Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default About to throw my 9860 out the window!

So my phone will on occasion bring up the timer icon but lately it has been freezing or having the timer icon every few seconds, including during calls which means the call continues but I can't do anything. Sometimes it goes away quickly other times in can be on for a few mins. This morning alone it's happen 20+ times.

What can I do to sort it out, I've taken the compression off picures already. Is it a memory thing?

-----

7.0 bundle 2406 (v7.0.0.585, platform 5.0.0.734)

-----
    Last edited by dg2009; 04-03-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Try a clean wipe and reload it with the latest official 7.1 OS. Back up all your apps first.
    If all else fail, tell me when you want to throw it out the window. I'll be there to catch it lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

You do not say... Have you tried a hard reset? Remove your battery and put it back, that should do.
    It is a memory thing.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Updating your OS to 7.1 is a good idea as well. But you will also need to pull your battery every now and again
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

have you considered the damage that will be done to the window or even the pavement where it will land?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand Binary, those that don't, and those that don't expect this signature to be in base 3.
    bbmtna likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

yea, clean out the memory, delete apps/themes you don't use, and battery pull...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's amazing how much a "battery pull" fixes!

I wish BB would incorporate a "pull" feature in the BB10 phones without having to do a physical pull or install an app.
    Luanne likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dg2009 View Post
    So my phone will on occasion bring up the timer icon but lately it has been freezing or having the timer icon every few seconds, including during calls which means the call continues but I can't do anything. Sometimes it goes away quickly other times in can be on for a few mins. This morning alone it's happen 20+ times.

What can I do to sort it out, I've taken the compression off picures already. Is it a memory thing?

-----

-----
    Wow......I'd first say to try to stay as updated as you can with os releases from your carrier. Also install restart me, it does the restart without a battery pull. You can search the forum for how to load unoffical os releases as well, however the lastest leak for 9860 has been made offical from Telenor Norway. I think a battery pull should set you straight for now, but an os update is recommended as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Install DeReset. Set it to reboot the phone once a day.

Install Memory Booster and set to auto.

Remove unused apps.

Do a battery pull. Leave battery out for a few minutes.

Start phone. See if this all helps.

If not start uninstalling apps until you have at least 100 megs free.

If all fails from above, wipe the phone and install 7.1. Either way if you are on anything older than 7.1 upgrade. Leave out apps and languages you do not need when installing the OS.

I just did the upgrade (no wipe) and so far so good.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Last edited by trsbbs; 04-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm Detector View Post
    have you considered the damage that will be done to the window or even the pavement where it will land?

This is the best comment so far..
    Don't worry about that kind of damage.. I'll catch it before it reach the window..
    Two blackberry 9860, sell one and trade it for sgs2..
    Lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts
    PIN
    HollisterCO511@aol.com hit me up!

I've occasionally had this issue. But other than that, great device!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'll catch it before it hits the ground XD

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using CrackBerry app!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

If your phone is "hour glassing" constantly then it is a memory issue. Whenever you see the hour glass icon during regular operation, it basically means that the phone is struggling to free up enough memory to complete whatever task it is trying to complete.

Everyone has given good advice here already so I do not have much to add. Try wiping your device and installing the latest official OS. Make sure you don't have apps running in the background. Go into your application settings and see which apps are hogging your memory.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Might think about shrinking the OS (BBH Tool or BSAK) too to add extra space. Remember - these are not I-phones or Androids, we have highly limited application space and due to Java addressing, the device begins to slow when that memory pool begins to fill. I find that at 220-240 megs the device runs best, when it leaks memory to about 140-160 megs all heck breaks loose.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalis26 View Post
    This is the best comment so far..

Don't worry about that kind of damage.. I'll catch it before it reach the window..

Two blackberry 9860, sell one and trade it for sgs2..

Lol

that's my running bb joke: whenever someone drops their blackberry in front of me i make a deal about the damage it might have done to the floor.

the other day a lady dropped her 9810 on the bus and i had half the people on board chuckling

There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand Binary, those that don't, and those that don't expect this signature to be in base 3.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dg2009 View Post

-----

-----
    Dump Blackberry and go with the Samsung Galaxy Note. I did and couldn't be happier. The Note is what a true professional's phone should be.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by decoy72 View Post
    Dump Blackberry and go with the Samsung Galaxy Note. I did and couldn't be happier. The Note is what a true professional's phone should be.

This is someone who should just go far far away. He likes looking like a dork holding that slab of a phone to his head.

Our IT Dept took one look at that SamSlab laughed and moved on.

Just like them..you should move on....

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post
    This is someone who should just go far far away. He likes looking like a dork holding that slab of a phone to his head.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Tim - no offense but Samsung is very popular. Slabs are very popular and no analyst or tech bloggers are currently wondering if Samsung has shot themselves in the foot too many times to stop bleeding to death. How bout you try a response like, "I'm not a fan of Android or Samsung. That device in particular seems like an awfully large slab. Telling the OP to just move to a different platform is not particularly responsive to the OP or helpful in trouble shooting his issues..."

Just saying. Loaded words like dork and phrases like you should move on, just lead to a degradation in conversation and causes board flight. Finally - those who are so militantly pro-blackberry often turn off prospective BB users and have the opposite of the intended effect.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry

remember back in the day when the smaller your phone the cooler you where

CrackBerry Newbie

Default I am right with you!

I am right with you, mine does the same thing. You don't know how many times I've told my mom and boyfriend that I was going to throw the darn thing out the window.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    Tim - no offense but Samsung is very popular. Slabs are very popular and no analyst or tech bloggers are currently wondering if Samsung has shot themselves in the foot too many times to stop bleeding to death. How bout you try a response like, "I'm not a fan of Android or Samsung. That device in particular seems like an awfully large slab. Telling the OP to just move to a different platform is not particularly responsive to the OP or helpful in trouble shooting his issues..."

Just saying. Loaded words like dork and phrases like you should move on, just lead to a degradation in conversation and causes board flight. Finally - those who are so militantly pro-blackberry often turn off prospective BB users and have the opposite of the intended effect.

What ya expect on a Blackberry forum.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

Default About to throw my 9860 out the window!

The newer the OS, The better the OS. Update it, and start enjoying your phone.

Start Here:
    http://crackberry.com/official-black...telenor-norway

Someone says "Use an Official OS", ignore them.

Someone says "Delete Apps and Shrink your OS to make room", this will not hurt but its not a cure for a phone that needs a fresh new OS.

Someone says "Buy a different Brand", ignore them.

1) Do a complete backup using BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

2) Install the .342 OS on your computer.

3) Install BBSAK on your computer and "Wipe" and "Factory Reset" your phone.

4) Restart your computer.

5) Delete both vendor.xml files on your computer. The locations are in my signature.

6) Right Click the loader.exe file and click "Run as Administrator". Be patient, and the computer should start the update process.

7) After the update is done and the phone restarts you can begin setting up the phone.

8) At some point, go to Options/Device/Storage and hit the BlackBerry Button. From there you can run the "Repair Memory" routine twice. Once on your Built-In Memory and Once on your Memory Card.

9) Dont use BlackBerry Desktop manager to restore all your settings, that will screvv up your phone. Just restore the things that BlackBerry Protect doesnt backup. Mail, Messages, Alarms, Appointments, etc.

10) Reinstall your apps manually. Dont try to use the restore function for your apps.

11) Enable the Memory Cleaner in the options, Restart the phone a few times, and run the Memory Cleaner.

You should be good to go.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe <~ (Right Click) RUN AS ADMINASTRATOR
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

I've never been able to find a second vendor.xml file in any of the OS7.1 leaks, or any old leaks on older phones after an install.

Also, why advise someone not to shrink an OS?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Yep. Then they got too small. One extreme to the other.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yep loved the nokia I had back in the days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast