Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kraski
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trackpad on my beloved 9810 clicks but no scroll: how much to fix?

My beloved 9810 trackpad works as a button, but not as a mouse. I am not 100% sure whether it's a hardware or software issue, and I'm getting by using the touchscreen, but there are a few reasons, even with the imminent release of BB10 that I should get it fixed:

1) if RIM offers a trade-up program like they have in the past, the device will possibly have a trade in value of over $100, but I think a non-functional trackpad is a non-starter for a trade in.
    2) I may decide to wait until the "M Series" Slider comes out and with no launch date on the horizon, I will have to get a bit more use out of my 9810
    3) With its Bluetooth capabilities, a 9810 makes a great remote control device for a HTPC. Full keyboard, mouse, and "second screen" functionality even! Why pay $150 for one of those little logitech mini HTPC keyboards when even a BB9800 would do the job!

So, I think there are a few good reasons to get it fixed, but pricing is an issue: how much should I expect to pay if I take it to one of those BB repair shops that riddle the downtown Toronto core?

And are there any advanced techniques I could use to diagnose whether or not it's a hardware problem or software incompatibility? I tried doing a factory reset, but if there is a deeper-down test that I could perform to just see if bits 'n' bytes are getting from the track pad to the 'motherboard' I could at least rule that out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

Default Re: Trackpad on my beloved 9810 clicks but no scroll: how much to fix?

I have scrolling issues when I put my Otterbox case back on and manage to get the silicone scrunched up such that it presses one of the hardware buttons in. Usually its the "lock" button on the upper left. Once I straighten out the silicone, all is well again. If you don't have a case on it, perhaps try pressing all the buttons to make sure nothing is jammed inside somewhere. Just a thought...

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by lorax1284 View Post
    My beloved 9810 trackpad works as a button, but not as a mouse. I am not 100% sure whether it's a hardware or software issue, and I'm getting by using the touchscreen, but there are a few reasons, even with the imminent release of BB10 that I should get it fixed:

1) if RIM offers a trade-up program like they have in the past, the device will possibly have a trade in value of over $100, but I think a non-functional trackpad is a non-starter for a trade in.
    2) I may decide to wait until the "M Series" Slider comes out and with no launch date on the horizon, I will have to get a bit more use out of my 9810
    3) With its Bluetooth capabilities, a 9810 makes a great remote control device for a HTPC. Full keyboard, mouse, and "second screen" functionality even! Why pay $150 for one of those little logitech mini HTPC keyboards when even a BB9800 would do the job!

So, I think there are a few good reasons to get it fixed, but pricing is an issue: how much should I expect to pay if I take it to one of those BB repair shops that riddle the downtown Toronto core?

And are there any advanced techniques I could use to diagnose whether or not it's a hardware problem or software incompatibility? I tried doing a factory reset, but if there is a deeper-down test that I could perform to just see if bits 'n' bytes are getting from the track pad to the 'motherboard' I could at least rule that out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Let's try a couple of simple things.

1) Did it start right after or shortly after installing a particular app? If so, try uninstalling the app and then do a battery pull.

2) Get some Isopropyl alcohol. That's the fancy term for rubbing alcohol. It can be a mixture with water, but make sure you don't get the variety with lotion in it. Use a q-tip or piece of tp or tissue with the alcohol on it. Rub it on the trackpad. It evaporates fast, so wait a couple of seconds and try the trackpad. Like other things we touch, we can sometimes unknowingly transfer stuff onto the trackpad. Remember it's optical, so anything that fogs it up can keep it from working right. Just like we need to clean the lenses regularly on our eyeglasses.

If neither of those work, that's the limit on my technical expertise.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    sputneek likes this.

Follow this video to take apart the 9810 and the reverse it to put it back together. You only need to go as far as the trackpad removal and stop. After that point it's about the screen.

From ebay.com
    tools needed. Blackberry Torch 9800 9810 Bold 9900 Repair Fixing Open Tools Kit T2 T3 T5 T6 | eBay
    parts needed. Replacement Trackpad Trackball Button Flex Cable for Blackberry Torch 9800 9810 | eBay
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947

Just so you know. I did this exact repair on my friends 9810 last night. It took me about an hour to finish. The hardest part is undoing the clips that hold the trackpad flex cable in. Everything else is easy. If you can find a very small, extremely thin flat head screwdriver it will be a huge help.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I had the same problem this morning. It happened right after uninstalling a few apps. I did 2 battery pulls with no change. I reinstalled bbm music and pulled the battery 2 times and it started working again. Not sure if it was deleting bbm music or deleting 3 apps at once but it's working again. Did you install or delete any apps before it stopped working?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Trackpad on my beloved 9810 clicks but no scroll: how much to fix?

ok, so i deleted bbm music again and after a battery pull my track pad stopped working. reinstall and it works. guess i will leave bbm music installed so my trackpad works.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

BBM Music causing a problem, eh? Interesting... I recall that BBM updated recently, but I didn't make the connection. I've just uninstalled it and will edit this message with the results of the uninstall / battery pull.

EDIT: reinstalling BBMusic and doing another OS upgrade didn't solve it: now where to buy the trackpad for a reasonable price?
    Last edited by lorax1284; 11-10-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

It fixed itself again. I am totally not upgrading my firmware ever again. Getting my trackpad back was the best Black Friday moment.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

It happens to me sometimes. A reboot fixes it
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by rgshah3 View Post
    It happens to me sometimes. A reboot fixes it
    I have tried rebooting lots of times: I'm sure there's a software incompatibility / race condition or something difficult to reproduce, because I've tried a lot of software fixes and even within the same user session it will stop working then start working again... and sometimes, the response is very sluggish, so I wager some background process that may be carrier-customized is buggy and therefore just causing hiccups. If only it was as simple as a "battery pull" I would just put up with it until BB10 devices are available... but as it is, it's working now, so I'm content.

I doubt this is hardware related in any way, but how likely is this a result of an intermittent hardware failure, like a 'loose wire' that gets reattached somehow. I mean, the little ribbon cable that attaches the trackpad to the daughter board is not a good candidate for 'loose wires', but at this point, I'm going to rule out any effort to have the trackpad swapped out, as it appears the problem is totally software related, not hardware.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've had the trackpad freezing issue a couple of times. The previous time, a couple of reboots sorted it out. This time, however, reboots, deletion of applications followed by reboots and just plain swearing at the BlackBerry did nothing for me. I read a bunch of these threads and my solution appears to be the deletion of BBM Music followed by a reboot. No need to reinstall it.

Hopefully, this solves it permanently. I think a backup is in order right now.