Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hypnoboy
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Video Recording - Strange Display

Hi Guys/Gals,

I just tried recording a video on my 9810 and noticed the strangest thing. How do I describe it? Basically, part of the screen is cut off on both sides (left and right) and the recording image area is not the full screen but more condensed vertically ...hope that makes sense. It's almost a letter boxing effect.

Why is this? Any way to change it?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Well now I feel dumb! I checked the options and the screen appears this way in HD mode. If I change to Normal mode, the recording is full screen.
    Last edited by kcmo; 03-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Next question....the image is a bit grainy. Is this just the camera quality? I almost feel like there's a sticker over the back of the phone covering the lens but I don't think there is. I keep trying to peel away what's over the lens but I think it's supposed to be there. A different finish to the rubbery sides.

Am I losing it?..
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
    Next question....the image is a bit grainy. Is this just the camera quality?
    I found this thread after reading this one. Sounds like the grain effect is normal? Maybe. lol

Video Camera Issue on my Torch 9810
    Thanked by:
    kcmo (03-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have found you need as much light as possible to get good photos or videos... The graininess seems to happen in the dark areas... Outdoor light seems best...

Also, when playing back the video on the phone (not recording), you can press the BlackBerry/Menu key to make it display correctly full screen...
    Thanked by:
    andy957 (03-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by 9700_User View Post
    I have found you need as much light as possible to get good photos or videos... The graininess seems to happen in the dark areas... Outdoor light seems best...

Also, when playing back the video on the phone (not recording), you can press the BlackBerry/Menu key to make it display correctly full screen...
    Thanks for the feedback....I'll have to try that tip for playback!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts

You need a lot of light, otherwise grainy. But you should check the settings under options, as there are different resolutions and settings for light and orientation.

Regarding the sides being cut off, that is because you have your phone in portrait orientation while filming. If you turn it sideways in landscape mode you will have top and bottom cut off instead of sides. Yes this is letterboxing because the Torch screen is 4:3 ratio at 640x480 whereas the HD is 16:9 ratio at 1280x720. This happens on my torch as well, it is normal because the HD is being scaled down to fit your 4:3 screen.

You should be filming in landscape mode anyways because this is how you will be displaying it on a TV. Otherwise you will end up with a video rotated by 90 degrees which you will have to convert later with some filters in a video converter editing program. Not worth the hassle. Just film with your phone in landscape mode.

Typed from my PlayBook and torch9810.
    Thanked by:
    Maxey05 (03-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

This guy makes sense. It's all about the format. It records in HD, it's just not formatted like that on the Torch.

Most people don't like BlackBerry because they don't understand it.. But once you know your phone.. BlackBerry is awesome!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Getting as much light as you can is important. When it doesn't have much light, it tries to compensate by uping the gain. On a regular camera, this would be like increasing the ISO, which gives you that grain. However, if you've got light, you can get a pretty awesome video.

Here's an example. This was shot in HD with my Torch 9810 of my daughter meeting Donald Duck. Be sure to watch this in HD, and you'll see that it's actually pretty awesome quality.

ungibbed likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnoboy View Post
    Getting as much light as you can is important. When it doesn't have much light, it tries to compensate by uping the gain. On a regular camera, this would be like increasing the ISO, which gives you that grain. However, if you've got light, you can get a pretty awesome video.

Here's an example. This was shot in HD with my Torch 9810 of my daughter meeting Donald Duck. Be sure to watch this in HD, and you'll see that it's actually pretty awesome quality.

That has really good color saturation.

I really want to upgrade from my Bold 9700, but I felt really let down at the fixed focus camera on the 9900.

I hope some new options come to T-mobile soon as at the minimum, I still get great still photos with my 9700, but the video capture at 640x480 is blotchy and muffled. My PlayBook is my only saving grace due to the lack of owning a real camcorder.
    BlackBerry PlayBook owner by choice along with my iPad 2, leave the hate for the underdog (RIM) at the door...