CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9860 freezes on initializing sim card

Hi there, every time I switch of my BB with the software button in the home screen and switch it on again, it freezes with the screen saying "Initializing SIM Card" ("SIM Karte intialisieren"). I have to do an accu pull to get it working again. Sure, you don't have to use the soft switch-off very often, but if you do, it's a real nuisance.

I already took out the SIM card an cleaned contacts - but to no avail.

I'm on O2 Telefonica Germany, my 9860 is running on 7.0.0.585.

Anybody out there with a little help ?

thx
    M.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi,

If your SIM card has been with you for a while, you may want to check with your carrier if they can replace it, either for free or at a minimal cost. Reason for my suggestion is that sometimes these things have their life span as well, and may interfere with the loading process (i.e. your 9860 may have some difficulty reading it).

Another trick my carrier's CS rep shared with me at one point was to clean the contacts of your Battery. Surprisingly it does help. I'm no electronics engineer so I really can't explain why.

Lastly, you may also want to check with the store where you got your 9860. You may want to bring over the phone to them, probably check your SIM card with another 9860 (if they will allow it). If it works with another unit, then there may be something wrong with the unit, and maybe they can replace it.

I hope these options help. Pls. feel free to post further questions/clarifications, and of course, results of your efforts to troubleshoot, for the benefit of others.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thx for your post.

The card is only 9 mths old and I had it working without any glitches with an 9800/OS6 since March 2011. There were never any issues with freezing on initializing the card (in fact I've never seen such a message popping up on my 9800). But I've got the general impression that OS7 is causing lags and "little" hangups a lot more than OS6, so I think the new OS may be the real problem.

The 9860 is a brandnew one from Amazon - that will make it easier to get an replacement if I can't solve the problem.

But first I will try the thing with the battery contacts and report back.

Bye....
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

OK, let's report some news: I cleaned the battery contacts and surprise, surprise the soft switch off/on worked without the "initializing SIM card"-hangup.

But I think, the real culprit is the hands-free device in my car - a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. It uses the bluetooth rSAP-protocol to connect the SIM card of my BB to the cars telephone. And this one isn't very reliable. This afternoon, it produced an absolute chaos. "Connection with phone lost" - "Reconnecting phone" all over. I had to disconnect the BB and to delete the bluetooth connection with my car. Afterwards the BB didn't even connect to my carriers network and the issue with "Initializing SIM card" reappeared. At home, I did an accu pull and the BB worked fine.

Next week I will consult my car dealer and let him do a complete reset of my cars telephone. Hope this will solve the issue.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Default Issues with Volkswagen rSAP and 9860

Just googled VW/rSAP/Blackberry and found lots of posts which documented similar problems. One of them:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bluetoo...issues-241003/

experienced exactly the same than me (sure, this was in 2009, but my own car was build in this year). Perhaps this thread should renamed an moved.....
    Last edited by netscraper; 01-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

OK - actually its the handsfree from my Passat which is to blame. At login the BB switches to SAP mode and tries to transfer the complete call lists and contacts to the BT-handsfree. But obviously there's not enough storage available in the car phone so the transmission stops and the BT connection crashes. The BB logs in again and the play begins anew...and so on....

You can only stop this circle by disabling BT in the BB and performing an accu pull to initialize the SIM card again. Otherwise there's no connection to your network (only SOS calls).

There's no real solution for that. Volkswagen doesn't offer any updates or patches for the car phones hands free. I disabled data transfer in the BT profile of my BB, this solved the problem insofar as I can use the handsfree, but without access to the contacts (which naturally are not synchronized if data transfer is disabled).

Hope this helps someone...