Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch 9810 has Gone Dark

All was good until yesterday when I received a text photo and then the screen went dark. I've done numerous battery pulls and it is fully charged. Only twice when the battery was reinserted did the screen come back to life. Then it timed out and was gone. I was able to synch the phone with the dark screen and grabbed all my pics and data and save to my laptop. I'm considering doing a reset. I bought the phone in Jan 12 and switched out AT&Ts OS for RIMs and added Rroyys Bridge app so I could tether to my PB. I don't have insurance on the phone and I don't want to take it in bc it doesn't have AT&T's native OS. It was not dropped and it does not have any screen protector or coating of any kind. While dark, it does receive texts and calls occasionally (I can tell by the chimes). When I answer a dark call, the phone works fine but still no screen.

It's probably not related, but I just the day before the darkness deleted FB and Twitter from the phone. Coinsidence? Or am I being punished for disconnecting? LOL

So if I reset, and I reinstall AT&T's native OS through a sideload, would they be able to tell the jailbreak if I took it in?

Thoughts?
    "So Cybil, how many of you are in there?"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts

Bummer for sure! If it were me, I'd delete the vendor.xml files on your PC (2) and download the newest .746 build from Cincinnati Bell. I can post the link if youi can't find it. Then I would do a complete back up from DM since you dont need the screen for that. Next I would download BBSAK from the web (google it) and hood your phone up to it and then do a complete wipe of the phone. Also do an additional back up on BBASK. The I would install the downloaded Cinci Bell OS and using apploader, install it. That way if its a corrupted OS, the phone will be completely clean and you will be able to download any OS it sees. ATT won't care what upgrade you have on it honestly, but if you feel better you can install the AT&T .694 official AT&T update and you will have that base covered. They are both good but I like the Cincinnati Bell one better. Update us on here to let us know how it goes and good luck.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Will do. That's going to take some time so I'll tackle that this evening. Can you reply with the link to the .746 build? I'd apprecaite it. I don't have the BBASK but I'll go find that too. If the .746 doesn't fix it, I'll load the .694. On the charger all last night the keyboard lights were aglow but still no screen this AM. My PB shows it in bt options (it's currently highlighted) but not connected and no ability to do so. My poor baby doesn't feel good.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts

Hi there-here is the link for the Cincinnati Bell build. Yo can google BBSAK on the web and download free to you pc. It stay on you pc and opens when you phone is attached. I think it also has trouble shooting programs on there as well. Its a must have tool for BB.Good luck and keep us posted.

Blackberry Torch 9810 version 7.1.0.746 (7.1.0.2108) officially released today by Cincinnati Bell Inc..
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Well, it felt like I was up all night with a sick kid. Finally hit the hay at 0130 and up againt at 0430 but it looks like the wipe & reload didn't work. All I can think of now is a physical screen glitch - and it's the one phone I don't have the insurance on...geez. Yesterday I was able to make calls through my Ford Sync Radio so the phone works. I just can't see the screen. I installed .746 but since it didn't fix the problem, I'm going to replace it with .694 and head into the AT&T store today.

I really only use the phone, calendar, contacts, text, camera, browser, &notes...I wonder if it might be cheaper to scale back on the BB model rather than repair this one? And the physical key board is a must-have for me too. I'll talk to the phone guy at the store. Thoughts?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts

You know, it may be a broken cable that connects to the screen (read about that somewhere on here). Just for the heck of it, do you have a generic cell phone repair place around there that you could take it to. If it's not under warranty or covered by ins then a place like that would be better. BTW, the .746 seems to be a lot better than the .694 and AT&T really doesn't care what OS you have on it. Keep us posted as to what happens and good luck.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,322 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
    Well, it felt like I was up all night with a sick kid. Finally hit the hay at 0130 and up againt at 0430 but it looks like the wipe & reload didn't work. All I can think of now is a physical screen glitch - and it's the one phone I don't have the insurance on...geez. Yesterday I was able to make calls through my Ford Sync Radio so the phone works. I just can't see the screen. I installed .746 but since it didn't fix the problem, I'm going to replace it with .694 and head into the AT&T store today.

I really only use the phone, calendar, contacts, text, camera, browser, ¨es...I wonder if it might be cheaper to scale back on the BB model rather than repair this one? And the physical key board is a must-have for me too. I'll talk to the phone guy at the store. Thoughts?
    Are you sure you don't have the built in screen lock active? Or maybe you have an app installed, with the screen locking feature active, and you don't realize it?
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Took it back to the AT&T store and it was still under warranty. I put the .694 back on it just in case, but they couldn't tell either re: dark screen. They sent me to a local maintenance place downtown and they replaced my beloved Torch in about 10 minutes. The first time I hooked it up to DM, I switched out the OS to .746 so I'm back in business! Just need to load Bridge so I can techther with my PB again. Thanks for the advice!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
    Took it back to the AT&T store and it was still under warranty. I put the .694 back on it just in case, but they couldn't tell either re: dark screen. They sent me to a local maintenance place downtown and they replaced my beloved Torch in about 10 minutes. The first time I hooked it up to DM, I switched out the OS to .746 so I'm back in business! Just need to load Bridge so I can techther with my PB again. Thanks for the advice!
    Glad you got it fixed buddy!