- CrackBerry Newbie
- 1 Posts
Whatsapp BIS push setting 9810 on US ATT BB service plan
I have a 9810, use US AT&T on an unlimited BB data plan, OS 7.0.0 , whatsapp 2.7.7151 and travel internitonally quite a lot. I am not on a corporate email, this is a private BB 9810 and my email (earthlink.com) and phone plan (US ATT) are not corporate.
1) I assume that since I am on an ATT BB plan I have BIS from ATT, even though my email account is on earthlink.com? And BIS pushes both email, and whatsapp messages?
2) On whatsapp I set BIS push in options to "On" since whatsapp says this will save battery life. I assume this means whatsapp will not keep searching for messages and they are pushed to my BB using ATT BIS? And this should work for me given the info in the first paragraph and quesiton 1 above? This saves battery life? funny, seems like this uses more battery than if I set BIS Push to "on"
3) Assume I will still get messages as soon as they are sent and hit my ATT account associated with my BB phone number? Assume this will be slower than if BIS push is "off" and whatsapp keeps open line and gets messages instantly? Also assume the BIS delay will be small..a minute or two?
4) Assume whatsapp uses data plan and connectivity and questions above are not affected by international roaming as long as my ATT BB is in a country where I have phone service, get emails and tect messages on my 9810? (I know about and use ATT intl 120mb intl data plan)?
5) Any idea how much data is used by a normal "small" (say 20 normal sized words) message? Same whether I send it or receive it?
6) if I have wifi connected on 9810 (whether in US or roaming) does whatsapp use wifi or does it still use data transfer route via phone lines?
- 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM #2
Whatsapp data use on BIS is insignificant so you shld not worry about that.
i use the 9810 (my second unit in 6months) and i'm on OS7.1
again, i dont think Whatsapp will cause you a large roaming bill from normal use cos it actually rides on your BIS and will most likely not cause you anything extra.
BUT Whatsapp doesnt work on wifi...i have been with my BB internationally (not roaming). i have not mobile signal but when on wifi my Blackberry messenger is able to work but Whatsapp is not so long as it is set to use BISjust so in love with my berry
dumb phone->SonyEricsson P900->dumb phone->Storm 9530->Bold 9700->White Torch-2 9810->Grey Torch-2 9810->64GB PB bridged to Black Z10
- 07-09-2012, 08:28 AM #4
I am not a Whatsapp user but I have used a number of apps that behave strangely between BIS and WiFI when travelling internationally.
My feeling is that Whatsapp should work on WiFi when you are not roaming and this behaviour should continue when you roam. Others here have said that the ap does work when on WiFi
There is proably a setting in the app's options that you need to set/unset to make this work. In all proabability Whatsapp support will be your best bet for an answer.
Meanwhile here is a link that gives APN setting for many carriers in many countries maybe this will be of use WebMessenger Inc. APN settings
- 07-09-2012, 01:22 PM #6
I just did a little experiment. I disabled my mobile network, turned off UMA, and made sure my radio indicator said OFF. Then I messaged a friend, and he got it. So my conclusion is that Whatsapp does work on WiFi only. I should say that besides the steps listed above, I did not change any other settings that may be required to turn mobile data off.
Perhaps the most conclusive experiment would be someone who has NEVER had a BIS plan (relies solely on WiFi) trying to use Whatsapp...in a foreign country