Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,509 Global Posts

Default Re: Thinking of getting a 9810 (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Asdic Ping View Post
    I really like my 9810 but I saw this video on youtube which basically says that the 9800/9810's flex cable will eventually break if you slide the phone. Advice from the video is not to slide the phone to avoid this problem. Not good if you really like the slide out keyboard. What do others think?
    Torch for 2 1/2 yrs and my 9810 Torch since they came out, and use(d) them both constantly! I send and receive many (sometimes up to 100) emails and texts a day and always have, as I use it for business. I hate typing on the virtual screen (which is why I'll wait for the keyboard BB-10) so I have to use the slider every day, all day! I have never had a problem.
    I have had a problem with many of the cases breaking on the slider part, but since putting on the AFG ERT Shell, that is no longer a problem. Trust me that you will love the slider if you like typing on physical keyboard and my guess is, you will never have a problem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGod View Post
    I don't like sliders. I feel like the flex will eventually break. It's either all touch or qwerty for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    My flex broke. There is no more power going to my handset speaker so have to talk to people on bluetooth, handsfree or a loudspeaker
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by rgshah3 View Post
    My flex broke. There is no more power going to my handset speaker so have to talk to people on bluetooth, handsfree or a loudspeaker
    Out of interest, what is your usage pattern and how long have you had the phone?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

got it in september 2011

very heavy usage!!

aprox 1000 bbms a day and therefore continuous sliding up and down
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    deltact likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,069 Global Posts

All phones can break. Large touch screen can be broken if dropped. Sliders can break, etc. Get the phone that works best for you, take care of it and enjoy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

got it in september 2011

very heavy usage!!

That is seriously epic! Assuming it uses the same mechanism as the 9800, you've exceeded the 150k cycles it is rated for:
    BlackBerry Torch Review | CrackBerry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default Thinking of getting a 9810 (again)

got it in september 2011

very heavy usage!!

Awww... Didn't even last a year, that sucks. That's what I'm talking about that's why I'm paranoid of sliders.

I do BBM and email a lot as well! That why I bought a cheap phone so I can see if it could withstand it. It's been good so far.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Part of the issue is how you use the slider. If you slam it up and down and generally treat the phone like a hockey puck, then odds are the flex cable will break. If you open and close the phone in a normal motion, then everything should be fine. One thing the 9810 has over other sliders is how solidly it is made with little to no play in the slider mechanism. And if you put the phone in an AGF GRT case, then you have a tank on your hands. My wife has a Pantech slider; one of those side slide jobs. It wobbles more than weebles do. And she is having problems (it is a dumb phone/almost smartphone) and will be replaced as soon as the frustration with it grows to unbearable or her contract comes up, which ever comes first. I am hoping to get her on BB10 with me when it comes out, but we shall see.

Back to the original question at hand. Given how close it seems the BB10 phones are to being released, I would wait.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,509 Global Posts

I am really sorry how much trouble you have had with your phone slider. However, I still think that no matter how many emails/texts you send/receive, if you don't abuse the phone, baring any problems from factory, you will not normally have a problem with the slider. My wife's 9800 and 9810 have been dropped so many times that her white 9810 looks like someone shot it on the slider cover with buckshot! Knicks and scrapes all over it--dropped with slider open and closed and still, it's working fine. She got the 9810 the first week they came out, and has had issues with the earlier OSs and apps but never with the slider.
    I had my 9800 slider for over 2 1/2 years and never an issue with the slider, and like my wife, I got my 9810 when they first came out and still no issues with the slider. Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've put it in my back jeans pocket with the slider open by mistake and sat on it, etc, still never an issue. I truely doubt you will have a problem with it but wait for the BB10 if you are worried, and then this whole conversation is unimportant. I personally hope they come out with a BB10 Slider phone as that would be the best of both worlds!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

+1 on the slider, but if no slider, then I will play with the two styles and see which I can live with. Since I can type pretty good on my PlayBook, I will probably go with the touchscreen. But we shall see what will be.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12