Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerryg50
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default stolen phone and blackberry protect

i had a 9810 that was stolen from my home, and i was tracking using the blackberry protect website. when i got a fix i went to the police station to make a report an tried to get assistance(which was not provided). when i reached back home i tried to track the phone again but now i am getting a stale location.

i want to if the app will still work if the person who has the phone wipes the phone or changes the network?

i was running os7.1 with protect updated to the latest version for that os.
    CrackBerry Addict

If it reads "Stale Location", that means the battery is dead or the phone is off. I have two BB's and have tested a few features. BB Protect will work if the phone is on and it doesn't matter if your sim card in or not.

I'm not sure about phone wipes tho. I sure hope you had it locked with a PW.

Best of luck to ya.
    Please sign this petition to bring Netflix to BlackBerry. Help your BlackBerry brothers and sisters.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...berry-devices#
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    PIN
    280b39e0

It won't after a wipe, because your black berry ID is no longer set up on that device, you can add a password to protect your berry from BB protect. Desk top manager and bbsak will not wipe a berry with out the password.

Sent from my 9810 using Tapatalk
    Z10 10.2.2.1531
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by jmb12177 View Post
    It won't after a wipe, because your black berry ID is no longer set up on that device, you can add a password to protect your berry from BB protect. Desk top manager and bbsak will not wipe a berry with out the password.

Sent from my 9810 using Tapatalk
    Even with a password you can still wipe a Blackberry. You simply have to enter the password incorrectly 10 (or whatever the number was set to) type "blackberry" and the phone will wipe.

In the case of a stolen BlackBerry surely the thief will remove the SIM card (if it's GSM) fairly quickly.

Thus the phone has no SIM card, is wiped and powered off.

There's now no way to track this phone via BlackBerry Protect.

It can still be tracked via the IMEI but only the carrier can do that. Even then, if the thief unlocks the phone and sells it on (very likely) it may be on a different carrier anywhere in the world.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
    Even with a password you can still wipe a Blackberry. You simply have to enter the password incorrectly 10 (or whatever the number was set to) type "blackberry" and the phone will wipe.

In the case of a stolen BlackBerry surely the thief will remove the SIM card (if it's GSM) fairly quickly.

Thus the phone has no SIM card, is wiped and powered off.

There's now no way to track this phone via BlackBerry Protect.

It can still be tracked via the IMEI but only the carrier can do that. Even then, if the thief unlocks the phone and sells it on (very likely) it may be on a different carrier anywhere in the world.
    so what your saying in layman terms is im screwed i just bought that phone
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by Frazberry View Post
    so what your saying in layman terms is im screwed i just bought that phone
    I hate telling people that they can;t locate their phones but this time, I am afraid that it is true.

You might be able to get your carrier to try and trace the phone by its IMEI number. Just say the letters, they will understand. It can be done, the question is, will they help you? I hope so.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask for it.

Poster above is correct. Contact your carrier, most will have a menu option where you can report a lost or stolen phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: stolen phone and blackberry protect

I installed Blackberry Protect on both a 9800 and a 9900.

If the battery is removed there is no possible way for BB Protect to locate the phone, display any message, or do anything at all. If the phone is in a dead spot area from a telephone company cell repeater there is no way to commmunicate with the phone.

From what I've read and have been told, if the wrong password has been entered more times than what its error count was set to (10 is the default), the phone would be wiped.

If the phone was stolen, when you report it the phone company will lock out the PIN and the IMEI numbers. In the area where I live these numbers for security are shared by the phone companies. The phone would be useless at that point. Considering the weight of a Blackberry phone it would make a good paperweight...

With my phones the address and phone list, and the data information are critical for me and my business. I have the phones passworded to lock out after fifteen minutes if no activity. I have a habbit of locking the phone every time I put it in its pouch. I never put it down on a table out of site or next to me in any public place.

Some of the big phone services can sell an insurance policy that covers for loss, damage, and extended warranty. This is something to consider in case there is loss or failure of the phone. A Blackberry is an expensive phone to buy when it is not part of a contract plan if it is lost.

Jerry G.
    andy957 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

Default stolen phone and blackberry protect

insurance wont give you a free phone, it will just cost the same as a contract deal as opposed to full non contract price.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

Default Re: stolen phone and blackberry protect

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryg50 View Post

From what I've read and have been told, if the wrong password has been entered more times than what its error count was set to (10 is the default), the phone would be wiped.

With my phones the address and phone list, and the data information are critical for me and my business. I have the phones passworded to lock out after fifteen minutes if no activity. I have a habbit of locking the phone every time I put it in its pouch. I never put it down on a table out of site or next to me in any public place.
    This is true, I tested it when I was installing a new OS and was going to use BBSAK to wipe the phone. I don't recall if it wipes the password too...somehow I remember being surprised that it still had a password.

I'm more paranoid, I have it set to lock after 5 minutes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default bb wipe

just wanna know how accurate is the tracking if it says like 3000m n if i have in a memory card can bb protect wipe it also with the phone?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi, if my bb is stolen, and apparently the thief had wiped everything, is there a way i can track the blackberry again after the wipe? Thanks a lot in advanced.
    CrackBerry User

Answer is: Definitely no. Read the posts in this thread!

The "protect" in Blackberry Protect sadly only applies to data previously backed up with it. It is completely useless in tracking stolen phones unless, of course, the thief is stooge enough to continue using the stolen SIM.
    Last edited by Postfuhramt; 02-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    BB Torch 9810 (7.1.0.861)
    BB Bold 9000 (5.0.0.1096)
    BB Playbook 64 GB (2.1.0.1526)