Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Vlingo Pro

I bricked my 9810 last month and was able to recover it and reloaded the stock OS (.261). However, I noticed Vlingo is missing. I'm assuming Vlingo that comes preloaded on the 9810 isn't the Pro version, right? At first my Compass was missing after I tried recoving my 9810 but I got that back with a 2nd reload of the OS and now Vlingo isn't there. Since BB is offering Vlingo Plus as a free download ($20 value), I was wondering if many here will be getting the Pro version?

Also, I think I remember Vlingo requiring my ONLY convenience key - which I DON'T want to use. What is the best work-a-round so I can quickly access Vlingo and not have to assign it to my convenience key? I don't think multi-click with QuickLaunch would launch Vlingo either, right? Vlingo seems to take over my convenience key, not allowing me to use it for anything else. Is this still the case?

How many free app downloads do we get via BB App World btw? Just 1?
    Devices (Present-Past): Torch 9810, Bold 9700, HTC Fuze (I HATED This Device!), Palm Treo 750, Motorola V620, Sony Ericsson T68i, Nokia 6162 (I think, b/c it had a flip-plate that covered the keyboard)
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

I've had the Pro version for well over a year now. You do have to dedicate the convenience key to it -- actually, set it to "nothing" because Vlingo itself is dedicated to the key -- and there's no workaround. Although you can do what I did, and get SixTools, which lets you use the volume rockers and mute keys as extra convenience keys.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    Thanked by:
    Nickerz (11-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    I've had the Pro version for well over a year now. You do have to dedicate the convenience key to it -- actually, set it to "nothing" because Vlingo itself is dedicated to the key -- and there's no workaround. Although you can do what I did, and get SixTools, which lets you use the volume rockers and mute keys as extra convenience keys.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Bummer, multi-click won't work with Vlingo so that I can launch my camera using the 2nd click of my convenience key. What do you use to launch your camera btw? Just curious.

At least the other issue I had with Vlingo is solved and I literally just stumbled upon right now. QuickLaunch has a feature called "Stay Lit" (which keeps the display on until you disable it) but the only way to disable it is launching QL and the only way to do this was to assign the convenience key to QuickLaunch for some reason. It's a bug that QL knows about and says he's working on it but it's been well over a month now and no fix. But it looks like pressing the convenience key for Vlingo still disables the Stay Lit feature for QL so I'm happy! Still wished Vlingo wasn't the convenience key Nazi! lol!

I really like the idea of getting Vlingo Pro for free and will use it mainly in the car while driving.
    Devices (Present-Past): Torch 9810, Bold 9700, HTC Fuze (I HATED This Device!), Palm Treo 750, Motorola V620, Sony Ericsson T68i, Nokia 6162 (I think, b/c it had a flip-plate that covered the keyboard)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Well, I thought Vlingo Plus was free. ? Can't find it on the list of "Thank You Gift" apps in BB App World.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz_BB View Post
    Well, I thought Vlingo Plus was free. ? Can't find it on the list of "Thank You Gift" apps in BB App World.
    I think it is one of the "thank you" apps yet to be released.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.1.1151
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Bummer, multi-click won't work with Vlingo so that I can launch my camera using the 2nd click of my convenience key. What do you use to launch your camera btw? Just curious.
    I have the Volume Up side button assigned to the camera via SixTools. Works great.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,262 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Released today, still not on the "Thank You" list, but an AppWorld search for Vlingo will get you to it. And, yes, it is Plus, including the additional permissions required. They removed the free version from AppWorld, probably on the assumption that it would confuse some to have two free versions there at the same time.
    Last edited by kraski; 11-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Thanked by:
    hubermania (11-04-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts

Just got it.
    It seems to work really well!
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Actually, set it to "nothing" because Vlingo itself is dedicated to the key -- and there's no workaround. .

Merci,

I just got the app and couldn't use it...quick search on crackberry.com...viola...works like a charm..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    er to the wall, and kiss her softly on her neck

Yeah, works real nice. Thank you RIM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

On the fence of whether to get it or not. I can definitely see some great uses for it re: while driving, but I take the bus to/from work right now instead of the car, so I don't know.

I realize it's free, but I don't want to install it and lose my camera convenience key :P I don't really want to mess around with this SixTools thing. Is it possible for me to download it, uninstall it, and install it at a later date without having to pay when it's eventually restored to $19.99?
    SRG
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by srgvjam View Post
    On the fence of whether to get it or not. I can definitely see some great uses for it re: while driving, but I take the bus to/from work right now instead of the car, so I don't know.

I realize it's free, but I don't want to install it and lose my camera convenience key :P I don't really want to mess around with this SixTools thing. Is it possible for me to download it, uninstall it, and install it at a later date without having to pay when it's eventually restored to $19.99?

Yes its yours forever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,262 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

At $2.99 in the Crackberry store, SixTools is handy to have. Left tab in the app allows you to shut off the startup video, change or eliminate slider sounds, lock orientation or not. Middle tab has some system info and some diagnostics. Right tab has the ability to assign different functions to volume up, volume down and mute. I actually have Quicklaunch assigned to the mute button and the camera is in my Quicklaunch menu. Of course, if you don't want to do any of that, then spending $2.99 isn't a great idea.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Frustrated over Vlingo taking over my convenience key, I went ahead and installed Six Tools and assigned Quicklaunch to my Volume Down button. I found that once QuickLaunch was active I could still use the Multi-click features...they just work a bit differently now.

For a QuickLLaunch double-click function I now click the volume down button and then the convenience key once. For a QuickLaunch triple-click function I press volume down button and then the convenience key twice...etc.

Maybe not the ideal setup, but it does allow Vlingo to work with the convenience key and the QuickLaunch multi-click feature to still work.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

With Vlingo Plus all you have to do is push your convenience key and say "open camera" and the camera opens right up. It gives you multiple options with your 1 convenience key.
    cabirder likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

I get that vlingo can open the camera, but I can tell you from having a 1 year old running around, the extra few seconds it takes vlingo to "get ready" and then "thinking", you've missed a great photo opportunity.

This six tools thing sounds like a good way to go though!
    CrackBerry Genius

you can install it and not use it until you want to.
    once installed, you have to set up the convenience key for it to work.

then, if at any time in the future you'd like to use it, you'll have it.

aternately, you can download it, use BBSAK or BB master to back up your apps, delete vlingo, and install the .cod file when ready.

either way, you get a $20 app for free.
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32D39A79

At least the other issue I had with Vlingo is solved and I literally just stumbled upon right now. QuickLaunch has a feature called "Stay Lit" (which keeps the display on until you disable it) but the only way to disable it is launching QL and the only way to do this was to assign the convenience key to QuickLaunch for some reason. It's a bug that QL knows about and says he's working on it but it's been well over a month now and no fix. But it looks like pressing the convenience key for Vlingo still disables the Stay Lit feature for QL so I'm happy! Still wished Vlingo wasn't the convenience key Nazi! lol!

I really like the idea of getting Vlingo Pro for free and will use it mainly in the car while driving.
    I use two quick ways to launch the camera: QuickLaunch and Vlingo.
    1)Set QuickLaunch as Left Convenience key and press shortcut letter you've set. (mine is C)
    2)Hold Right Convenience key to launch Vlingo and say "Open Camera."

I prefer to use my Convenience buttons for apps that can launch multiple programs. That way I can have access to all the goodies in my phone when I want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayBlack40 View Post
    I use two quick ways to launch the camera: QuickLaunch and Vlingo.
    1)Set QuickLaunch as Left Convenience key and press shortcut letter you've set. (mine is C)
    2)Hold Right Convenience key to launch Vlingo and say "Open Camera."

I prefer to use my Convenience buttons for apps that can launch multiple programs. That way I can have access to all the goodies in my phone when I want.

I guess you don't realize this because you have a 9650, but there is no left convenience key on the 9810. Only the right convenience key.

SixTools is the way to go if you want convenience key access to your camera.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry User

PIN
    238eb9ab

Quote Originally Posted by jkeithbrown View Post
    With Vlingo Plus all you have to do is push your convenience key and say "open camera" and the camera opens right up. It gives you multiple options with your 1 convenience key.
    just read this and I have a question when I press theside key a blue screen comes up and nothing happens although I would say open this or that I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by livystewy View Post
    just read this and I have a question when I press theside key a blue screen comes up and nothing happens although I would say open this or that I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you haven't set it up properly -- specifically, that you've set the convenience key to the Vlingo app itself instead of "Nothing." If setting the convenience key to "Nothing" doesn't work, I'd uninstall it and reinstall again, following the setup instructions very, very carefully.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Downloaded twice, set convenience key to "Do Nothing", says it's "Set Up Correctly". Push and hold key, starts, rolls on for five seconds or so, then says "Cannot Record". Both times this has happened. It works fine on the two 9800's though. Frustrating.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts

Ok this is getting frustrating..I'm trying to go through the setup for Vlingo and when I assign my conv key for vlingo and hold it down and say "search concert tickets" like it says in the setup and it does nothing. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?? I would really like to be able to use this. I'm using .353

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by darogers View Post
    Ok this is getting frustrating..I'm trying to go through the setup for Vlingo and when I assign my conv key for vlingo and hold it down and say "search concert tickets" like it says in the setup and it does nothing. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?? I would really like to be able to use this. I'm using .353

try setting the convenience key to "do nothing" (not vlingo)
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cntrydncr223 View Post
    try setting the convenience key to "do nothing" (not vlingo)
    Lol wow..I guess it would help if I read the instructions better, and realized it said it in the steps.. Sorry, and thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast