Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch 9810 is very hot

Maybe you guys can offer some insight to a problem i'm having
    I have an issue with heat coming from the back of the phone around the SD card slot even though the battery itself is cool. I have had the problem since I first got the blackberry and have managed to live with it by aiming for cooler SFI's such as the .714 SFI.

May I add that besides the heat issue I have a more serious issue with my phone whereby the battery indicators would indicate something like say 35 percent and i would get that notification of "battery too low for radio use meanwhile All the monitoring apps report I have 35% battery left. this usually happens when my battery percentage is between 30% and 40%. At times when I try to switch network back on it wouldnt work however most times it does but then if i use the phone slightly it starts dropping with increments of say 10% every two mins or so. meaing in about 5 mins the phone dies completely. Could it be my battery, my phone, or even my charger? Charger seems fine though so its a toss up between phone and battery.
    Any ideas or assistance?
    BBM Channel: C000F811E

Blog: http://phlykid.tumblr.com

What doesn't kill you could very well injure you. Also, its morally wrong to allow naive end users to keep their money
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts

My guess would be the phone.Why I say this is because you yourself self you dont feel any heat from the top part of the phone, where the battery is. If the battery was draining that fast I would say it would get pretty toasty. It might be a software glitch. Id save everything to Desktop Manager then then reset it to factory. Make sure you take out your SD card too just in case before you do the reset, ive known some people that it has wiped their SD card by accident too.

What are you running for the battery to get hot? are you able to reproduce the heat every time or is more random? the monitoring app could be just a bad make. you can check the battery life in the settings menu, i believe its in the device section.
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

the heat is from the botto and it gets quite toasty. As far as i know i'm the only one that has a device that nearly reaches 50 degrees celcius according to meterberry as well as advance OS. i usually put it on a cool surface to cool down. At times even remving the case and back door then just leaving it liek that on a cool surface for awhile. I reckon I have done a device reset once before as I try out various hybrids on my phone. I'm always careful I dont leave apps running. The apps I install are sugarsync which is always closed unless i need to upload a file to the cloud. At the moment I dont even have it installed so i'm certain its not the culprit. Use podtrapper. currently not installed so its also not a culprit. Advance OS, meterberry, twitter, facebook, whatsapp, ddnotes, ucbrowser, fighting words, bible, shazam, tapatalk, google maps & rockfile manager. The heat issue was present before i even had tapatalk and shazam.
    I'm thinking its more of a hardware issue but not certain hence I decided to ask. So yea I can reproduce the heat everytime i surf the web for awhile or tweet for some time. going in and out of apps while checking out say facebook.
    However its the battery dying at around 40% that has me really concerned. Is that a sign of a battery needing replacement? I wouldnt mind if the phone would drain till 5% like normal phones however when i see i have reached 40% or 35% battery life the I have to search for a plug for my phone could die any moment. Frustrating to say the least. I also dont want to invest in a battery for it to turn out that its my phone that needs fixing.

What doesn't kill you could very well injure you. Also, its morally wrong to allow naive end users to keep their money
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Aaahh, this problem. I had faced

First of all, its a bad calibration. It usually happens when the phone is rebooting/booting with the charger connected, or disconnected less than 15 minutes before the reboot

Fix to it: at 35% when your radios go off, do a soft reboot immediately. It will come back on with less than 10% (when all this happens, make sure IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO A CHARGER OR TO THE COMPUTER)

Then let it drain to 1% or so. Dont let it drain COMPLETELY. When its around 1-2%, connect a charger to it and full charge it, problem solved

Solved this on mine, my brothers and my aunts phones. They work perfect now.

And the device heating, I too have high temp levels like you. Its whatsapp. Major culprit. I tried uninstalling whatsapp for a day and my temperatures dropped. But I installed it back. I use it more than bbm

Hope it help
    Thanked by 2:
    Mecca EL (03-08-2013),  Phly_kid (03-08-2013) 
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I'm sitting at 39% battery at the moment. Will try your suggestion out and see. Wait for radio off, do soft reboot, wait till almost off and plug it into charger. Got it.

UPDATE
    I watched the phone take its time draining. It had just reached 23 and I tried to surf abit and then bam! I got the battery too low for network use and data connections switched off. Did soft reset and upon restarting the phone only had 1% battery life so I just plugged it in to charge via a wall charger.
    Fingers crossed this works.

BTW leave data connections off till battery full or not or does it not make a difference?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phly_kid; 03-08-2013 at 02:53 AM.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Phly_kid View Post
    I'm sitting at 39% battery at the moment. Will try your suggestion out and see. Wait for radio off, do soft reboot, wait till almost off and plug it into charger. Got it.

UPDATE
    I watched the phone take its time draining. It had just reached 23 and I tried to surf abit and then bam! I got the battery too low for network use and data connections switched off. Did soft reset and upon restarting the phone only had 1% battery life so I just plugged it in to charge via a wall charger.
    Fingers crossed this works.

BTW leave data connections off till battery full or not or does it not make a difference?

yeah it wont make a difference..
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

Regarding the temperature: if the high temp continues, try removing the memory card and see, if this would solve the problem.
    What OS version are you on ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

If removing the memory card actually helps with temps then i'll be stumped coz I need to have a mem card. OS version that i'm running at the moment is 861 base + SFI and RC 13 hybrid. I'm sure the temps are not OS related however about the memory card I have never actually tested phone without it and had it even before getting the phone. If it helps, under memory card settings I have "enable compression" as unticked.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

I don't knwo if this is the case, so that's why I suggested trying it out.
    In my case the file structure got corrupted, and the system was indexing the files without the end, and that's why it went hot. I copied the files using PC, low-formatted the card, and manually reverted the files. Since then it is working fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Will try it out, want to see if the battery dying around 40% issue has been resolved, then i tackle the heat problem.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    PIN
    280b39e0

I had a similar batt problem, about 2 weeks after it started 40% dead, it started rapid discarge-charge.
    As in, it would reach below 40% and I would charge it, 5 min later it would show full charge. I would unplug it, send a couple e-mails, and it would drop to below 40% again. Bought a new batt on amazon for cheap, all the problems are gone. Mine started the same as yours.

As for the heat, the bottom back of the phone is where the radio chip and amp is located. The one os I had gave me trouble where when ever I would surf the net for more than 5-10 mins at a time it would get hot. Currently I am using 7.1.0.746 with no problems at all.
    I stopped using hybrids about a years ago, they were giving me more problems then they were worth.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810. using Tapatalk
    Z10 10.3.0.140
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

UPDATE:
    @rgshah3 no joy here. Everything was fine as i was using the phone. battery was around 53% but since i'm on the 6hr battery pull routine so that the hybrid can settle, I pulled out the battery and when I had it back and phone rebooted I was shocked to see only 15% battery left. here are some screenshots as they say a pic is worth a thousand words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_18_50_58.jpg   Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_19_13_05.jpg   Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_19_08_09.jpg   Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_19_15_38.jpg   Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_19_16_24.jpg  

Torch 9810 is very hot-bbscreenie2013_03_08_19_16_48.jpg  
    Last edited by Phly_kid; 03-08-2013 at 12:12 PM.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Umm, try the method I stated 2 more times. if not, its the battery. You might have to replace it
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I was just chatting to a friend and he too confirmed the same issue and after he bought a new battery all the problems are gone. So it seems this one is as good as gone. Will stick to buying from a local vendor as i get it there and then. Word is one can be had for 80 to 100 bucks here. That's about 8 to 10 US dollars. Quite affordable. Thank you for all the input, highly appreciate it, this issue was driving me up the wall.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,420 Global Posts

I was just chatting to a friend and he too confirmed the same issue and after he bought a new battery all the problems are gone. So it seems this one is as good as gone. Will stick to buying from a local vendor as i get it there and then. Word is one can be had for 80 to 100 bucks here. That's about 8 to 10 US dollars. Quite affordable. Thank you for all the input, highly appreciate it, this issue was driving me up the wall.
    Phil_kid: I'd buy it off of CB if you can. You want to make completely sure it is the real battery for the 9810 and not a knock off, as the real deal is coded internally. A lot of knock offs crash and burn your phone or won't work at all--or very long. Not sure how the coding thing works but over the years there have been a lot of posts regarding this. Go to this CB address for the real deal. BlackBerry F-S1 Standard Battery for Torch 9810, Torch 9800 | BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry
    Thanked by:
    Phly_kid (03-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    PIN
    280b39e0

As much as I like crackberry, I always find there prices high. I got an oem battery from amazon for 1/3 the price crackberry sell for, and from a reliable seller and sipping was free.

Sorry to say, when I got my dock and gateway for less than half of crackberry's price. I had no problem going else where.

Z10 10.3.0.140
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,420 Global Posts

It's's true that the prices are higher with CB, but with batteries, you have to be really careful what you buy or you could end up with a fried phone. You can buy BB batteries a lot of places that are original and not knockoffs, I just used CB b/c we were on this forum.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,420 Global Posts

Just an update--Been running .861 since Friday evening and its running cool! About 73 degrees F on the average and a little higher with extensive use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    PIN
    280b39e0

I am still running 746, it has never got hot for me, I just realized that there has been a updated os, lil hard to follow since everything has been about the Z10 that most people in the USA like me can't even get a in person look at.

Z10 10.3.0.140
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Decided to go with plain .861 OS. it runs cooler but my cool is still above average for most. However I can feel the phone is not as warm/hot as it used to get. But once i use it extensively i will get to gauge it properly. Temps have been between 29 degrees and 34 degrees today so I'm more than happy. Atleast with constant use it will be around 40degrees and not absurdly higher than that.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,420 Global Posts

Hey Phil_kid,The only time my install was hot was when I first installed it. it was like 90F (think that's about 34 C) and that is hot! But once I did a battery pull and let it settle in, it's back to around 73F (about 23C). It's running really smooth and seems quite stable. Better signal strength I think but have noticed that some of the people I called said I was garbled and breaking up, but think it was the location I was in and not the OS. I'm keeping an eye on it though and will post anything that changes one way or the other.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,242 Global Posts

Decided to go with plain .861 OS. it runs cooler but my cool is still above average for most. However I can feel the phone is not as warm/hot as it used to get. But once i use it extensively i will get to gauge it properly. Temps have been between 29 degrees and 34 degrees today so I'm more than happy. Atleast with constant use it will be around 40degrees and not absurdly higher than that.
    I was about to ask you to post a link to your phones event log, but if. 861 is working that's cool.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    newcollector likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Mecca EL View Post
    but if. 861 is working that's cool.
    Considering the nature of the problem....I had to laugh when I read this....
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    Considering the nature of the problem....I had to laugh when I read this....
    Was wondering if anyone caught that.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    Azensun and go1ndr like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

hmm.... do you think the event log would help in giving insight as to the fluctuations of the heat or drop in battery. What I have noticed is the phone untouched would be ohk then i would have it in my hands and if i struggle with signal, temps start to rise. until a simple thing like checking twitter or browsing shoots up the temp and before I know it I have a hot piece of tech in my hands. Have to wait abit before I can invest in a new battery but the drop in battery seems to be getting worse and the gap between what it was showing and what it is after a few minutes widening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast