Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Thinking of getting a 9810 (again)

So, I have an upgrade available on one of my lines and I am really thinking about getting a 9810, again....I had one in the past, and I miss it at times. Is everyone here still enjoying their 9810? How does it run with the latest OS?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    Secret :D

I'd say wait for BB10, its only a few months away. Rather than you get the 9810 now, and when BB10 comes out you'll want BB10.

9810 has been good, but getting a bit annoyed of slide phones. Battery life is not so bad..

overall loving my 9900 and my 9810.

Its really up to you, but if you could wait, just wait!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    9000 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> 9900
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,327 Global Posts

Default Re: Thinking of getting a 9810 (again)

Other than the thickness, it's a pretty nice phone. I would probably wait for BB10 at this point though unless you can get one off contract. Save your upgrade.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    330e6cee

Have had the 9810 about 1 month....BES upgrade from curve. So far like the phone very much, but still prefer my personal 9930 so quick and easy and the very best keyboard.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Been loving my 9810 since I got her last year and will keep her until my upgrade option in June. I will then head to BB10. You may want to wait for the new phones in January, but if you just really want a 9810, then get it. Personally I think the 9810 should be the flagship of the BlackBerry line...great touchscreen and you still get a very good physical qwerty keyboard.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.3247
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    tropicalmom likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2bb37f14

I agree with everyone here so far-- the 9810 is great, but BlackBerry 10 is probably only 4 or 5 months away, so if you used your upgrade on it now, you would have to pay full retail for the BlackBerry 10 device.

Then again, it will probably be at least a year before RIM launches a slider of any kind, as they will be focusing on "streamlining" their device lineup, with the full qwerty and full touch screen phones.
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry User

I recently moved from a Bold 9900 to a Torch 9810. I was a Torch 9800 owner as well. I like the larger screen on the 9810, and apart from the smaller keyboard on the 9810 (as compared to the 9900), the 9810 is probably the best BB you can get at this point in time.

It has:
    1) Same fast CPU as the 9900
    2) Better battery life than the 9900
    3) Larger screen than the 9900, great for games, reading & email
    4) Improved screen resolution from the 9800
    5) Superb autofocus camera (cant get this anymore on any other BlackBerry)

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    Singapore

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I love my Torch, but after playing around with a 9930, I do wish it had a bigger keyboard, but I love my 9810, love the camera on it.

But I do agree with everyone else on holding off til BB10. Unless your other line will be available for upgrade around the time of the BB10 release.
    TeamBlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,512 Global Posts

Here's my 2 cents worth of opinion-lol! Get the 9810 and then when the BB10 comes out, check them out and give them 6-months to fix the issues and come out with the slider and then buy it!
    Just kidding as I know how the upgrade games go but I do believe that the one thing that will be very missed on the BB10 is the trackpad! You don't think about it or how much you depend on it, until you don't have it! Also, having the ability to have a great touch screen, coupled with a trackpad (think mouse) and a physcial Qwerty keyboard is a lot to give up. I tried to look up something on a friends curve the other day, and man, with out the combo touch screen/keyboard, it seemed so hard--how spoiled we have become. I think the BB10 with the keyboard will take care of most of us that used to it, but I'm going to miss that trackpad a lot! And so will anyone that has one now. So wait for the BB10, check them both out and make your decision then--and good luck!
    CrackBerry User

I'm going with the 9810 now from a Storm 2. I will be getting BB10 on my Playbook. Need the 4G speed and faster device now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would say wait and stick with what you have till the second quarter of next year. By then, it'll be pretty clear if BB 10 will be the new rock star or end up a dud. In the case of rock star, get BB 10, that's no brainer, well, consider alternatives otherwise.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,178 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by mjp27 View Post
    5) Superb autofocus camera (cant get this anymore on any other BlackBerry)
    The torch 9850/9860 has autofocus.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,075 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I know everyone here is telling you to wait for BB10 (well, with the exception of Mark in Singapore ), however...your question is whether we like our 9810s, not whether to wait. So I'll chime in and say that the 9810 is a great phone. I find the keyboard a tad small (particularly the TYGH keys are hard to access right under the slider sometimes) but nonethless build quality is excellent, camera/call/speakerphone outstanding, screen is great, apps work well and all in all I'd say it's a winner. The *only* issue I've had is that sometimes after closing an app, there is a 'ghost' or 'shadow' of that app's window on the main screen but it quickly disappears. I've seen it more and more lately, so I don't know if it's a memory issue or what, but otherwise everything is working fine. I also upgraded to the AT&T build even though I'm on Bell and there seem to be no problems thus far. Go for it!
    CrackBerry Addict

I think my 9810 gives me the best of all, a large touch screen and fab keyboard. I like the thickness and the compactness of the slider. I look forward to the next Slider with BB10 OS.
    Be careful when Speaking, you create the world around you with your words-Navajo
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

Does it matter much that there is NO FLASH SUPPORT. I suppose it does html 5 just fine?
    CrackBerry User

You'll find that the web browser on OS7 is superb. I'd say it's better than Safari on iPhone. Highly recommended.

I moved from a 9900 to a 9810, and have no regrets. Better batt life, larger screen, reasonable keyboard.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

My 9810 on 7.1.0.714 is great.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,769 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Here's my 2 cents worth of opinion-lol! Get the 9810 and then when the BB10 comes out, check them out and give them 6-months to fix the issues and come out with the slider and then buy it!
    Just kidding as I know how the upgrade games go but I do believe that the one thing that will be very missed on the BB10 is the trackpad! You don't think about it or how much you depend on it, until you don't have it! Also, having the ability to have a great touch screen, coupled with a trackpad (think mouse) and a physcial Qwerty keyboard is a lot to give up. I tried to look up something on a friends curve the other day, and man, with out the combo touch screen/keyboard, it seemed so hard--how spoiled we have become. I think the BB10 with the keyboard will take care of most of us that used to it, but I'm going to miss that trackpad a lot! And so will anyone that has one now. So wait for the BB10, check them both out and make your decision then--and good luck!
    The trackpad will be missed, but not missed that much if I can get a bigger screen for it. Having a touch screen, it's usually just easier to tap and swipe around with it. One thing that I use the trackpad for clicking on links on webpages. No matter precisely I tap, I always hit the wrong thing (this is generic to all touchscreens, even my playbook I hate trying to click on stuff). So yes, that is one thing I will miss about the existing BB phones, but not that much. Bring on the BB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    947 Global Posts

If you can afford it, purchase an aftermarket (ebay, kijiji) 9810 now, and reserve your hup subsidy for the more costly BB10 model coming next year. Getting a subsidized 9810 now would not be most cost-effective, since reasonably good used 9810s can be had for $250 or less.

Just suggesting you don't rule out an outright purchase.
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I don't like sliders. I feel like the flex will eventually break. It's either all touch or qwerty for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

Thats not a good reason not to like a slider. Its very rare occasion that a ribbon cable breaks on the Palm sliders and im sure its rare on the torchs. I have seen people with little skill repair themselves too.

Im a couple weeks on a used 9810 and think its a great phone! Almost wish I got it a year ago.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    Thats not a good reason not to like a slider. Its very rare occasion that a ribbon cable breaks on the Palm sliders and im sure its rare on the torchs. I have seen people with little skill repair themselves too.

Im a couple weeks on a used 9810 and think its a great phone! Almost wish I got it a year ago.
    True. The 9810 is a good phone because it allows you to experience touchscreen and a qwerty at the same time. Being a slider, it has a screen bigger than the other qwerty phones that RIM sells and it looks awesome, to be honest.

But still, I really have a bad experience with sliders and flip phones. I've broken flexs several times in the past and it just frustrates me. The 9810 is a great phone, I just generally don't like sliders for fear of breaking it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

You can always get a used 9810 cheaply, if getting one means you will get stuck in a new contract. Better to save the contract for BB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post

I really like my 9810 but I saw this video on youtube which basically says that the 9800/9810's flex cable will eventually break if you slide the phone. Advice from the video is not to slide the phone to avoid this problem. Not good if you really like the slide out keyboard. What do others think?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

it hasnt been a huge problem on the palm phones. like he said if you are nervous and always banging it. anyone who repairs phones would give the same advice but are there alot of people here that experience the issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast