9850 worth getting.. or should i wait
I'm still using my storm 9550. It works well. I just want something new. Actually it would be nice to be able to surf the web like the rest of the world. I just don't know if it's worth it or should I wait for the next generation BB to come out. Once I purchase I'm locked in for 20 months.
- 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM #2
You have a pb, right? Right there is your surfer. Phone doesn't really matter cept for calls etc. If your storm is acting up buy a cheaper OS 6 phone.Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
the 50K CrackBerry challenge
- 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM #3
I would pick up a second hand one, they are cheap.... $300ish
My storm is working great. I’m just a little bored and want something new. I’ve had an upgrade available since Sept. I really want a 4g BB. God knows when that day will come. I don’t go on line that much but it kind of annoys me when I have to go on line and I have to ask my kids to look something up on their iPhone because I know that they will get faster results. Yes I could use my playbook but I don’t take that everywhere I go. My other concern is the transition from the sure type to a regular touch screen. I love the sure type. I also love the reduced keyboard.
- CrackBerry User
03-05-2012, 07:03 PM #6
- 10 Posts
9850 worth getting.. or should i wait
I went from a 9530 to a 9850. What a difference! It only took me 2 or 3 days to stop trying to click the screen. The browser isn't perfect, but is much more functional. It is fast enough that I don't give up on many sites and it renders most sites reasonably.
A big factor in my decision was that I figured it would be quite a while before RIM released BlackBerry 10 for phones and even longer before they get it right.
Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
- 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM #7
With the Torch there is an option in the keyboard settings to use the reduced KB, so you aren't losing that and the landscape KB is fantastic if a bit small and crowded compared to the best out there.
The clicky screen though? No clue I had a 9700 and I don't miss the pain in my thumbs at all if that counts for anything.
I wouldn't use the upgrade to do it though, I would seriously find a nice one on Kijiji or Craigslist and pay like $300 or less for it. That way you aren't locked into the phone for 20 months, and you will be able to get a BB10 when you want it for a much lower price.8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9860, Z10! No case FTW!!!
- 03-06-2012, 05:17 AM #10
I just got one for $175 on craigslist no lie. I agree not to use your upgrade if could find a similar steal. I had a 9650 and still adapting to the touchscreen but my PlayBook assured me I would be OK. (we have an understanding)I like meeting new people follow me on Twitter @that_maynard
- 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM #11
I'm also in the same boat...due for an upgrade in the next 3 weeks. Do I really want another 3 YEAR contract with Rogers just for the new 9860? Good question. I have my Storm2 that I really like, unlocked to the network but only Edge(2G), and the upgrade I've been looking forward to is the HSPA+ (so called 4G) with the 9860. Oh...that extra speed! How does the 9850/9860 stack up in terms of reliablility and functionality? I seem to hear lots about the front button functions messing up as well as battery life? I get a full day right now on my Storm2 battery with bluetooth always on, which I don't think is too bad.From MotoRazr --> 8820 --> 8900 -->9000 -->9530 -->9550 -->9810 -->9860 -->Playbook 32Gb!
- 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM #12
I'm wondering the same thing. I've had the 9550 for close to 2 years now and I like it. It does suffer the occasional glitches like the rapid fire repetition of letters, the Surepress not working right and trying to select all when trying to zoom in on a website. Nothing a battery pull doesn't fix. But over all I like it.
I did upgrade to the 9850 thru wirefly.com for $50 with the 2-year extension Monday. I didn't activate the 9850 yet because I'm not sure if I like it. I miss the Surepress that's for sure (no pun intended)! I've been playing around with the texting and other features. I don't know if it's worth keeping the 9850 or just wait until BB releases some new phones.
- 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM #13
I'd recommend buying a used on on eBay or Craigslist or just keeping the Storm for another several months.
I personally don't think buying this phone now and locking yourself in a two year contract is worth it. The phone has been out for over six months now.
I just got one for work a while back, and it is a great phone, but I think your storm will be just fine for the next few months, until bb10 devices go on sale.
- 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM #15
I was waiting for the BB10, gave up hope. Decided to get the 9860. I am happy for me, pissed off at Blackberry. Friend told me, just wait till they get the bugs out of their new phone (BB10). Never buy anything the first year, Glad I bought the 9860
- 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM #17
I agree about the Surepress on the Storm2, I like it as well. I've played with the 9810 from a friend with O/S7 and the touch screen, and it's very difficult to get used to after having the Storm2 for so long. But that is the new way of Smartphones and the touch features for apps etc. The Future! The 9860 seems like a great device from all that I have read so far here on Crackberry and elsewhere, so I think that is my route in 2 weeks time. Hope I like it as much as some of you do. My second choice was the 9900 with the touch screen as I really loved my 9000, but after the Storm, the 9860 seems the logical path.From MotoRazr --> 8820 --> 8900 -->9000 -->9530 -->9550 -->9810 -->9860 -->Playbook 32Gb!