Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By artwich
  • 1 Post By motekmobile
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9860 Audio issues: Ring tones & alerts work half the time!

Curve (x 2)>Bold 9700>Torch 9800>Torch 9860

So I upgraded to the Torch 9860 a couple days ago after much anticipation (due to AT&T lagging in the availability) and impressed until...

The device is not ringing half the time. My alarm & alert tones don't sound--half the time. Oh, and there's a weird issue with Pandora audio not working when plugged into the 3mm jack! I have to pull the battery repeatedly

After a trip to my local AT&T store, I found that others are having the exact same issues. I was told there will most likely be a software update to try and resolve this matter. When? Hopefully soon. I have not encountered this problem on any of my previous BB devices and I'm kind of bummed to be experiencing this on such a potentially great, much needed upgrade to the BB family.

If any of you are experiencing similar issues, please reply.

Still loyal BB user... for now
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,353 Global Posts

Have you updated the OS? I see that there is a sticky in this forum about the release of an AT&T OS. Or is that the one that shipped with the device?
    "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, 'No. No. No.'"
    R.I.P to my namesake, Amy Winehouse.

Mom: "Do you feel some kind of way reading BlackBerry forums on your iPad?"
    Thanked by:
    drice01 (11-14-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

I am having the same issue on 9850 Verizon using their most recent official OS update. I just did a full wipe and reloaded the OS. Hopefully this fixes it, but strange that 2 different carriers and both the 9850 and 9860 are going it.
    Twitter @johnnycool13
    9850 Torch 7.1.0.163 Verizon
    Thanked by:
    drice01 (11-14-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks AW. The device did ship with the most recent version of the OS. Apparently, there have been this same issue since it became available back in August on Verizon/Sprint... Ugghh. I'm not panickin' or nuthin yet
    CrackBerry User

Please help me! I have the same problem with my 9860!

I've had the .373 version and no audio problems with it, then i've made an upgrade to .440 and the problems came onto my device, so wipe and a new installation of .440 and the problems were still there, again a wipe and a new installation of .474 and the problems are still there!

Is there a way to solve it? Please post your opinions, suggestions and what I haveto/should/must do to fix the issue. I'm desperate, please help me! Thanks in advance!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    3318D20B

Quote Originally Posted by drice01 View Post

So I upgraded to the Torch 9860 a couple days ago after much anticipation (due to AT&T lagging in the availability) and impressed until...

The device is not ringing half the time. My alarm & alert tones don't sound--half the time. Oh, and there's a weird issue with Pandora audio not working when plugged into the 3mm jack! I have to pull the battery repeatedly

After a trip to my local AT&T store, I found that others are having the exact same issues. I was told there will most likely be a software update to try and resolve this matter. When? Hopefully soon. I have not encountered this problem on any of my previous BB devices and I'm kind of bummed to be experiencing this on such a potentially great, much needed upgrade to the BB family.

Yeah, my Pamdora seoesnt do the jack either!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by coldpatrix View Post

I've had the .373 version and no audio problems with it, then i've made an upgrade to .440 and the problems came onto my device, so wipe and a new installation of .440 and the problems were still there, again a wipe and a new installation of .474 and the problems are still there!

Is there a way to solve it? Please post your opinions, suggestions and what I haveto/should/must do to fix the issue. I'm desperate, please help me! Thanks in advance!
    I have instaled the latest AT&T .440 version, and have exactly the same problem con la 9860. I hope someone comes up with a solution........
    CrackBerry Genius

I'd say go back to the .373 OS. since you state you had no audio problem.
    CrackBerry User

The .540 seems working under this aspect... fingers crossed!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Ok, I think my audio issues are behind me. After a great conversation with a rep from one of my local AT&T stores, he suggested updating my OS from BB Desktop Software. Two days later... I have had not one need to pull the battery to fix my ringer/alert issues. The 3.5mm issue seems to be fixed also. Hallelujah!!!

This was the only significant problem I've ever encountered with BB and am glad to see it is resolved shortly after dealing with this new, awesome device. Updating your OS "over the air" is not as reliable as using desktop software. Hope it helps anyone else having the same issues.
    BTW, I'm considering the 32G Playbook. Any recommendations on holding out til bugs are resolved?
    CrackBerry User

The .540 seems working under this aspect... fingers crossed!
    Coldpatrix. How has the .540 been working these days. I also dowloaded and installed this version on my 9860, but after a day, the "non ringing" problems appeared again. Hope to hear from you, thanks
    CrackBerry User

The problems seems to be in 2 in 1 Flashlight application. Try to delete it...
    CrackBerry User

Ok, I'll give it a try. I downgraded yesterday to the .353 version, and so far the problem didn't appear. I'll switch back to the .544 version and see what happens. Thanks for your response.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

ive given up and gone back to 353. i spoke to o2 and they said try reloading software, but i told them that issue is all over internet they said they dont look at forum sites and know nothing about issue.
    CrackBerry User

I have confirmed that the flashlight is the cause of this audio problem. Here is my post in the .540 firmware forum. I thought I should repeat it here for everyone's benefit. Here it is:

I have been happy that the no-alert (audio) problem has disappeared for several days. So I just thought I would do some testing. My battery was down to about 20%. I turned on the bright flash light (backside) for about 30 seconds or so. Then about 1-2 minutes later I tested the ring … and … bingo! – I got the “Invalid ring tone selected” error – no ring, no alert.

So Coldpatrix, you were right about the flashlight being the cause. I am convinced now. So I assume that removing the battery for half a minute or so should solve the problem, right? And recharge the battery, and don't mess with the bright flashlight.

More finding -- I have tested and comfirmed that the culprit is the 2-in-1 flashlight program. Here is my posting at .540 forum:

Hey! Coldpatrix is right again. I tried using the video camera with the light on for 30+ seconds, it was ok. Tried another 30+ seconds, also ok. Then I used the 2-in-1program to turn the light on for just a few seconds, then tried the ring tone. Bingo !!!

100% confirmed!
    Last edited by artwich; 11-29-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added info.
    louzer likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I think we are forced to remove that app. It's much better. Glad the problem has been solved!
    CrackBerry Abuser

We have released a new version 1.1.4.1 of our flashlight app (2 for 1 Flashlight Free) that appears to have has solved this audio bug as well as the related error message: "Cannot play media while Third Party video recording is active." which occurred when you try to play some media after using the back flashlight.

I haven't been able to recreate the bug since updating to the new version. Give it a try and let me know if you still encounter the same problem. Sorry about the headache, and enjoy the freebie!

nige
    www.motekmobile.com
    Motek Apps and Themes On Blackberry World! Click the link below,
    http://software.crackberry.com/platf...7&pString=true
    Thanked by:
    drice01 (12-08-2011) 
    drice01 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B631BE4

I also updated from 9800 last month and not facing any issue of ringtone or sound etc. Probably, i installed OS 7 after wiping device and only transferring contacts, calendar and messages from older device.
    Prithvi (Z10/10.3.0.1154)
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by motekmobile View Post
    We have released a new version 1.1.4.1 of our flashlight app (2 for 1 Flashlight Free) that appears to have has solved this audio bug as well as the related error message: "Cannot play media while Third Party video recording is active." which occurred when you try to play some media after using the back flashlight.

I haven't been able to recreate the bug since updating to the new version. Give it a try and let me know if you still encounter the same problem. Sorry about the headache, and enjoy the freebie!

nige
    AppWorld on the device shows the old version. Where should I download from?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by artwich View Post
    The link is in his signature.
    Thanked by:
    motekmobile (12-01-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by artwich View Post
    Do you wanna try it again?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Default Solution found!!!

Alright, everyone. I have figured out the problem with the infamous, allusive & mysterious audio/alert issue with the 9850/9860 devices... The flashlight, 2 in 1 app. is the culprit! It is not compatible with these devices. If you have been having the same problems, try activating the flashlight 2 in 1 app, then test your ringer. You'll notice it will be disabled & give you and error message. You will have to delete this app & go with another flashlight option in App World (I selected a "flashlight" app and have not had any issues since).