CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default what is this FlashPlayer.plugin on my 9810?

I was surfing file explorer on my phone to see what's on there and found this. Device/start.app/Contents/Resources in that directory there are all kinds of flash player files. Inside the Start.app folder there are several MacOS folders too that have flash files.

Is the entire Start.app folder, files for interfacing with Mac computers? Since I will never use it, I wonder if I can delete all of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,933 Global Posts

Got me, I have seven folders under Device, four of which are hidden, and none of them are named "start.app." I'm presuming you might have this folder because you have a Mac?
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,661 Global Posts

I have the same as the OP
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Nope. My BlackBerry has never been close to anything Apple or Mac so it shouldn't be infected. I'm on AT&T running OS .353 if that makes a difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

If I'm not mistaken, all that stuff is part and parcel of the documentation for viewing on your computer. It has nothing to do with Flash support on the phone itself.

Note there's also an Adobe Acrobat installation program in there, too.

There's a reason the volume name is "Blackberry User Tools" Ever wonder why there was no CD in the box? LOL

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,933 Global Posts

I can only guess I don't have it because I'm on BES. Or else it just didn't come on mine. But there is nothing like it in Device.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    I can only guess I don't have it because I'm on BES. Or else it just didn't come on mine. But there is nothing like it in Device.
    Could be. I don't know anyone with a 9810 on BES otherwise I'd confirm it. Heck, I don't know anyone else with a 9810 LOL

I just deleted all that crud anyway. Who needs Reader when you have CS5?

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry Abuser

Since this is what comes up when you put start.app in Google, and no one has the answer yet, I figured it out.

This is part of a BlackBerry User Tools program that is made to run on a computer. (The Apple stuff is probably for compatibility.) When you run start.exe it has a license agreement and a Web link to Desktop Manager. That's it. It's useless. All of these associated files and directories in your Media Card root can be deleted:

files (folder)
    fonts (folder)
    start.app (folder)
    blackberry.ico
    initial.xml
    intro.png
    languages.xml
    start.exe

That will free up about 200 MB and make things look a lot cleaner. I'm using OS6, OS7 may look different.
    Last edited by Ray III; 02-11-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Media Card not Device