CrackBerry User

PIN
    27EE465D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Tips & Tricks

Sorry if this is already out there. But i was wondering if we could start a tips and tricks thread for the 9810 and the OS7....This would be really helpful for some people like me that came from other devices, and are really looking to embrace the BB and get the best out of their BB.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Does the following trick still work for the 9810 using the physical keyboard? ...

Hold "alt" key and press the return key (arrow pointing left)

...this works on my 9700 and I think my wife's 9800. This protects against pocket dialing as you have to enter your password to unlock the phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I don't have a password set but if I do alt-return, it pops up with input language dialog.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    Nickerz (09-04-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

Yes ALT return locks my 9810. I also enable short cuts in the browser so pressing T moves you to the top of page. B takes you to the end. W brings up the tabs, G does bookmarks, and space moves down 1 page at a time.

With the virtual kb open you can slide your finger on it to close the kb.

Thanked by:
    Nickerz (09-04-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double_J75 View Post
    Yes ALT return locks my 9810. I also enable short cuts in the browser so pressing T moves you to the top of page. B takes you to the end. W brings up the tabs, G does bookmarks, and space moves down 1 page at a time.

Thanks, was hoping this was still a tip/trick that will work on the 9810. I tested my wife's 9800 and hers at first asked about a language for UK and I selected no, then the lock worked after that

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double_J75 View Post

I finally have my 9810 now but when I hold the alt key and then press the return key, it doesn't lock. Instead, it does what wtom said, it it pops up with input language dialog.

I enabled short cuts in the browser too and I have a password set. Anyone know how to lock it using the alt key and return key and set this up?
    Devices (Present-Past): Torch 9810, Bold 9700, HTC Fuze (I HATED This Device!), Palm Treo 750, Motorola V620, Sony Ericsson T68i, Nokia 6162 (I think, b/c it had a flip-plate that covered the keyboard)
    CrackBerry Genius

Most common shortcut everyone should know is a soft reset. Alt + right shift + del keys at the same time will reboot the device. Saves time when an actual physical battery pull isn't needed.

Setting up the Word substitution is also a great idea(options > tyoing and language > word substitution). You can do things like type "U" and it will output "you". Hate the annoying text speak but like to type that way(saves a ton of time) so word substitution for me is a must have.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->