Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default YouTube was working great! Now it doesn't ...

Hi all!

I've had my 9810 for almost a year now, and it's been a of a lot of fun so far. I started using it to stream YouTube videos a while ago, and everything was working great!

Now, for some reason, every YouTube video stops playing after about 2 - 3 minutes with the generic "An Error Occurred attempting to play back media" message.

I've cleared my browser (of everything except bookmarks), done numerous battery pulls, resent my service books, and updated the OS software as best I could, but the problem persists.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or could anyone offer any insight into how I might be able to fix this?

Thanks a bunch!
    CrackBerry Master

I have found the same issue. Youtube videos will play fine for the first 40s then stop with an error. This just started happening last week.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Isn't this because the download speed isn't that great and youtube somehow "cancels" the video display, causing the error?
    Last edited by theblackberrier; 11-29-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

It could be ... but my sustained download speed is pretty ridiculous. Downloads can come in anywhere from 250 - 500 kb/s.

Sort of glad to hear I'm not the only experiencing the issue as of recent.
    CrackBerry Abuser

You need to input your TCP/IP Settings in Advanced System Settings. You can get them from your carrier.
    Rushing fools have more fun than refraining angels
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Wow, and I thought I was the only one too. I don't recall when the problem started, but it is recent. There is something weird with the gateway, because it works fine on wifi.

I tried all the various APN settings available for my carrier and none made a difference. The service book probably overrides these settings.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Service Book does not override TCP/IP settings. This problem occurs when trying to use YouTube over the mobile network without the correct TCP/IP settings.
    Rushing fools have more fun than refraining angels
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

WHAT ARE THE EXACT SETTING THAT SHOULD BE IN THE PHONE? Shouldnt everyone do this?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

I have plugged in every one of the settings listed (for Android, other smartphones and non smartphone) for my carrier:
    How to configure an unlocked device | Get Support | Fido.ca

No luck. I can get to 1:15-1:30, varies from video to video. It's not a speed issue. When the data flow isn't high enough in the past, it just pauses with the buffering message. One other piece of information to add - youtube works fine from my Playbook when bridged. Seems like there's a problem with a specific media gateway and I suspect it's something on RIM's side; most (3-4) of the users seem to be on Rogers/Fido, but there is one user with Verizon.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Interesting. I hate to think we're SOL until the next OS update.

I'm going to try the WiFi thing tonight and see what happens.

Has anyone tried a 3rd party YouTube app? There's a few in App World, but if it's just a browsing app and if it calls up the internal browser/media player for playback then I don't really see it fixing the issue.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,509 Global Posts

The TCP/IP settings can be found in this link. If they don't work, you can call your carrier and get them. I don't think that is what is causing this problem though, but I'd try these settings if yours are not the same and see if it helps. Copy your current settings down so you can reapply if these don't work. Best advise is to call your carrier but if you don't want to, this came from another post on CB. Good luck!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/t-cingu...gs-os7-663776/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamstate7 View Post
    Interesting. I hate to think we're SOL until the next OS update.

I'm going to try the WiFi thing tonight and see what happens.

Has anyone tried a 3rd party YouTube app? There's a few in App World, but if it's just a browsing app and if it calls up the internal browser/media player for playback then I don't really see it fixing the issue.
    It's not an OS thing. I've been running 694 for a while and I didn't have any youtube problems until recently. The problem is that I don't remember how recently. By any chance, do you guys have unlocked phones as well (see thread below)?
    YouTube playback error

Looks like I'll be calling Fido tomorrow. Sigh.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thanks all!

Tried the various APN settings I've found on here, and to no avail. I think I'm going to hit up Rogers tonight to see if I can shake those settings loose.

For the record, this is using a regular locked Rogers handset.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Tested out a couple of new ideas.
    1) I selected the desktop version of youtube. Videos not restricted to non-mobile devices work fine. The APN settings don't matter.
    2) I downloaded a 3gp video to test the media player. No problem there.
    3) I streamed a few 3gp files, from a site other than youtube. No problems.

I think it's an issue with our service providers trying to throttle youtube.
    Last edited by deltact; 11-21-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,956 Global Posts
    PIN
    ky swear

Most times I can't even get the you tube videos to even start.
    @blueyestm
    -------------------------------------------
    CrackBerry Master

I'm certain its a carrier issue: I've tested this on 3 videos so far now. *All* play from start to finish when my BB is connected to my home WIFI only. *All* fail at 1 minute, 19 seconds when connected to Rogers only.

I'm 99% certain its not a bandwidth issue since I can stream *the same videos* on my laptop using my BB's bluetooth tethering with my BB connected to Rogers.

I will call them later today and report back. Hopefully I can get some higher level tech support.

BTW: I'd like to request everyone chime in with their carrier. I'm (as mentioned) with Rogers. As far as I know, only one non-Rogers user has been experiencing this issue (as mentioned by deltact).
    Mythos_LSX likes this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    28F16304

Default YouTube was working great! Now it doesn't ...

Any word yet? I'm on a locked rogers as well. A 9810

Sent from my BlackBerry
    BB Torch 9810 (Rogers)
    BB PlayBook 16 GB OS 2.0
    CrackBerry Master

Hi all, I re-started this topic over here by accident :/

Youtube: An error has occurred attempting to play media. You can see some details at that link.

In any case, I contacted Rogers today and they said no one else has reported the same problem (which I know to be false). Its important that all of us who experience this give them a call. If its only a few people, they figure its not worth their effort to work on it. My gut tells me its due to some small configuration change they made to their wireless edge* servers 3-4 weeks ago. (Note by 'wireless edge servers' I mean the servers that connect directly to their cell towers--nothing to do with the EDGE wireless standard).

The guy I spoke to first said youtube wasn't a Rogers issue even after I said the problem ONLY occurs when connecting to youtube via Rogers' wireless connection and NOT through WIFI, and occurs on at least two different BB OS's (7.1.0.378 and 7.1.0.746) and on at least two different BB models (9810 and 9900). I had to point out how Rogers advertises their phones as great for streaming video and has had ads showing people using youtube etc... He finally gave up and put me through to some real tech support.

(Aside: Don't be afraid to disagree with them (politely of course! because they have call scripts etc... and will automatically put you through to someone who has more technical expertise if they can't get rid of you using their stock "pass the buck" technique. Passing you on to more qualified staff is also part of their call scripts.)

The guy I spoke to next seemed knowledgeable and did a network reset. A video actually worked the first time I played it!! Second time---Nope

AS ALWAYS: After exactly 1:19s I get "An error has occurred attempting to play media"

The issue seems to be with the RTSP protocol (the 3gp video streaming protocol) and the Rogers wireless network.

The only way (I can think of at least) where this is NOT a Rogers issue is if youtube recognizes that the user is connecting via Rogers Wirelesss and then does its streaming differently for Rogers than it does for other network users, which--while POSSIBLE--is extremely unlikely.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Thanks for the info. I wonder whether this is an issue with BB OS6 phones as well. In any case, I might call again tomorrow, if I get a chance. I wish there was a case number or something that I could cite, so that I can give them some solid proof that others have the same problem. I'd happily tell them to read crackberry, but knowing them, they've probably never even heard of the site!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Ha! The problem seems to be specific to youtube, because the video from this test site works fine, all 9 minutes and 56 seconds of it.
    Mobile Streaming, RTSP/RTP, Wowza Media Server 3 | Wowza Media Systems (apologizes for the weird video, it's the first one I found one a quick search)
    CrackBerry User

Mine is not woring either. Same thing. Started early nov. Only works on wifi and plays for about 1:18 minutes! Getting really pissed off!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a blackberry 9900 and am on the Rogers network as well and am also having this error message when trying to play videos via youtube. It's been happening for about 1-2 months I think. Any one successfully find a solution yet?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

The solution lies with Rogers/Fido. So we all need to keep calling them to prove the point that it is not an isolated incident. Until that happens, they'll keep ignoring us and pretending there's nothing they can do.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Exclamation You guys are not going to like this

I am using a 9900 on the Rogers network. I just got off the phone and after 2 failed previous attempts at getting any assistance from them, as well as another 50 minute conversation with 3 technical reps and a manager, I got nothing. I called ONE more time and a technical rep named Blaine finally told me that he is also a blackberry user experiencing this issue and working at rogers, he knowns many people called regarding this issue. He looked deeper earlier and concluded after a converation with RIM, that this issue is in fact not related to rogers, but instead a problem with BB and youtube that is only present in newer devices. This is a KNOWN problem and RIM and youtube are working to get the services back up ASAP. There is nothing we can do, nothing rogers/fido can do and for now, nothing RIM or Youtube can do either except investigate the issue. There may be an update once the issue is resolved. In the meantime, were stuck waiting
    Thanked by:
    deltact (12-17-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inna Malina View Post
    I am using a 9900 on the Rogers network. I just got off the phone and after 2 failed previous attempts at getting any assistance from them, as well as another 50 minute conversation with 3 technical reps and a manager, I got nothing. I called ONE more time and a technical rep named Blaine finally told me that he is also a blackberry user experiencing this issue and working at rogers, he knowns many people called regarding this issue. He looked deeper earlier and concluded after a converation with RIM, that this issue is in fact not related to rogers, but instead a problem with BB and youtube that is only present in newer devices. This is a KNOWN problem and RIM and youtube are working to get the services back up ASAP. There is nothing we can do, nothing rogers/fido can do and for now, nothing RIM or Youtube can do either except investigate the issue. There may be an update once the issue is resolved. In the meantime, were stuck waiting
    Thank you for spending the time to get this figured out! I'm hoping it has something to do with BB10 testing, that I can forgive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast