CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why does my screen shut off when I make a phone call on my Torch 9810

I have phone numbers in my Torch 9810 that have a wait and then extension number. After I installed case on it today I tried to make a call Usually the screen would be on and have a button to press the extension. But the screen went off and would not come back on does anybody know what I am doing wrong here?

You can email me directly at kldavis7811@yahoo.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sounds like the case is covering the proximity sensor. It's designed so that when you put the phone up to your ear it will turn off the screen to avoid accidental keypresses, so the case is probably covering it. The sensor is located next to the notification LED.

What case is it?
    7290 -> 8700 -> 8310 -> 8900 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> 9810 -> Z10
    iPhone 4s
    2 PlayBooks
    CrackBerry User

It doesn't shut off; it dims. Most touch screen phones do that to avoid cheek-dialling. All you have to do is either move the phone away from your face (proximity) or touch the screen.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerstitch View Post
    I have phone numbers in my Torch 9810 that have a wait and then extension number. After I installed case on it today I tried to make a call Usually the screen would be on and have a button to press the extension. But the screen went off and would not come back on does anybody know what I am doing wrong here?

I know what you're talking about man, I've had this issue many times in a few days and its so annoying and it sounds like a bug. Usually when you take the phone off your cheek, the screen would undim but the screen won't come on until you end the call. Hope this is fixed soon cuz its h*ll of annoying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Wonder what OS you both are on? Currently running 353 and my proximity sensor works perfect. I have several number that I call daily that have extensions and as soon as I pull the device from my face it lights back up to dial those extensions.

Wonder for the OP if the case is blocking the sensor? Easy way to tell is to call somewhere you know someone won't answer, then place your finger over the entire top of the device(the sensor is located to the right and slightly below the LED). If the screen doesn't blank out and come back when you pull your finger off the phone, you have a something either blocking the sensor or a defective sensor.

If you look at the white 9800 you can see the location of the sensor.

Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Newbie

i am having the same issue..i did put a screen protector on..could this be the issue?? ive done the OS reboot already and I cant bring this phone back as I got a deal on it..it was brand new when I got it though?
    CrackBerry User

Guys, until this issue is fixed, get the phone to automatically dial these extensions for you. That's what the "Add Pause" feature is for. I would even continue do this once the issue is fixed.

Edit the details of the contact in question, navigate to just after the 10th digit of the number with the extension, hit the menu key, hit "Add Pause", type the extension, save the change.

Now when you dial that number, the phone will dial the first 10 digits, and then after a brief pause (long enough for an automatic answering service to pick up and start asking for an extension) the phone will dial the extension. No need for you to dial any extensions.

Hope this helps in the mean time.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (09-24-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Ive had the same problem-not with every call tho. I dont need it to dial extensions but more to respond or send emails, etc. Not that big of an issue to me but Ive had the problem as well. Im running .469 with att.
    Crackberry...wackberry...I love my Blackberry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    6,441 Global Posts

That's funny. When did OS 7 v.469 get released by AT&T?

CrackBerry Genius

When did OS7 V. .469 get released for any OS7 device?
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Addict

I have this problem also on the latest leak. But since I'm using the official att os I don't have the problem anymore

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,685 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask and maybe I'll tell...

Quote Originally Posted by lifeistooshort11 View Post
    i am having the same issue..i did put a screen protector on..could this be the issue?? ive done the OS reboot already and I cant bring this phone back as I got a deal on it..it was brand new when I got it though?
    Sadly yes it does! I had a mirror screen protector on my 9800 with no issue, put one on my 9810 and ummm yeah screen won't react once it dims. I lifted the screen protector up where the meeter is and viola the screen popped on. Sucks because I hate to cut a hole in the protector.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,445 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not anymore ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerstitch View Post

Ok. I have this issue with a new case I put on. Its one of the harder gel types. When I put it on y screen went black. If I took the case off the top where the lock and silence keys are it wouldn't do it. I think the case fit too snug and by it continuing to hold tose buttons down I also couldn't use the send/end ,track pad. Very sad because I Loved the case!!! Fit was a lil too perfect.

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    cushion

My 9810 goes black and won't come back on for a while when I get a call and press the answer button. It doesn't do this all the time, but every once in a while it does this. Although I find this annoying because it's unexpected - it doesn't happen all that often. I just wonder why it does this.

I'm running AT&T's .261

Any suggestions or help will be deeply appreciated.

Peace...
    :When the music changes...So does the dance!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead. Some come from behind. But, I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." Dr. Seuss[/FONT]
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tediprude View Post
    My 9810 goes black and won't come back on for a while when I get a call and press the answer button. It doesn't do this all the time, but every once in a while it does this. Although I find this annoying because it's unexpected - it doesn't happen all that often. I just wonder why it does this.

I'm running AT&T's .261

Any suggestions or help will be deeply appreciated.

Peace...
    Cant really say if it's an OS issue or sensor issue, but it would seem to me that everyone that is having issues with the screen blanking out while on a call, are all running the stock OS. I never ran 246 because 353 was out when mine came in the mail just days after it was released and I've never had this issue at all on my 9810 running 353.
    Cell Phone History: