Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pckidz
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9860 problems with battery life

I have BB 9860, purchased in UK, sim free. I use it for already 3 weeks.

I usually remove the device from the charger at 9:00am. My battery drains in a period from 2:00pm (worst case) to 5:00pm (best case). I had to purchase simple Nokia phone to change the sim card if I don't have an opportunity to recharge my BB. I have no idea how to improve the battery life.

Before 9860 I used 9780, 9700, 9520, 8900 and never had such a horrible battery life. I also can't upgrade to a leak OS as I'm a Mac user.

Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

go to the bb 9900 forums.. and read up on battery life. make sure your apps are all closed when your not using them. we're having the same issues (cus we have the same battery) over at 9900s land.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Have you updated to the new OS .440 ? I had the worse batt life with the previous OS was only getting 7-8 hours, now with the .440 I can get 14 hours of batt life with medium to heavy use...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

My big thing with my 9860 was when I did a device switch from my 9780 I'm sure there are some things that got corrupted. This is how I fixed my 9860 and how now I get 1% an hour discharge rates at idle, no higher than 3% when bbming and emails.

1.) do a backup and use bbsak to wipe the device until you get an error.

2.) load up .440

3.) restore your contacts an other items using blackberry protect only. Not from backup.

4.) manually download all your apps again. do not use the new beta eBay app its a battery hog.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Battery drain on OS 7 is really frustating, maybe with better performance, device with OS 7 drain alot of battery power, I only have 1 simple solution to extend your battery life, try to switch your network option from 3G to 2G only.. use 3G only when you want to browsing, or downloading files..

Hope this helps!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had exact same issue with my torch 9860. Battery life sucked had to charge it twice a day. OS 7.0.0.440 change everything! I now get there the day with 40% charge remaining. I charge every night in bedside mode, so this is plenty of battery life for me now.
    CrackBerry User

how to update OS 7.0.0.440 ?? mine showing 7.0.0.1465, i try check for update it said already up to date

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leokrz View Post
    how to update OS 7.0.0.440 ?? mine showing 7.0.0.1465, i try check for update it said already up to date
    please search, there are a million threads on how to load a new OS.

basically you download the OS file, install it on your computer, delete the vendor file and install to the phone using apploader or desktop manager.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thank you guys. Seems like everyone has the same issue with battery life.

Do you mean leaked OS by .440.? The problem is that Im a Mac user and cant upgrade to a leak OS. I'm wondering why don't we see any official OS update while battery life is serious issue for all OS7 devices users.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

My battery life seems to fluctuate. It depends on what I've been doin on the phone. Some days it will get great usage and standby times. Other times I get over 3% drainage per hour while not even touching the phone. I think a lot also may have to do with network connection strength.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

I noticed a difference by dropping down my screen brightness to the lowest it would go, I believe it was 10. Along with the new OS, big difference.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use phone all day long and think battery life on the torch is better than s1 or s2. I have screen to 10 and also use wifi manger from app world. If you are in an area of poor coverage your phone will just waste battery trying to constantly connect.
    CrackBerry Newbie

How do i get 0s 7.0.0.440 ??????
    CrackBerry Newbie

The 9860 has larger screen, higher resolution (read higher consumption) and comes with a thinner battery - it has a 1230 mAHR battery (while its older cousin with tiny screen - the 9780 Bold - has 1470 mAHR). What was RIM thinking?

I wont pay top dollars to buy a hi-res multimedia device, drop the brightness to 10 (from default 80) and scringe by running programs selectively, so I can compensate manufacturer's callousness of putting a thin battery under the hood. No wonder Blackberry's are getting replaced by Samsungs and iPhones.
    Last edited by pckidz; 12-08-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: details correction
    suvongse likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Give up on the battery. These idiots took their best phone and made it a piece of crap by using this battery. This phone leaves me stranded every day if I don't charge it at 2pm. I get 4.5hrs life doing nothing in the holster. I can't count the times I've thrown it on the desk in utter discust. Why are we all discussing turning this off and that off. This is the worst stupid phone in the market. The end is near folks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer001 View Post
    I have BB 9860, purchased in UK, sim free. I use it for already 3 weeks.

I usually remove the device from the charger at 9:00am. My battery drains in a period from 2:00pm (worst case) to 5:00pm (best case). I had to purchase simple Nokia phone to change the sim card if I don't have an opportunity to recharge my BB. I have no idea how to improve the battery life.

Before 9860 I used 9780, 9700, 9520, 8900 and never had such a horrible battery life. I also can't upgrade to a leak OS as I'm a Mac user.

Any ideas?
    You MAY have a Faulty Battery. An initial batch of the JM-1 batteries (9860/50) went out as faulty...

Search the forums for the Threads.

Buy a replacement battery and see if it works - if not, then you may have a faulty device. (an initial batch of 9860/50 went out as faulty too - search the forums for the thread)
    Z10 till I die...

searzyOUT!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pckidz View Post
    The 9860 has larger screen, higher resolution (read higher consumption) and comes with a thinner battery - it has a 1230 mAHR battery (while its older cousin with tiny screen - the 9780 Bold - has 1470 mAHR). What was RIM thinking?

I wont pay top dollars to buy a hi-res multimedia device, drop the brightness to 10 (from default 80) and scringe by running programs selectively, so I can compensate manufacturer's callousness of putting a thin battery under the hood. No wonder Blackberry's are getting replaced by Samsungs and iPhones.
    If you think an iPhone or an Android device is going to last longer, you will be sorely disappointed.

I've got first hand experience with a Galaxy SII and a Galaxy Nexus and if you don't make sure apps are closed, widgets are under control and brightness isn't through the roof you can expect a couple hours of use and that is it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Turn 3G off if you are not browsing or downloading, you will make it to the end of the day. That works for me.

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2B631BE4

i am using 9860 since last 8 months and invariably my battery lasts for full day. I normally plug for charge when I go to bed at 11pm to 5am. just update OS regularly, don't keep unnecessary applications running, vibrations minimum, screen light at 10% and some tips from CB, i am sure you would also get full day battery.
    Prithvi (pin:2B631BE4)
    Z30/10.2.1.2947/2274)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by prithvi64 View Post
    i am using 9860 since last 8 months and invariably my battery lasts for full day. I normally plug for charge when I go to bed at 11pm to 5am. just update OS regularly, don't keep unnecessary applications running, vibrations minimum, screen light at 10% and some tips from CB, i am sure you would also get full day battery.
    .........Word!
    CrackBerry User

- all works fine - then I installed iSpeech Translator.
    - Battery was worse !!!
    - iSpeech update - all was fine
    - iSpeech update - Battery was terrible
    - delete ISpeech - all is really fine - 1-2 % drainage per hour
    kocjoa

Default Re: 9860 problems with battery life

mine had 10% drainage per hour i dont know what causes this, maybe the social feeds of anything?
    CrackBerry User

Now, what os with battery life good ?

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Joltcola1234 View Post
    If you think an iPhone or an Android device is going to last longer, you will be sorely disappointed.

I've got first hand experience with a Galaxy SII and a Galaxy Nexus and if you don't make sure apps are closed, widgets are under control and brightness isn't through the roof you can expect a couple hours of use and that is it.
    Yap, i can confirm the above statement. My father and my sister use SII, their battery only last 4hours max with moderate use, mostly chat using whatsapp. My sister also has a 9780 and that's her main device because the battery can last a day with heavy use of bbm.

I also use an iphone 4s for my second phone and my torch can last longer with heavy use, bought it brand new in an authorised apple store.

I always carry an extra battery and an individual battery chager for my 9860 so i'm never out of juice

Z10 + 64GB PB