Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9860 Media Card problems, so frustrating...!

I've a 9860, running 7.1 bundle 1646 (v .523)

I haven't gone to the latest OS version, as quite a few users seemed to have reported problems.

Anyway: I've used a SanDisk 32GB card in the device for well over a year now with few issues.

I've got lots of Music, Pictures and Videos stored.

Whenever I do a battery pull (either because of an app upgrade or otherwise) using QuickPull, the phone reboots then reports that the media card either has errors on it, or is not inserted correctly.

Having trawled lots of similar issues on these forums and elsewhere I'm absolutely convinced it's not a defective card. In fact I sort of proved it tonight by putting my card into my wife's blackberry and doing several battery-pulls etc: not a flicker.

Put it back into my 9860 and hey : media card not inserted correctly.....

I ran chkdsk on the card, via a card reader on my PC, no errors reported although there were 600-odd hidden files listed. I'm pretty handy with IT (ex-IT Manager) but I cannot see what these files are or where they are.

I then re-formatted the card in the 9860, copied only a few music albums and videos across and tried it again....same problems, media card not inserted correctly, and media card contains errors, do you want to repair them????

Seemed to repair OK (didn't save or lose any clusters) but I just know this will happen again and again.

I'm tempted to say it's a physical problem with the card slot on my phone. However I can't think of a way to test it, beyond the hardware tool that confirms, writes, reads and then deletes a test file on the phone. That worked well: ie test passes OK.

So this leaves me with the nagging conclusion that it's software-related.

Is it a bug in the OS (as this didn't happen whilst I was on version 7.0) ?
    Is it a bug in one of my apps? I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem using Quickpull, so I've deleted that...

I honestly think its a 7.1 bug....!!!!

So I'm not asking for solutions, nor advice (I think I've tried everything). I'm simply asking some mega-users out there, who understand RIM OS more than I do, Could this be an OS bug???

Sorry for the rambling post....

Craig

Global Posts
    35,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

The only OS bug I'm aware of results in the card not being seen, and another reboot or partial removal and reinsertion resolves it. I'd say the reader, since the car itself seems fine using the PC or another phone.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

I recently had a similar issue, My memory card would show errors every time my phone booted up, so I tested it in 3 other devices and noticed I could access files but formatting would error out. I replaced the card and all is good now. Then, a few weeks later the error started to show again. Turns out there was a problem with the internal memory of my device. I opted for the manufacturers warranty and got a free replacement device. Problem solved.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks Thachoc1, that interesting. Is there anyway to test the internal memory (or do you simply just run "repair") on the 9860 ???
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by craighew View Post
    Thanks Thachoc1, that interesting. Is there anyway to test the internal memory (or do you simply just run "repair") on the 9860 ???
    I've only seen the repair option. I'm sure there's some secret menu to run the test, but you may have to call tech support on that one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thachoc1 View Post
    I've only seen the repair option. I'm sure there's some secret menu to run the test, but you may have to call tech support on that one.
    Actually the same bug happens on my bold 9900... I noticed this started happening on OS 7.1 ... I have a 32gb lexar class 10 microsd... And it does the same thing if I restart my phone (or at times randomly) when the media card shows "not inserted" ... Card is fine as it works on other phones perfectly.. I tried reformatting it as well
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I have a 9850 and don't experience this problem. I have a 32gb microSD. I didn't format or do anything other than remove from my Bold and insert into the 9850 once I purchased it. I do notice though, that it takes up to 4 minutes for the phone to load/queue/look at all media after a reboot. By that I mean I can't go directly to pics to see what I have. I need to wait for it to recognize them all. I do have about 2000 photos though...
    CrackBerry Genius

My 9860 has the old class 2, 32GB SanDisk microSD card which previously was in my 9800.

My card has about 3 GB of free space, mostly taken up with 60 hd videos average 2-3 minutes each, 2,400 songs & 1800 photos. When I go to access the pictures, I don't have any appreciable or even noticeable lag in getting to the pictures as described by ScoobyDoo's master.

Never used quickpull but like most of us BB users, I occasionally do use the old battery pull to restart my device when something funky happens.

I've had my 9860 since May and haven't had this error once.

My 9860 is running .569, not .523 like the OP. I was thinking of upgrading to the new OS upgrade which AT&T released last week but haven't done so yet. I usually like to wait till its been out for a couple of weeks, just in case.

Hate to suggest an OS upgrade to the OP, but it kinda sounds like the only thing you haven't tried.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 09-26-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: To add info about card contents.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: 9860 Media Card problems, so frustrating...!

Hi There,
    im having the similar issue ...im using a lexar 32gb micro sd class 10 in my 9860 with the latest OS and yes i use quick pull but (as far as i know) its never caused a problem for me but after reading a few threads if i get my phone back on ill delete it and try the old method of rebooting..its only recently that my phone crashed and while using it. it then went into a rebooting mode where it would load 3/4 of the way and then restart again repeatedly. If it did manage to get past that stage the phone would go back to default settings and have a message on screen saying "cannot not access internal memory errors detected" then it would give an option to "repair now" and also a checkbox if i wanted to save lost clusters. i was able after several attempts to get it to reformat using bb desktop manager. (which worked well for a time) but then the message would come up ever so often upon reboot stating "internal memory errors detected " would i like to repair it?. clicking repair would work sometimes but other times it would just send the phone back into the rebooting mode all over again ....which is where im at tonight as it crashed again.... im convinced that it is an internal memory card problem which is weird becuz i store all my stuff on my 32gb i put nothing on the 2.5gb onboard, so then why is it giving me this headache? i barely download apps because honestly the phone cant handle them well. i use the phone to watch my vids and listen to music. all i would like to know is... (1)can this problem be repaired? (2)if yes then how? because reformatting clearly isnt a permanent solution...i love my 9860 i think its a really great phone and would like to keep it but argh!!!! this is very frustrating(-.-) Help please anyone!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok guys i decided to try something which i did at a previous time and i got the phone on... which was to remove the sim card for some reason the phone would load up without the sim card being in it...so now that its on the "internal memory error" is back and im currently formatting it to see how that goes again ...wish me luck will post my findings
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

It's interesting to review these various replies, it would seem that if it were indeed an OS bug, more people would see symptoms. For what its worth, I bought a new 32GB SanDisk Ultra and thus far (well the last 4 weeks or so) I've had no problems. My PC can still see the content of my old 32GB card, and even copy and delete files so it's still alive. I will post back if any relapse....!
    CrackBerry User

I have a 9850 and have been having this same issue since the update to 7.1.0.580. really bad after a reboot but is there more often than not. Gets frustrating when trying to sent pics by text and have to hit the ok button quite a few times........
    CrackBerry Abuser

Same problems here on my 9860 + sandisk ultra 16gb

My working 'remedy':
    copy all content to PC
    Format the microsd
    Paste back all folders n file, except strange files liketemp files n unknown extension files

And 1 more thing,...during the past 4months i got 'sim not allowed' issue...had to pull the battery, unmount-remount the sim card to solve it

Could it be hardware issue since microsd slot and simcard slot located near eachother?
    CrackBerry Addict

So my cell phone has decided to hop on this internal memory card issue today as well!!!!

Not a happy camper on my 4th battery pull but no cigars. It states something about hooking up to a computer to try testing and repairing on that. I'm on the road now so can't.

Anyone have any luck on finding what causes this lovely new blackberry headache ??? And any fixes plz and thank you. I soooo hope my pics and videos can be found once I connect onto my computer.

Cheers
    CrackBerry Addict

Did like 15 battery pulls nothing! Took out and put back in my media card or shall i say SIM card cause i dont have any additional media cards and nothing!! I hooked up to computer usb and at least found my pics and videos and saved them. Then tried a running chkdisk on the computer. The progress bar went to like 99.9 % finished, then left cell connected for like 1/2 more but nothing would complete. So i unplugged my cell, did another battery pull and still at square one. "Built in Media storage not accessible due to detected errors." All contacts of mine and apps of mine are in cell phone still and working fine. Just no pics or videos all at 0.

Anyone...........Anyone!!! plz help!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by 007Storm View Post
    Did like 15 battery pulls nothing! Took out and put back in my media card or shall i say SIM card cause i dont have any additional media cards and nothing!! I hooked up to computer usb and at least found my pics and videos and saved them. Then tried a running chkdisk on the computer. The progress bar went to like 99.9 % finished, then left cell connected for like 1/2 more but nothing would complete. So i unplugged my cell, did another battery pull and still at square one. "Built in Media storage not accessible due to detected errors." All contacts of mine and apps of mine are in cell phone still and working fine. Just no pics or videos all at 0.

Anyone...........Anyone!!! plz help!
    Ya, at that point I was fed up. Called VZW and told em to send me another Torch. Ironically I did a wipe/reload of the OS and it appeared it was gonna be fine. No errors after a few reboots. But I had the new phone by then and decided I wasn't gonna take the chance. If you've got a good backup, you could try that. A fresh start never hurt anything. It's just time consuming.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Is it saying There's a problem with the built in media storage or the media card storage? Since updating my 9850's to 7.1.0.755 I'm getting a message occasionally about errors in the phones built in media storage, sometimes it will repair itself other times it fails and suggest connecting to a computer to run chkdsk! I haven't had time to really mess with it, but it cleared up when I turned most of the advanced os and led features off, like the battery pull feature...and deleted the rebooter cod file for it! It was glitchy anyway, and physical battery pulls are better anyway! The other thing I changed was disabling the beweather homescreen wallpaper...it could have been either that was causing the problems, haven't had the error message since changing those two apps! I'm thinking it was advanced OS, there was an update for it shortly before I began getting the error messages, and it has made my phone laggy since adding all the os/battery monitoring, and reboot features! When I have time I'm going to look through my 3rd party app backups and reload an old version before they built all that extra crap into it, see if that helps!

Edit - forgot to mention on my other 9850, application resource monitor popped up wanting to close bebuzz at the same time as the first time built in media error message, deleted it, haven't had a problem since...possibly a conflict with the LED altering apps is causing my problems

Edit 2 haha - I also have 16GB sandisk memory cards in both, save all media to the cards, nothing is saved to the built in media storage
    Last edited by mrtouchedme; 01-17-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

As posted, I tried for hours/days to resolve the media card problems with no joy (and in a previous life used to be an IT Manager so I don't usually give up easily).

In the end I simply couldn't track down the cause nor cure for the problem and just bought a new card.

Interestingly enough, I've since wiped and re-formatted the card (which I did for the BBy but same issues) and used it in a digital photoframe with absolutely NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. This leads me to conclude it perhaps wasn't the card per se but my 9860 not liking it any more.....
    CrackBerry User

I've got an ADATA 32 GB class 10 card in my 9860. I'm running 7.1.0.569.

Ever since I updated to 7.1, I've had an error where the SD card isn't always detected after a battery pull. To fix, I pull the card out, and put it back in. Works fine for me after that.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarandine View Post
    I've got an ADATA 32 GB class 10 card in my 9860. I'm running 7.1.0.569.

Ever since I updated to 7.1, I've had an error where the SD card isn't always detected after a battery pull. To fix, I pull the card out, and put it back in. Works fine for me after that.
    Yes but with mine I don't have a media card. Just what ever is internal memory. All I have is my white small SIM card. I tried pulling that out and restarting it but still same issue. I'm not a happy camper right now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Just to update, I decided to reinstall advanced OS and LED, see if the problem returned....it did, first reboot after install showed device built in media error message again, phone froze, battery pull resulted in it rebooting 2/3 of the way and switching to a blank white screen, no writing or error message on white screen...the device had been completely wiped, tried apploader, bbsak, bbhybrid, bb boss, jl commander, bb master control, and desktop manager to reload OS or read device, wouldn't connect to any of them...all attempts to reload os resulted in failed to connect to jvm, if the programs connected to the device at all, performing an action resulted in a failure error message in the program....anyway, sprint replaced it for free, new 9850 arrived today haha

Global Posts
    35,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Holy cow

Don't recall an app bricking a phone before. I'm curious if you'll have a problem connecting the new one too.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Nope, it connected fine, it was delivered with .267 on it, wiped and loaded .580 for now...haven't put advanced OS on it yet though, its running perfect

I've also never had a problem with an app bricking any of my blackberry's, maybe it was just coincidence, bad timing, who knows
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    PIN
    24C80862

I've had some problems with my 32GB card too... So I got myself a 16GB one.. Guess what.. The phone has no problem so far... No reboots, nothing...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Just an update on my situation. I ended up reformatting my build in media storage and everything fixed themselves back to normal. Obviously minus all my pictures. But had them all saved prior to my reformatting when I plugged in my cell to my computer and found them all manually.

Then figured ill give the new .825 Vodafone version a try. Been exactly 24 hrs since I installed it. My battery is so far the most noticeable plus. By this time of day I would have defiantly had it plugged in charging again. But honestly I have 75% battery still left. Very shocking actual. Furthermore everything else seems more Crisp and fluid. Highly recommend updating.

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast