02-07-13 11:45 PM
- Hey there.
So... I'll try to explain everything and hope anyone here will be able to help me out.
Here's whats happening:
I got my torch 9860 about a month ago.
First thing I did when I received it was an OS update, once it was all set I got a 15 days BIS data plan (just to try it out, see if there wasn't anything wrong, etc). After a few mins I got a message saying it should be working within the next 4 hours. Did a battery pull and it was already working, the BB maps app icon appeared and I was able to set up my e-mail account, use bbm, bb protect, etc. So far so good, it workeked perfectly for the 15 days.
Now the weird stuff starts.
So after it expired, I waited about a week or so to try to renew it since I wasn't really using it.
2 days ago I did the same procedure, but instead of the 15 days BIS data plan, I got the 30 days one.
After a few mins I got the message, but the e-mail settings wasn't working at all, it kept giving me errors while updating and stuff. I waited until next morning, tryed to register in the wireless network but got no response. Did a battery pull but it still wouldn't work.
So I decided to call "Claro" and ask for support, some woman answered and said it wasn't working like it should, that she would make some adjustments and I should do a battery pull in about 30 mins.
30 mins later, did a battery pull and it seemed like nothing changed, except now when I tryed to register in the wireless network I got the message saying my handheld has been registered in the wireles network and stuff. But still, nothing would work. The e-mail still failed at updating or whatever.
Since now it would register in the wireless network I thought maybe I was doing something horribly wrong.(even though it seemed easy to get going in the first time)
So I reinstalled the whole OS, like I did when I first got the phone. Turned it on, registered it in the wireless network, got the OK message and did a battery pull. Still nothing...
That even wiped out my old e-mail settings, so now I get the BES login page instead of the update error when I try to set up an e-mail(just like when I first got the phone and had no active BIS).
The maps app icon is gone, the bbm won't connect, the blackberry protect gives me an error saying my service plan does not support this app. (so obviously the BIS is not working at all)
when I go to http://claro.blackberry.com and try to login, the website asks for my pin and IMEI(again). But when I type in my IMEI and PIN it gives me an error saying "the provided information could not be verified".
By the way, I already had the website thing all set up, it began to ask for my PIN and IMEI once I reinstalled the OS, not sure if it is directly related or the guys at Claro did something during the many times I called them.
Also, during my 15 days of working BIS, I accidentally deleted the Social Feeds app, along with other mistaked I just decided to reinstall the OS once again, but I had no trouble setting the BIS back up.
So yeah. Its a huge text and probably badly written, sorry for that.
So, just to resume it a little.
>BIS won't work
>Carrier says service is fine and should be working
>Able to register in the wireless network, get OK message but the service status says BIS is not connected.
>Tryed hundred of Battery Pulls under many circumstances
>Completely reinstalled OS
>The coverage thing says EDGE. (It used to be H+ with the little bb icon on the side)
>E-Mail setup won't work
>Internet won't work
>BBM won't work
>Phone still works
I read alot of threads regarding all kind of BIS issues and tryed all kinds of useless stuff, so I'm probably forgetting to list something.
I truly believe the dudes at Claro don't know what they're doing, but I decided to try to solve it by myself before calling them again. Any help would be appreciated.01-31-13 09:44 AM
- That didn't happen at all. The best stuff used to show up when I had no data plan. Once my 15 days data plan kicked in the email setup went from BES to the BIS setup.
I called the blackberry support and they said it's got to be something wrong with the carrier.
I'm on the phone with them right now, gonna get them to solve this thing.01-31-13 10:50 AM
- I too, have tried everything, from umpteen battery pulls, SIM pulls. I even tried buying a new phone (now that was a stupid waste of money). My last-ditch attempt to get my BB working this morning at the Digicel store with a new SIM failed miserably. I know how you feel. And, I am sorry to say, after having researched this issue online a lot over the past few weeks, I think there is something that Claro and Digicel have to do at their end, but they don't have the technical know-how to understand what the root of this problem is.
I am sending my new BB back for a refund, as it doesn't seem as if this problem is solvable, at least not in Latin America... If you do get a fix for yours, please could you post back here?
Thanks.01-31-13 01:00 PM
- Yeah, apparently their stupidity is overwhelming. They do not understand how the blackberry works, therefore are having issues not only on fixing it but on acknowledging that there is something wrong at all. They keep claiming that their system is working fine and it's got to be something with my phone. They asked me to take my phone to one of their stores to "set up the internet".
They just don't get it that the data plan is not active at all. My service status says its not connected to BIS, but that doesn't seem to be good enough. And I'm not taking my phone all across rio de janeiro so they can take a look at it and say "oh you were right there is nothing to be done here, we're terribly sorry that we made you waste your day coming all the way here".
I'll just keep calling them and requesting for innumerous attemps of whatever they can do to fix it.
I'll post a solution once I get it running, I'm not giving up on my phone because these people are to lazy to do their job.01-31-13 04:52 PM
- Hi there. After weeks of frustration, I finally found out the real cause of my registration BIS problem. After endless Internet chats with Digicel, store visits etc, I tried setting up mail from my BB by visiting www.Blackberry.com/MailIntegration from my phone where I received the message 'Your carrier is not supported at this time'. I checked on the Digicel Panama website and, sure enough, the most up to date BB they sell is the Torch 9800. So, my approximately two and a half year old piece of tech (9860) was simply too new for Digicel!
I verified this by inserting my SIM into my old BB bold 9700, where the registration with BIS occurred without a hitch.
So, I bought a new SIM with a Blackberry data plan from a different carrier here -Movistar - after checking that they actually sold the 9860 in Panama (meaning they would provide coverage).
And - at long last - it set up on the new carrier without a hitch!
So you might have to do this as well....
Good Luck02-04-13 12:57 PM
- Yeah, I tryed to get them to do this, but they say they cannot cancel the data plan(???) so I will have to wait until the end of the month for the plan to expire...
I'll just go for a full refund and switch carriers.
Anyways, the issue is not device based, so I suppose the mods can close this thread.02-07-13 11:45 PM
- By dg1988 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700Replies: 5Last Post: 04-05-11, 08:26 PM
- By tangler10 in forum BlackBerry Curve 8350iReplies: 5Last Post: 03-25-09, 10:57 PM
- By hydencutch in forum BlackBerry Pearl 8100Replies: 4Last Post: 11-20-08, 01:02 PM
- By CLE in forum BlackBerry 8830 WEReplies: 1Last Post: 12-01-07, 08:22 AM
- By socoduce in forum BlackBerry Pearl 8100Replies: 8Last Post: 10-04-07, 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD