Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Advice please on 9850/9860 vs 9900

I've had a 9700 for quite a while now and the time has come to upgrade.

Due to the Z10 not convincing me a 100% yet I believe my best shot would be to get a nice reliable os7 BB. I have always been a bit afraid of full touch screens but I really do like the 9850/60's look.

Funny enough I never had problems with my 9700. No screen freezes, battery pulls or any other 'common' problem you read about on the forums. But then the only thing I find about the 9850/60 here are problems. Kinda similar on the 9900 forum page, but then again that's what forums are for.

So my question(s) would be: - Surely not the majority of 9850/60 users are having the same annoying little issues?
    - For those who had the luxury of handling both 9850/60 and 9900, which would be your personal recommendation?

Thanks
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Advice please on 9850/9860 vs 9900

Why not go with the 9810? Best of both worlds if you still want a keyboard and full screen touch.
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-06-2013) 
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,764 Global Posts

I liked my 9900 better than my 9860. Just personal preference though.

On a side note, I'd sell my 9860 for a buck fifty if you want it
    BB4Life
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-06-2013) 
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgenn3 View Post
    Why not go with the 9810? Best of both worlds if you still want a keyboard and full screen touch.
    I wasn't really a fan of my 9800 or my 9810. I jumped on the 9800 for os6 (that sounds pretty funny at this point). I liked the housing of the 9810 better, and the hspa+ was a bonus, but the slider wasn't really doing it for me. The keyboard is too recessed for my liking, and at the end of the day I just used it as a touchscreen. So basically I had an uber-thick touchscreen with a short screen, haha
    BB4Life
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-06-2013) 
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,764 Global Posts

Sorry to triple post, but I wanted to throw in, I absolutely loved my 9700. My second favorite BB after the 9900
    BB4Life
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-06-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    On a side note, I'd sell my 9860 for a buck fifty if you want it
    he can probably get a new one for $99 or less w/ 2 yr. contract...

i've got 9850 & love it,,, looks good, great hardware, great specs too,,, haven't tried 9900 & feel no need to...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    he can probably get a new one for $99 or less w/ 2 yr. contract...

i've got 9850 & love it,,, looks good, great hardware, great specs too,,, haven't tried 9900 & feel no need to...
    You're missing out buddy. It's phenomenal
    BB4Life
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-07-2013) 
    westiewanderer likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Cool

Hi there

I tend to switch every other month from 9860/9900. Both are great smart phones, for speed and practicality the 9900 is no1, for screen size pictures and images go for the 9860

Just can't do without both to keep me happy, BTW I would put the 9860 up against an iphone4s, too many Apple trolls on the planet!

Thanks
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    You're missing out buddy. It's phenomenal
    maybe,,, not enough screen real estate for me tho...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

i see no big difference between those phones except keybord....
    so every your decision will be the best..
    good luck
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Ive had both phones..for browsing the internet the 9850 takes the cake the bigger screen makes it great..it lacks nfc though which for most is not a deal breaker..spec wise they are similar..i switched to a 9930 for the full keyboard something about it just couldnt keep me away.

Sent from my CrackBerry 9930
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Thanks for all the input, really appreciated.

Especially the comment for the 9810, hadn't even noticed that device, go figure :s ... Guess I was looking too much at the Z10 the last weeks/months ....

So basically the only real difference is the screen size, camera and NFC (which on a personal base is no need) and thus it comes down on personal preference.

You've all made it harder for me to make a decision, haha.

Thanks again !!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

In my opinion, the 9810 is a bit flimsy and not so well built. I've rocked this 9860 for a while now. Loving it and never get tired
    Go ahead, still, why not the Z10?

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    In my opinion, the 9810 is a bit flimsy and not so well built. I've rocked this 9860 for a while now. Loving it and never get tired
    Go ahead, still, why not the Z10?

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Several small reasons but the absolutely main one is there turns out to be problems, or not even possible, to sync your outlook. I am just a simple bb-user who has a bb for practicality in my small business. Don't have the greatest knowledge about IT in general nor could I be bothered to link/forward different email accounts and what so ever to make things eventually work.

I just want my phone to be easy, functional and have my (2-)daily sync with outlook for tasks, memo, calendar, etc.... Something my 9700 is great for and until the '10'-devices can't fix this issue I am not interested in Z/Q-10. You see, in my case is going to an os7 device already an upgrade
    CrackBerry User

I've been using the 9860 for the past 6 months. Its a great device. It probably took me a few weeks to get used to the touchscreen commands but after that its been a dream to use. It really comes into its own when playing videos etc with the screen real estate.

I sometimes use my girls 9900 which is a great device and is probably the natural successor to the 9700. However when you pick the 9900 up after a 9860 you wonder how you coped with the small screen of a qwerty device.

If i was you id try and have a play with both and see what feels best. They are two great phones.

All the best!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-08-2013) 
    JORENO likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had a 9700, got me a 9860. I really love the 9860. Will never go back to a q-keyboard.
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Once you get that landscape feel (horizontal), you will stay that way 95% of the time. I don't think you can do that yet on Z10. That's why I'm waiting.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

I have owned both. The 9930, and now the 9850 (the CDMA variants). I believe that the 9850 suits me better. The UI on the 9850/9860 is changed up a tiny tiny bit to optimize BB7 for full touchscreen use and it just feels better than the 9930/9900 in that sense. Pretty much the same performance as they have the same core internals. The camera on the 9850 is MUCH better than the one on the 9930. I guess autofocus really does it. The landscape keyboard is near perfect. I find that the portrait keyboard is tiny bit narrow but I can still type just fine. No matter which orientation you choose to use the phone (you can use the OS in landscape mode and not just portrait which is a huge plus over iOS or Android), it will feel very comfortable in your hands. If you do go with the 9860, get a screen protector. It will scratch.

In my opinion though, why would anybody ever want to buy a BB7 device in this time with BB10 fresh out of the gate? If it works for you, then go for it. But I would HIGHLY recommend you take a good hard look at the Z10 or the Q10 since BB7 just won't even come close competing with BB10. IMO, nothing on the market can fully compete with BB10. BB10 is the platform of the future.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

I've had my 9850 for over a year now, and besides an annoying trackpad issue, I've had no issues with it. The touch screen drove me absolutely crazy at first (coming from the click screen on both Storm's), but once I adjusted to the sensitivity and adjusted the settings to what worked best for me, I love it. Very good display for video, much improved browsing, and I've found it to be a very sturdy device. Besides a screen protector, I keep mine uncovered. A very underrated device as far as I'm concerned...
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-09-2013) 
    vincentkong likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    I have owned both. The 9930, and now the 9850 (the CDMA variants). I believe that the 9850 suits me better. The UI on the 9850/9860 is changed up a tiny tiny bit to optimize BB7 for full touchscreen use and it just feels better than the 9930/9900 in that sense. Pretty much the same performance as they have the same core internals. The camera on the 9850 is MUCH better than the one on the 9930. I guess autofocus really does it. The landscape keyboard is near perfect. I find that the portrait keyboard is tiny bit narrow but I can still type just fine. No matter which orientation you choose to use the phone (you can use the OS in landscape mode and not just portrait which is a huge plus over iOS or Android), it will feel very comfortable in your hands. If you do go with the 9860, get a screen protector. It will scratch.

In my opinion though, why would anybody ever want to buy a BB7 device in this time with BB10 fresh out of the gate? If it works for you, then go for it. But I would HIGHLY recommend you take a good hard look at the Z10 or the Q10 since BB7 just won't even come close competing with BB10. IMO, nothing on the market can fully compete with BB10. BB10 is the platform of the future.
    As for me, I've spent way too much time learning this OS to be switching now!...;-) although it does look VERY impressive, especially after they get the few bugs out. Hopefully before the March release..
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by leehardballer12 View Post
    As for me, I've spent way too much time learning this OS to be switching now!...;-) although it does look VERY impressive, especially after they get the few bugs out. Hopefully before the March release..
    I've spent a lot of time with BBOS too. I've also tried iOS and Android and I went back to BlackBerry. It's like I want change, but I haven't liked what I've seen. I think BB10 will be that change I really want! Haha. The 9850 is a great phone...but honestly...I can't wait for BB10 . When is your contract up or when are you looking to upgrade?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    I've spent a lot of time with BBOS too. I've also tried iOS and Android and I went back to BlackBerry. It's like I want change, but I haven't liked what I've seen. I think BB10 will be that change I really want! Haha. The 9850 is a great phone...but honestly...I can't wait for BB10 . When is your contract up or when are you looking to upgrade?
    My upgrade isn't until August, so any bugs should be worked out by then.....unless I "steal" an upgrade from another line in May and pass off my 9850... ;-) I do have a question about the lack of BIS on the new devices and how that affects the data usage. One of the things I most like is the DataSmart feature that helps keep data usage down.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by leehardballer12 View Post
    My upgrade isn't until August, so any bugs should be worked out by then.....unless I "steal" an upgrade from another line in May and pass off my 9850... ;-) I do have a question about the lack of BIS on the new devices and how that affects the data usage. One of the things I most like is the DataSmart feature that helps keep data usage down.
    Mine is August too! It sucks lol. But my birthday is tomorrow...let's see what kind of money or gift cards I can get . The data compression hasn't been a concern for me at all since I still have unlimited on Verizon's network. I wonder when they will be doing away with that grandfathered in unlimited plan. As far as I know, BB10 devices will not have any data compression. I use a LOT of data even with the compression (knocking on the door of 1GB as we speak, my cycle ends tomorrow) so I would definitely be screwed if I have to go down to 2GB without any compression. 1GB with a BlackBerry would probably be 5GB on any other smartphone without compression.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Happy birthday tomorrow! Yeah, that would suck to lose the unlimited data. My understanding is that you will have to pay full price for the phone if you want to keep your unlimited data plan. I lost mine when I switched to the Family Share Plan where all the data is pooled. It works out since some use a lot more than others. As for me, I rarely use more than .5 GB and I do take advantage of the multimedia features. But I make sure to be on wifi as much as possible. Media works much better on wifi than through the network. I've read that the data compression uses about half the data...
  25. gkl
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

For me, the only negative has been the media player memory leak. I use music on my device a lot and memory will drop 100MB in two days. If I wasn't checking, I would probably not notice it judging by the performance of the device. Chalk it up to my OCD to feel like i have to check where it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Bondte (02-10-2013) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast