Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Answering Calls on Torch 9850 Issue

I received my new Torch 9850 and on the first day I had a problem. The phone rang but I could not pick up the call. The trackpad and all hard buttons would not allow me to pick up or terminate the call. The phone continued to ring until the call went to voicemail. The Torch was full functional after the phone went to voicemail. It happened again twice on Day 5. I believe I was reading an email at the time each of these calls came in. I called Verizon support and they are sending a new phone as it is a hardware issue. The first tech support person indicated that I was the first to report this issue to Verizon. Any others who have had this problem or have suggestions?
    Last edited by startsev; 09-13-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: additional information
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,777 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by startsev View Post
    I received my new Torch 9850 and on the first day I had a problem. The phone rang but I could not pick up the call. The trackpad and all hard buttons were frozen. The phone continued to ring until the call went to voicemail. The Torch was full functional after the phone went to voicemail. It happened again on Day 5. I called Verizon support and they are sending a new phone as it is a hardware issue. The first tech support person indicated that I was the first to report this issue to Verizon. Any others who have had this problem of have suggestions?
    There are some others who have reported this issue. Read thru the threads and they are there. I wouldn't tend to believe what the verizon techs say about how many have complained about certain issues. They always say this is the first they've heard of it no matter what it is.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

I had this today for the first time, phone rang but didn't display the phone app and I couldn't switch to it. Eventually I just did a battery pull. Weird.
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matthew 16:24

SpeedNotes - A fast and convenient note taking application

VitalSigns - Customizable Style for your BlackBerry 10 Device!

Visit Gray Matter Apps on the web: http://www.graymatterapps.com/
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    333bc686

Quote Originally Posted by startsev View Post
    I received my new Torch 9850 and on the first day I had a problem. The phone rang but I could not pick up the call. The trackpad and all hard buttons would not allow me to pick up or terminate the call. The phone continued to ring until the call went to voicemail. The Torch was full functional after the phone went to voicemail. It happened again twice on Day 5. I believe I was reading an email at the time each of these calls came in. I called Verizon support and they are sending a new phone as it is a hardware issue. The first tech support person indicated that I was the first to report this issue to Verizon. Any others who have had this problem or have suggestions?
    My end call button wouldn't work at all. I had the phone replaced at VZ. Got a new one all buttons working on it.

Swap it out, no cost to you with VZ b.c it is also with the first 14 days .
    CrackBerry Newbie

Three times in the past two days I had to do a battery pull to resolve the inability to answer calls. Does anyone know if the leaked OS fixes this ? Or when the real update comes out ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hfink56 View Post
    Three times in the past two days I had to do a battery pull to resolve the inability to answer calls. Does anyone know if the leaked OS fixes this ? Or when the real update comes out ?
    Same problem 2x yesterday. Happened while I was answering a text message. I just installed the .362 upgrade. Let's see what happens...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,777 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by russnash View Post
    I had this today for the first time, phone rang but didn't display the phone app and I couldn't switch to it. Eventually I just did a battery pull. Weird.
    Maybe a preventive reboot would be a good idea. I used to reboot my 9650 using the 3 key method rather than actually pulling the battery, each morning and I think it really helped keep it smooth thru out the day. Just a thought. Obviously on the torch with no physical kb....? Battery pull? Or just get a reboot app. Better yet. A reboot a day keeps the gremlins at bay.
    CrackBerry User

I too just had the same problem, where the phone rang, but I was not able to answer it. None of the hard buttons worked. I then shut down, via the power button icon and attempted to call my voicemail. Usually the keypad shows up so you can enter your PW, but I could not get the keypad to show. Only a white entry field opened up, with no means of typing in numbers. Needless to say, it was extremely frustrating. A battery pull seemed to solve the problem, but does anyone have an idea what the problem might be. To those that the issue has happened to, what did you do? Would you recommend returning it and trying for a new one? I am well within my 14 days. Sadly, I am having nightmares of my experience way back when, and the early adopter penalty I had with my Storm 1. Those were dark days for me and I don't want to go through that again.

TO RIM: Why do you constantly try to force me to another brand of phone? I love your brand and am a believer, but it is getting harder and harder to keep towing the line!
    CrackBerry User

I've had this happen 5 times in the last week since getting my Torch. My best guess is that the Phone app is crashing, causing it to not allow answer or hangup. I can usually tell when it is happening when the caller ID doesn't show up. This then means I can't answer the call, ignore it, silence the ringer, etc. Only way to fix this is to pull the battery that I've found.

Using Verizon v7.0.0.254. Would love to know if version .362 fixes this.

Thanks,
    Jim

p.s. Other than this one glitch, I LOVE this phone. Came from a Storm 2, and this is so much easier to use.
    CrackBerry User

More info on crashes (that I can remember)

- The first 2 happened while the phone was charging from my laptop
    - The last one happened when not charging, but the phone's screen had gone off (sleep mode?)
    - I can't remember the details of the other 2.

Jim
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts

Man, you guys are not making my day. I'm about ready to move up to the 9850 from the 9550, and this is the last thing I needed to hear.

ThemesInMotion.com: Customize your BB and Android phone with BerryWeather Icon Sets, BatteryEx Sets and Android Themes
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Maybe a preventive reboot would be a good idea. I used to reboot my 9650 using the 3 key method rather than actually pulling the battery, each morning and I think it really helped keep it smooth thru out the day. Just a thought. Obviously on the torch with no physical kb....? Battery pull? Or just get a reboot app. Better yet. A reboot a day keeps the gremlins at bay.

I should add that I had this issues when I was running the stock Verizon OS 7.0.0.254. I've since upgraded to 7.0.0.353 and haven't seen this problem once.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matthew 16:24

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I should add that I had this issues when I was running the stock Verizon OS 7.0.0.254. I've since upgraded to 7.0.0.353 and haven't seen this problem once.
    For all those moving to .353, I wonder if for most of them, a re-load of .254 would have solved their issues?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    For all those moving to .353, I wonder if for most of them, a re-load of .254 would have solved their issues?

Not sure, I just did a normal upgrade, didn't bother wiping first. 353 was worth it for me so I could get rid of the minimize bar at the top of the keyboard, I was *all* the time hitting it while typing. It was also worth it to clean out all the extra languages and free up a ton of app space they were wasting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

CrackBerry Abuser

I have had this issue 4-5 times.
    Is this widespread?

Is there a fix other than a wipe and firmware hybrid?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

I'm on .353 since within the first hour of getting the phone. I did not have a Phone call on the original sw. I have had quite a few calls on .353 with zero issues. There is a Verizon specific sw upgrade on the blackberry site...might be worth a try. Seems like most if not all of you are on original sw which was know to have various issues.

CrackBerry Abuser

can anyone pose a link to 353 for verizon 9850?
    Someone said also there was an update on BB site.

I cannot find anything
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
    can anyone pose a link to 353 for verizon 9850?
    Someone said also there was an update on BB site.

I cannot find anything
    Look through my posts for the .353 link. It will be on the first page of a thread I posted on by I believe username "jhimmel". The .353 link on the 9850/60 homepage did not work for me. Good luck.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I too have had the same issues as the rest, but not as frequent. One time I just had the phone open, the other I was listening to music. Verizon tech as indicated said "first time I have heard of this." I downloaded a reset/battery pull app, but that is no good while the screen is frozen? I have an Otterbox case and its a real pain in the A$% to do a battery pull uncovering the unit!

I did a wipe twice and re-installed .254, but it still happened again since then. Its unflattering to RIM when you have to tell your caller, "No I didn't ignore your call, its an issue with my BRAND new BB Torch!" I sure hope the official .353 resolves this issue?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have not upgraded (yet) to the new leaked .353 OS version, but I did upgrade to the official "upgrade/fix" with the same version number provided by Verizon and have had zero functional issues with either of the two Torch 9850 phones in our house.

I did have to send my Torch back due to a flaw in the camera (looked like every picture I took had a little fly on it), but the new one was received yesterday, I again upgraded it to the Verizon "upgrade" and again, zero issues.

After using it for a week or so, I'm really loving this phone. I'm still trying to get used to not having SurePress, but that should pass quickly.
    CrackBerry User

Can someone please enlighten me as to the location of the Verizon update? I can't seem to locate it.... Or a link would be awesome!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lumasmom View Post
    Can someone please enlighten me as to the location of the Verizon update? I can't seem to locate it.... Or a link would be awesome!!
    Start with BlackBerry® Software Updates This will take you to the download site for the current official VZW version for your Blackberry.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 09-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm on my second 9850 Torch through Verizon. Had to return the first one because of bad antennae. I have had the issue of not being able to answer a call on both phones. I too hope that an official upgrade will take care of this.
    CrackBerry User

Me too. I had the identical problem. Did a battery pull and all has been good so far.
    Of course I am still in mt first week of ownership.
    Just a side note and nothing to do with this problem but when I went into the VZW store to buy the Torch, the first one they sold me was DOA. Their in store tech worked for an hour to try to get it to work. They called verizon tech support and after another 15 minutes declared the phone dead. I still bought one and like it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    PIN
    3301f9aa

I am having the same issues as the rest of you (cannot answer calls). SO frustrating. I want to LOVE this phone, but this "little" glitch is just pushing my limits of tolerance.

Maybe I should try .353 os and see if that fixes it.. I hope VZW/RIM comes out with an official upgrade that fixes this very soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast