CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9850 Charging Problems

I'm having problems getting my 9850 to charge. Most of the time if I plug it in using a wall outlet or usb, I get the plugged in icon and a message about not charging. The desktop software will not show it as connected. Sometimes after a battery pull, it will show the lighting bolt.....very annoying. Any ideas? I'm running 362.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Are you using the charger provided with the phone? Other Blackberry chargers dont have enough output to charge the new OS7 phones depending on how old the charger is of course.
    If I helped answer your questions or provided you with information your thankful for, don't forget to clickem mah Thanks buttons!!!! Woowoowooowoowoo!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yup using the provided charger. Even tried the Playbook one.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJK View Post
    Are you using the charger provided with the phone? Other Blackberry chargers dont have enough output to charge the new OS7 phones depending on how old the charger is of course.
    CrackBerry Addict

Was it charging fine using your previous build of OS? If it was then you probably just had a bad install of the OS... Try reloading the OS but if that doesnt work, I would say its hardware related... The MicroUSB port on Blackberry's isnt the sturdiest and they usually break quite often if theres been some stress on the cable when its charging. Hope I helped!
    If I helped answer your questions or provided you with information your thankful for, don't forget to clickem mah Thanks buttons!!!! Woowoowooowoowoo!
    Thanked by:
    Cantona (09-19-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJK View Post
    Older chargers are rated at 550mA. The one that came with the Storm was rated at 700mA. The tiny little USB charging block that comes with the Torch is also 700mA. The one that came with my 4G Mifi is rated at 1.1A.

It thought that using a charger with a lower current rating would just slow down the charging rate, but maybe not. Using lower-rated chargers also seems to bother the MiFi.
    CrackBerry Addict

I noted in another thread that using my old Storm chargers causes my 9850 to go haywire. It flips thru screens an apps like someone is pressing the buttons. When I use the charger and usb it came with, I have no problems.
    So unless my phone is possessed- it is not compatible with just any charger.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

Quote Originally Posted by maddie1128 View Post
    I noted in another thread that using my old Storm chargers causes my 9850 to go haywire. It flips thru screens an apps like someone is pressing the buttons. When I use the charger and usb it came with, I have no problems.
    So unless my phone is possessed- it is not compatible with just any charger.
    Weird...I've been using my old Storm2 chargers (wall and cigarette plug in) exclusively since getting the phone, without issues. I left the new charger plug in its wrapping until recently. I'm on .353 BTW.

OP, you might want to downgrade to .353 and see if this fixes your issues.
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GBČ & 64GBČ
    Thanked by:
    Cantona (09-20-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

As for the desktop softwaren not connecting to the phone, restarting the computer always fixes this for me. As for the chargers I use BB charger from my girlfriends old curve 8330, a samsung charger, the one from my old storm 2, and a Verizon car charger with a usb port. None of which I have ever had a problem with charging my 9850. I have ran all three builds (.261, .353, and .362). So if I had to guess I would say to reload whatever Os you want and see if the problem is still there. By the way I just reloaded .261 last night. For me this seems to have to best battery life and performance of all the builds. I gave each build over a week to see how each performed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Question

Might we hope this is one of the buggy things which the first OS upgrade will address? One unit is doing fine with the VZW supplied charging dock; the other one sometimes displays the message "unable to charge your device".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

I use the charger from my PlayBook because it's rated at 1.8A which charges the phone in no time. I also use a cheap, from eBay, retractable car charger that works, though not as fast.

Crackberry had them on sale a few weeks ago so I bought two so my special friend, female, can have one for her Google phone, which has horrible battery life.

Highly recomended.
    CrackBerry User

I am having a hard time and I actually have a charger rated at 2.1 amp and I get the not enough power error also

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I was having the same issue today while using the wall charger and even thru the USB connected to my pc. I did a battery pull and once it powered back up it started to charge again. I've recently upgraded to 7.0.0.374
    CrackBerry Newbie

Unhappy Exact same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by frankdlr1972 View Post
    I was having the same issue today while using the wall charger and even thru the USB connected to my pc. I did a battery pull and once it powered back up it started to charge again. I've recently upgraded to 7.0.0.374
    This has been happening since the upgrade to .374 It doesn't recognize the wall charger or pc until I do a battery pull. Is this going to stay like this????
    How do we revert back to the original version?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by marknereen View Post
    This has been happening since the upgrade to .374 It doesn't recognize the wall charger or pc until I do a battery pull. Is this going to stay like this????
    How do we revert back to the original version?

Thanks.
    I had the same issue after upgrading to .374 but it got fixed after 1 battery pull. I've been on .374 for 7 days now and my BB continues to charge just fine without any problems, hopefully you will not have any further problems either
    CrackBerry Addict

I have the exact same problem, OP. Hasn't worked right since upgrading from the original .254 to leaked .353 to leaked .362 to the official .374. The upgrade to .374 fixed it for a couple days, but the problem came right back.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    330AB43B

I have this problem with '.374 as well. A manual battery pull fixes it, at least until That Random Event occurs which makes it act flaky again, use of PlayBook charger notwithstanding.

I would rather have this problem than the "my battery fully discharged" problem which I see other 9850 users having.

It sounds more like a software fix which will get addressed. We hope.
    CrackBerry User

I am getting truly irritated with my 9850, battery life sucks and I have only found one car charger that works for it. One of the chargers I tried was a 2.1 amp charger. I tried a battry brick by Bruntun seemed to work in the store with the factory charge. It does not work once I fully charged it. It wouldn't be a problem if it had the life of my old Tour. I get 13 hours without any calls, no video, no music just Facebook emails and web browsing. I am actually thinking of going back to my 9630 just for the usability.
    CrackBerry User

I have tried clearing off any apps from my phone, still same results, it seems that when the battery level gets low and the battery color changes from green to orange it will give me the same problem of "not enough power to chage" even though i tried hooking it up to my home pc, wall charger, and playbook charger.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lowriderb View Post
    I have tried clearing off any apps from my phone, still same results, it seems that when the battery level gets low and the battery color changes from green to orange it will give me the same problem of "not enough power to chage" even though i tried hooking it up to my home pc, wall charger, and playbook charger.
    You may want to try some canned air. That'll blow any dust particles out. Def sounds hardware related to me. I would go as far as reloading your OS as well. And if none of that works, replace it or call RIM and have them take a look at it. Calling RIM can be a lenghty process, but you could get a new phone out of it, if they can't fix it. People tend to forget that blackberry has a 1yr warranty on their products. You wouldnt get burned by your cellular insurance. Hope this helps.