most others can too.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by konner920 View Post
    I've used iOS, Windows Phone and Android in my time of using smartphones. I've never owned a blackberry. I've been considering other options such as a blackberry, or the Nokia N8 or N9. I'm bored of windows phone, android and iOS. I want something new, and I've been looking at a unlocked torch 9860 on amazon, they run new for about 270, not a bad price so it's one of my options.

I read a while back the touch screen keyboard for the torch 9860 was horrid, or was that the 9850?

I absolutely cannot stand physical keyboards, hence why I'm wanting the 9860. So I had some questions

1. Hows the battery life?
    2. Hows the performance?
    3. Is there/does the spotify app work properly and is there a Kik messenger? these apps are **** poor on Windows phone.
    As nice as the 9860 device is, there are some quirks that bug the **** out of me, which may or may not be a factor for you. I figure you can decide for yourself after hearing all the positives and negatives.

1.) Memory leak: The battery pull ritual is, unfortunately, still around. There are apps to automate the phone reboot process, but there's a bug with its application permissions, so you're forced to do a physical battery pull. After SOOOO many OS leaks, they still haven't fixed the problem. My g/f's Bold 9900 did not have any memory leak problems at all.

2.) Audio Output bug: Again, this has been rearing its ugly head after so many OS leaks. Essentially, when you are playing music using the headphone output, the audio will sound weird/tinny/lack of depth if you unplug (unplugging the cable will automatically pause the song) and plug back in the cable and resume. The only thing that I found to fix this is if you fully stop the track and press play again.

3.) Battery life: Mediocre. I can get a full day's charge if I'm not heavily using the phone. What drain's the batter the most is using the camera to take photos or videos. I've had the same battery after 18 months and if I take too many photos, especially with the flash on, my battery will die out quickly. With it being winter now, it certainly doesn't help.

4.) Browser: It's ok. Webpage renders are very accurate to a desktop browser. A big gripe is that it can't refresh pages quick enough when you are scrolling around. You get the dreaded checker-board pattern a lot with the desktop version of a website. Mobile sites are not a problem, but somehow, you can't zoom in on those mobile sites. I'm not sure if that's the limiting factor of the browser or if like that in general. There's a weird bug with the browser if you are scrolling straight up and down-you can't scroll left and right without lifting your finger off the display. Same "locking" bug happens if you just scroll right and left (you can't scroll up and down). Another quirk I have with the browser is losing the auto text wrap feature when you double tap to zoom into a page. Somehow, if you scroll a certain way, the text wrap disappears and you're forced to zoom out and zoom in again for the automated text wrap.

5.) Touch screen: Overall, it's good and responsive. I've found when it gets cold (like being outside in -10 degree weather), the screen isn't as responsive. I found the touch screen to be a bit flaky when using the browser. It accepts your taps if the links are big. Once it gets below a certain size, the touch screen will accept your taps inaccurately. I've found myself constantly going back to a previous page because it kept clicking the wrong link. Sometimes when I'm scrolling in an email or message, text gets highlighted automatically, when I didn't even request for it. Annoying bug...

6.) Keyboard: There is a learning curve in getting use to the touch-screen keyboard. If you're typing at a steady pace, you should be fine. Even if you mistype a word, the autocorrect is pretty good. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard is the layout. The letters are all uniform and not staggered. Personally, I find typing on a staggered keyboard to be more accurate and comfortable than a uniformed keyboard. Android and iOS have staggered keyboards and so is the physical keyboard of other BB devices. Why did RIM choose to do that is beyond me.

7.) Overall as a device: It's definitely an improvement over their Storm products and generally, I'm content for now using the 9860. But I'm afraid after a certain point, these annoyances will overcome me and I will be more than happy to switch over to something else. One last thing that bugs me, is the random pauses/lags and then it pops up the spinning clock. Even after a fresh reboot, I can get that pause/lag when I'm just scrolling around the menus.

Some of these bugs are well documented so it's not just me. I'm surprised that not more users informed you of these bugs. Perhaps, it might not bother you as much as it bothers me. Over a course of a day, I'm always encountering two, three or all of these bugs during the day. I couldn't recommend you to purchase this device since there will no longer be any future support. At least with iOS, Android, or Windows, you will have software updates in the future.