Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    33030BDB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Official Verizon Blackbery Torch v7.1.0.580 OS update

Update for Verizon Blackbery Torch v7.1.0.580

Updating currently.
    Last edited by Bonesn; 08-07-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Title missing the Version
    CrackBerry Addict

As posted elsewhere, some good, some bad. Worked fine on one unit and fouled up email accounts something fierce on the other.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    33030BDB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I completed the update and did not lose any data. I of course had to sign back into my blackberry account, but no problems to report so far. Usually if people have problems after updating it is caused by the data within the backup.

I have all my information backed up in different places that way if the backup becomes corrupt in my backup, I can sync my contacts and other information back to my device without the loss of any data.

Most people also, never plug their device into a computer with the Blackberry desktop software and actually backup their phone and just do an OTA update. Even though this is a conveinent way to update your device, people should still do a backup somewhere with something.
    CrackBerry Addict

All true, but remember that DM does a backup as the first step in the upgrade process and then reloads your data from that backup once the new OS is installed.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    33030BDB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I never trust automatic backups. look at iphone users. when they were updating to iOS 5.0 a lot of users lost all their data because of the automatic backup. But then again, BB DM is a lot more stable then itunes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    3303483B

I use the blackberry protect app on my phone. Never had issues with it.
    Has anyone notice anything new.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Going through right now with this update...

White screen and Error 602...it won't reset no matter what I do.
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GB & 64GB
    CrackBerry User

Took about two hours to update. So far so good. Only two differences noticed so far Alarm window looks a bit different. Also noticed Application Resource Monitor came on while I still had Crack berry running in the backgrounds and suggested me to kill it automatically to save battery. Please post what have you guys noticed as updates.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 Verizon Wireless.
    Khoolguy
    Carrier Verizon Wireless
    Verizon BB 9850 Corp. User
    CrackBerry User

Has anyone seen a significant decrease in free memory with this update?
    Happily using a Torch 9850 and a Playbook
    CrackBerry User

An icon just showed up on my home screen today. It was for updating version 7.1.0 Bundle 1737. My currrent version is Bundle 457. I've never had an icon show up like that so I decided to check here.

First off, I'm not real tech savvy and am going through a nightmare right now with my business and IRS financial review. Like another person said earlier, I don't need another problem to deal with right now. I've never updated OS, even when I had a Storm. Is this something I really need to do? If so, can someone refer me to a good post on how to do this the safest way?
    Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

I have definitely seen a SIGNIFICANT decrease in memory since the upgrade, but ive seldom seen it go below 100.I would have become sluggish with any other O/S but so far it hasn't. i think i will do a complete wipe over the weekend to see if that changes anything

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    xxxxxx

I've had an increase in memory and bridging seems to be a lot better as far as the browser goes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
    Going through right now with this update...

White screen and Error 602...it won't reset no matter what I do.

Well thanks to DM and Protect, I'm back in action. I needed to set all my apps back up but everything else is pretty much in place.

I'll never update via OTA ever again...

Playbook-16GB & 64GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Quote Originally Posted by storeytime View Post
    An icon just showed up on my home screen today. It was for updating version 7.1.0 Bundle 1737. My currrent version is Bundle 457. I've never had an icon show up like that so I decided to check here.

First off, I'm not real tech savvy and am going through a nightmare right now with my business and IRS financial review. Like another person said earlier, I don't need another problem to deal with right now. I've never updated OS, even when I had a Storm. Is this something I really need to do? If so, can someone refer me to a good post on how to do this the safest way?
    Thanks

Save yourself headaches and don't update via OTA. If you do want to update use bb device manager on a pc.

Truth be told, I don't think there is anything added worth the shizz I went through today....

Playbook-16GB & 64GB
    Thanked by:
    storeytime (08-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Default BlackBerry Torch OS update 7.1 Bundle 1737

Battery life seems to improve even though my usage is same.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 Verizon Wireless.
    Last edited by khoolguy; 08-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Khoolguy
    Carrier Verizon Wireless
    CrackBerry User

I first tried doing the update via BB Desktop but it would cause a reboot of the Torch and I would get an error message that the device was booting or had a drained battery and to retry. When I did the retry the exact same thing happened... Tried it 3 times and then gave up and did the over the air update. It took about 4 hours, even using Wi-Fi (including the OTA backup) but everything seems to be working. Haven't really found anything new or different yet. Have seen some reports of better battery but I wasn't really having any issues with battery life before.
    Regards, Steve
    VZW BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry User

Upon a litte more usage and exploration of this new update, there are a couple of settings in the "options" application which I don't remember from before. There is an option to set a lower battery limit where the phone will go into "battery saving mode". Also, there is a setting which automatically shuts down battery draining apps that aren't being used.

The only problem with the updating process I have discovered so far is that all of the pictures/videos in my MMS messages are missing. The text portion of the messages show up but none of the images are there. I just restored the MMS messages from the backup I took before I started the update process and have the images back. This isn't a big deal for me but thought others might want to know.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 08-10-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Regards, Steve
    VZW BlackBerry Z10
    Thanked by:
    khoolguy (08-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts

I tried updating OTA but then got message that install was invalid, so I went with the desktop software. This of course took about 45 minutes, but had no problems. So far I see the Battery saving mode and the different look on the alarm clock app, but not much else.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I lost messenger. And looking at the reviews on app world, I am not the only one. I hate this phone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Battery life

it is because they have added battery management tool. It is under options. Yes. It is a nice feature.
    Thanked by:
    khoolguy (08-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Messenger (BBM) solution. Navigate to www.blackberry.com/messenger or to http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...ry.do?code=bbm
    from your phone device and download it. It will fix the issue. Very simple. But your BBM contacts will probably be gone
    Last edited by dkhomikh; 08-10-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: more details
    Thanked by:
    cadboy1 (08-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Default Torch 9850 7.1 1737 Changes

This is what I noticed so far.

1. Application Resource Monitor under Options > Device (New)
    2. Battery Saving Mode under Options > Device (New)
    3. Parental Control under Options > Security (wont work if on corporate)
    4. Third Party Applications under Options (It used to be blank now it has 3 options for RIM to track your activity)
    5. Alarm Clock has a new look on the bottom but no change to functionality

BTW I just noticed Media Server aka DLNA that I am not sure if its new or it was there all along ☺ but that is one awesome feature.

Called VZ Wireless who called RIM and no one know of any list of changes ☺
    Khoolguy
    Carrier Verizon Wireless
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khoolguy View Post
    This is what I noticed so far.

1. Application Resource Monitor under Options > Device (New)
    2. Battery Saving Mode under Options > Device (New)
    3. Parental Control under Options > Security (wont work if on corporate)
    4. Third Party Applications under Options (It used to be blank now it has 3 options for RIM to track your activity)
    5. Alarm Clock has a new look on the bottom but no change to functionality

BTW I just noticed Media Server aka DLNA that I am not sure if its new or it was there all along ☺ but that is one awesome feature.

Called VZ Wireless who called RIM and no one know of any list of changes ☺
    Hardly seems worth updating the device for any of that. Even a Verizon tech person told me today its no worth risk messing up your BB over. If people decide to do it she said DO NOT do the over the air update. Do it on you BDM.
    CrackBerry User

All,

For what it is worth, I updated OTA two nights ago and did not have issues. Also, I noticed a drop in memory: about 40 MB. But I think the update was around that size, so I am not sure if the drop is normal. Is the update supposed to write over the old system, or add to it?

So far, I have not had any issues with this update.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Some other things I've noticed if they were not mentioned before:

Network Extender symbol now shows when within range of one. Ita a small house looking thing with waves similar to wifi symbol on top of it.

Battery life for me has more than doubled after sorting my update debacle. This for me was significant and worth the headache of my botched update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast