Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default back button possible solution/cause. Need feedback.

So I've been experiencing the back button and menu button problems where they seem to cut out all of a sudden. it's been happening a lot lately, and the symptom originally appeared out of the blue without any other changes occuring immediately prior... that I could think of

i've been hitting the send and menu buttons simultaneously to get the buttons functional again. sometimes that works for a while, sometimes it works just long enough to get me out of the phone app.

Well, yesterday I noticed that my convenience key set to do nothing per Vlingo was unresponsive. At the same time, the back button and menu buttons were also unresponsive. further testing reveals that all three buttons cut out when the symptom occurs.

So I've been playing with it more and more. I wondered if perhaps Vlingo was the problem. I think the free offering from RIM corresponds with when the symptom became widespread.

So first, let us know if you do or do not have Vlingo installed if you're experiencing the symptom.

Also let us know if you do have Vlingo installed and never experience the symptom.

and finally, if you do experience the symptom and you do have Vlingo installed, try this and report back:

open the vlingo app. hit the menu button, go to options. Change voice key behavior to "only on Vlingo home."

Then use your phone normally.

Let us know if that alleviates the symptom. I've been running this way about an hour or so and the symptom has not presented itself so far.

any other information on the symptom will be helpful, so post it here. I'm talking ways to reliably duplicate the symptom or ways to alleviate the symptom. Please don't just complain about the symptom.

Okay. that's all I got for now. I hope this gets us somewhere.
    Thanked by:
    Black Chevalier (02-20-2012) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    67,170 Global Posts

I don't have it installed and don't have those symptoms. Sometimes I think when I don't get a response I think it's because my thumb/finger is on the edge of the button.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,178 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

I have Vlingo. No problems so far.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,503 Global Posts

I don't have it either, only issue I see with back button is about a second lag when web browsing. Other than that is always functional as far as I can tell.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

i have the torch 9860 with bell mobility

1. back button started being unresponsive after about 2 months. started a bit here and there and the got worse and worse

eventually sent it back for warranty

2. while getting fixed thru warranty. i bought a rogers torch and unlocked it for my network.

3. now after about 1.5 months, it is acting up. the unresponsive back and menu button are happening just like the other phone did.

4. i have both phones mirrored as far as apps and o.s.

5. but the refurbed bell phone is fine. so in my opinion it is hardware not software

6. frustrated as , becauase other than this flaw, i absolutely love the torch 9860.

hope this info helps or at least confirms other peoples problems with their buttons
    CrackBerry Newbie

I started having problems with the menu and back buttons on my 9860 after a couple of months, but initially they were just unresponsive once in a while and would work after a couple of extra clicks.

This got progressively worse over time until they'd stop responding for 10 minutes (and then longer) for no apparent reason and then just as suddenly start again. This continued to get worse until at the weekend they packed up altogether and no amount of battery pulls or sweet talking would convince them to do anything.

Until this morning, when after another battery pull we're on speaking terms again. I've never installed Vlingo and only have a few apps downloaded so I don't think it can be resource related. The convenience key (set to start the camera) has always worked fine.

It's going back to Vodafone for a warranty repair, and I'm kinda hoping the buttons will fail again before then because I don't want them to be working perfectly and have Vodafone return it with a 'no fault found'.

And I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. They've both started playing up within 15 minutes of pulling the battery, although they've not packed up completely yet. Sure it's only a matter of time...

Neil.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Bobaloo, same problems here. I haven't added anything to my phone in months and it just started doing this for no reason at all. I do not run Vlingo and I keep the convenience key for the camera. The only app that I deleted was Wikitude, and the only app I really use on a daily basis is Accuweather. I did find some tests helpful on diagnosing the menu and back button problem. I posted them here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-another-back-
    button-problem-695058/

Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    No more PIN

Folks don't waste your time...this is a known hardware issue and the phone needs to be repaired. Don't waste time tinkering with software etc.
    This is the reason I left BB for Galaxy nexus
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Ponyboy, I just posted on your thread. That hardware test is interesting. I got the buttons to cut out during the test, and the convenience key cut out when the esc and menu buttons cut out.

and for what it's worth, the esc and menu buttons cut out after hitting the convenience key in this sequence: half, half, full, esc... then nothing from esc, menu, or convenience.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Folks don't waste your time...this is a known hardware issue and the phone needs to be repaired. Don't waste time tinkering with software etc.
    This is the reason I left BB for Galaxy nexus
    Thanks, but no thanks.

This is highly likely software, given the intermittency of the symptom and the reliable remedy by pressing the send and esc keys at the same time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Okay. So it doesn't look like it's related to Vlingo in and of itself.

The frequency of the symptom has been greatly reduced since yesterday when I changed the Vlingo setting to "only on Vlingo home"; but it still has presented itself, so I can't prove that that's any useful data.

Keep on posting anything you think might be helpful in figuring out why this occurs.

Thanks, everyone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bobaloo View Post
    Ponyboy, I just posted on your thread. That hardware test is interesting. I got the buttons to cut out during the test, and the convenience key cut out when the esc and menu buttons cut out.

and for what it's worth, the esc and menu buttons cut out after hitting the convenience key in this sequence: half, half, full, esc... then nothing from esc, menu, or convenience.
    I hear you, it's totally intermittent on my phone. When I did the test, some buttons didn't work, but when I performed it a second time, everything worked fine. Since I posted this morning, phone is still working fine. Don't understand it at all!!
    Good luck with your phone!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

well, it's been a few days. The problem is still there. Now, it may be all in my head, but I swear it is much less frequent after changing the setting in Vlingo. Which doesn't help us much as far as discovery goes.

Still trying hard to remember when this symptom started occuring relative to any app updates or installations.

Anyone think it's worth typing up all the apps you have installed? This thread doesn't have a lot of followers right now, but I think it's worth some effort to figure out if we can find the source of this problem.

So here are mine:

weatherbug
    lister
    app world
    social feeds
    bible from lifechurch.tv
    bbm music
    pandora * (using more lately)
    brick breaker
    word mole
    3d rollercoaster
    riverLite
    zombie attack * (Recent updates)
    swap it
    fightin' words
    fruits & ninja free
    bubble bash 2
    santa dash
    toss it! free
    shopper's paradise (Playing more recently)
    BB protect
    BB bridge * (Got playbook just before Christmas)
    poynt
    Facebook
    twitter
    google maps
    wikitude
    e-office flashlight
    coinToss for storm
    kindle
    ebay
    myVerizon
    shazam * (Free BB app, installed slightly before symptom came up)
    BB traffic
    Vlingo * (reasons stated in above posts)
    photo Editor ultimate * (newer to my collection, though I've never really used it)
    Nobex Radio * (Hardly ever use it, but it's a newer app for me)

I did not include the standard native bb apps, of course. I put stars next to apps I think could be related to the symptom along with a reason for why there is a star.

Hope that helps. Hope others contribute ideas as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    No more PIN

well, it's been a few days. The problem is still there. Now, it may be all in my head, but I swear it is much less frequent after changing the setting in Vlingo. Which doesn't help us much as far as discovery goes.

Still trying hard to remember when this symptom started occuring relative to any app updates or installations.

Anyone think it's worth typing up all the apps you have installed? This thread doesn't have a lot of followers right now, but I think it's worth some effort to figure out if we can find the source of this problem.

So here are mine:

weatherbug
    lister
    app world
    social feeds
    bible from lifechurch.tv
    bbm music
    pandora * (using more lately)
    brick breaker
    word mole
    3d rollercoaster
    riverLite
    zombie attack * (Recent updates)
    swap it
    fightin' words
    fruits & ninja free
    bubble bash 2
    santa dash
    toss it! free
    shopper's paradise (Playing more recently)
    BB protect
    BB bridge * (Got playbook just before Christmas)
    poynt
    Facebook
    twitter
    google maps
    wikitude
    e-office flashlight
    coinToss for storm
    kindle
    ebay
    myVerizon
    shazam * (Free BB app, installed slightly before symptom came up)
    BB traffic
    Vlingo * (reasons stated in above posts)
    photo Editor ultimate * (newer to my collection, though I've never really used it)
    Nobex Radio * (Hardly ever use it, but it's a newer app for me)

I did not include the standard native bb apps, of course. I put stars next to apps I think could be related to the symptom along with a reason for why there is a star.

Hope that helps. Hope others contribute ideas as well.
    Like I said it's a hardware issue...do a forum search or google search, who know maybe one day RIM might admit to it...good luck with that.
    I also had the same issue...sent it away for repair, got it back and about to sell it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I've been having the same issue, mostly with the back button not working. I thought it was software related as it is pretty random. I don't have Vlingo installed either.

Right now I'm just putting up with it as its not consistent enough. Once it is i'll get the phone exchanged.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,982 Global Posts
    PIN
    HollisterCO511@aol.com hit me up!

What could be causing this hardware wise?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't have vlingo but I still encounter this issue.

I have to either battery pull or hit the send key and then the back button wil work as it will close the phone app.

Btw, its been happenig with every os that has been released. I've installed both leaked and official os' and still the same issues. I'm currently using os 7.1.0.205.....
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I did have Vlingo for awhile but deleted it and did have that problem. Nothing I did would fix it and it was so frustrating. I eventually had to call Verizon to get a replacement and this one is fine so far.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,697 Global Posts

Default Don't get a replacement

Hey guys
    I have personally got mine repaired, which took 2 weeks. Here's my take on this.
    Many 9850/9860 devices have had this issue at some point, i will go ahead and say about 70% of the devices, and it will only get worse to the point that all four buttons stop functioning so you can't pick up calls either.
    IF you get a replacement, like vodafone and verizon does, well, chances are your new phone will have the same issue, and when it happens to be out of your warranty period, well, then you're out of luck.
    After I got mine repaired, everything has been awesome, no such issues again.
    As for why it happens around the time of vlingo installation, I have no idea, apart from the fact that when vlingo was offered free, it was around 3 months (or 2 months) into using the phone depending on when you got your phone. That is probably around the time it takes for the hardware to wear down.
    If your back and home button are sticky/mushy, chances are your device is faulty.
    After the repair, all four buttons click very well.
    Cheers
    MHC1
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM!

I think RIM should develop touch back button in the upcoming os update if this issue is hardware wise, I've been using my torch here witbout those problems mentions above, but I think it's going to be problem in the future because the ui seems to make the user of 9860 pressing the back button too much
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Telus BB9860

Had my phone for 4mths now, this back button issue just started out of the blue. been getting to be more weird as it seems the harder i press, then it starts to work!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

So I've been experiencing the back button and menu button problems where they seem to cut out all of a sudden. it's been happening a lot lately, and the symptom originally appeared out of the blue without any other changes occuring immediately prior... that I could think of

i've been hitting the send and menu buttons simultaneously to get the buttons functional again. sometimes that works for a while, sometimes it works just long enough to get me out of the phone app.

Well, yesterday I noticed that my convenience key set to do nothing per Vlingo was unresponsive. At the same time, the back button and menu buttons were also unresponsive. further testing reveals that all three buttons cut out when the symptom occurs.

So I've been playing with it more and more. I wondered if perhaps Vlingo was the problem. I think the free offering from RIM corresponds with when the symptom became widespread.

So first, let us know if you do or do not have Vlingo installed if you're experiencing the symptom.

Also let us know if you do have Vlingo installed and never experience the symptom.

and finally, if you do experience the symptom and you do have Vlingo installed, try this and report back:

open the vlingo app. hit the menu button, go to options. Change voice key behavior to "only on Vlingo home."

Let us know if that alleviates the symptom. I've been running this way about an hour or so and the symptom has not presented itself so far.

any other information on the symptom will be helpful, so post it here. I'm talking ways to reliably duplicate the symptom or ways to alleviate the symptom. Please don't just complain about the symptom.

You need to get your 9860 repaired. I had the same issues with menu key and escape key not working. Took it in to rogers plus and They shipped it out for repairs now everything is working again even though it took 3 weeks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    520 Global Posts

I just got my Torch 9860 a week or so ago and I'm more then happy with it thus far. This thread is a bit discouraging though to say the least. I was on the fence actually on whether or not I was actually going to be getting another Blackberry or switching to Android. Things fell into place though and I settled on the Torch 9860 after some thought and stress (long story).

So far I've got no issues with my phone's back/menu keys or anything else. Both keys feel solid when pressed. I don't download and install tons of apps and I'm not the type of person who is using my phone 24/7. Needless to say I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, and if issues with the keys do end up arising with my phone its going to be cementing my decision to say goodbye to Blackberry after many years.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi bobaloo,
    I bought 2x 9860's the day they were released. Mine had minimal apps installed (don't recall which ones I had, but definitely did not have vlingo). Approximately month 2 or 3 I had all the symtoms you listed (very annoying). Rogers went through standard reload protocol which did not fix the issue. They sent a refurbished unit. I was convinced it was some app I installed, so I have chose to install zero apps for 3 months. It works flawlessly now. I have braved installed PB bridge and a couple others and so far so good! As for the second phone (employees device), it did the same thing. He did use vlingo. Did the Rogers swap again and told him not to install apps and voila! Good to go! I have a sneaky suspicion the BB7 project was a slap together last minute thing just to shut up the investors and negative media. That being said, still a great device! Have used almost all berry's since '98 and even a couple droids in there. I even tried SII LTE, but prefer this 9860!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had the same problem with my 9860 its not software related its hardware and needed repair mine was a promo ph right from RIM so I called them up and the made arrangements to get the ph fixed its a problem that is popping up with this ph

Jim
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast