Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
  • 2 Post By go1ndr
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Standby battery drain rate per hour?

Hey can you please share your average battery drain rate per hour when your phone is just sitting there, screen off with full bars. I am looking to compare with mine. Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

If its completely idle, with no emails or texts coming in, then the drain is 0% or maybe .50% per hour. During a normal day's use, it is around 3% to 5% depending on what is being used. I send and receive maybe 100 + emails and text strings a day so that is fairly heavy usage. I just checked now (at office) and depending on the hour, mine as averaged between 1% and 4% all day. It really depends on what you do with your device. If you are streaming videos or surfing the net all day, then the usage will be higher. There is really no average as everyone is different.
    Now, if you see that it is normally around 3% during the day and then all of a sudden it jumps to 10%, there is most likley an app that is draining it. Then you have to go App searching on your phone to see what's draining it!
    7.1 OS builds have a battery analyzer built in and you can download for free, ADV_OS and LED (go to app world) and put this app on your phone. It is the single best application on AppWorld and it monitors your battery by the hour and gives you reports. It also has some 16 different functions that it can do for you, which eliminates many other applications--like screen shots and popups , for instance. Download it and you'll be glad you did. Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

On idle I get about 3-4%, on normal use about 7-8%.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I get about 2-4% on idle. About 8-12% if I browse and/or listen to MP3s. I am using 7.1.0.694 (latest AT&T official) on AT&T.
    Phones: Motorola StarTAC > Motorola V180 > Palm Treo 680 > BlackBerry Bold 9000 > BlackBerry Bold 9700 > BlackBerry Torch 9810 > BlackBerry Z10

Tablets: Playbook 16 GB WiFi only > Nexus 32 GB WiFi + HSPA+
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

My battery life is actually a lot better with the Mobilicity .746 build. I had the Cincinnati Bell .746 build on also after .694, but then switched to Mobilicity to see if there was any difference between the two .746 builds. There is one big difference that I like best about the Mobilicity .746 build iand that is, that there is virtually no hourglass and no lagging!!!
    Also the browser is faster and apps like pdf's and word docs open much quicker. Also on this build, I noticed that when opening a pdf, it gives me two (2) choices for viewing-doc to go or basic viewer. Never saw that on any other build--and surprised no one has mentioned it before. Back to battery life, I unplug my phone from the charger around 6am each morning and when I plug it in around 11pm at night, it usually has about 45% remaining. Highly suggest you upgrade ljfong and anyone else that wants better battery life.
    CrackBerry User

Why mine is 10.83 /hr
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Mine idles between 0-1% and usage gives around 5-6. I'm on wifi the full day. Don't have BIS
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wife's 9810 is still on 7.1.0.284, and she refuses to upgrade to later versions, as very happy with battery life and phone performance. On standby the phone is ~1%/h, when in use it vary based on conditions, but usually is ~3-6%/h
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Standby battery drain rate per hour

So the question is why can some idle at 0% an hour (which I find a lil hard to believe) while others idle at 4%. And not because wifi/3g/sms/emails/apps running. I'm talkin plain old idling
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    So the question is why can some idle at 0% an hour (which I find a lil hard to believe) while others idle at 4%. And not because wifi/3g/sms/emails/apps running. I'm talkin plain old idling
    Good question and I don't have the answer. What I can tell you, is that Adv_OS and LED tells me that my phone often idles at 0% during the night while charging but depending on how many emails/texts, etc come in on some nights, it may change to 2 or 3%. Example is that at 1am last night, the report shows 0% but at 2pm, it shows 3% and the only thing that is different is the number of emails coming in. Many of our companies that we deal with send auto emails out during the early morning. In this case it was only 4 or 5 but one had a huge attachment so that may have been the reason. That said, I forgot to plug my phone in last night and this morning when I woke up, it still had 36% batter remaining and the average drain rate at that time was 2% due to emails coming in.Regardless, I think it depends on what is running at any given time.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    Its because I don't have BIS. I have H+ no doubt, but that's only for voice and sms, otherwise I'm on wifi

In the picture, it gives you the 0% an hour proof

Its just that my phone was in my pocket untouched in a good network region while I was doing my chemistry practicals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standby battery drain rate per hour?-munch_2013_02_13_092950.jpg  
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

Standby battery drain rate per hour?-battery-drain-rate-_02_13__16_.jpg

Ok, here is my drain rate on my battery log using Adv_OS and LED application this morning. I left it on the charger a little longer than usual this morning as I didn't need it so that is why the later times like 7-8am. Still you can see that there is zero (0) drain rate when idle. The zero is the actual drain rate at that time frame and the ADR is the average drain rate. The 100 in these logs is the remaining battery power--ie-just charged so it's 100%. The temp is73Fin the 5am log. If your aren't using Adv_OS and LED, I highly recommend you put it on your phone (free from app world) and use it. It does the job of probably close to 15 apps that you would normally have to install manually and seperately. Hope this helps
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I keep a second charger at work for the often-needed recharge, despite having my phone charging every night when I sleep.

OS 7.1.0.746
    Wifi and bluetooth are always on
    Bluetooth connection via bridge to my Playbook
    Background apps running are the standard five plus WhatsApp only
    Have 1.5hr commute one-way (7:30am and 5:30pm) where I have the phone playing MP3s and sometimes surfing on Playbook

Standby battery drain rate per hour?-s13_02_28__12_19_17.jpg
    Warren, Newmarket, ON

HeatWare
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wtom View Post
    I keep a second charger at work for the often-needed recharge, despite having my phone charging every night when I sleep.

OS 7.1.0.746
    Wifi and bluetooth are always on
    Bluetooth connection via bridge to my Playbook
    Background apps running are the standard five plus WhatsApp only
    Have 1.5hr commute one-way (7:30am and 5:30pm) where I have the phone playing MP3s and sometimes surfing on Playbook

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s13_02_28__12_19_17.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	138525
    Wtom: For bettery battery life--first off--Close the WhatsApp Application and you'll notice a huge drop in battery drain. WhatsApp is a great application but it runs all the time in the background unless you completely exit/close it after use. That alone sucked up my battery life by 10-fold. The other thing I'd do is close your wifi when not using it. When the WiFi is checked or open, it runs constantly behind the scenes looking for WiFi connections even when it's on one. "Bluetooth on" is ok but it is still looking for bluetooth devices to pair with. I'd close it as well when not in use.
    If you click on any of those times on Adv_OS you will get a complete breakdown of what was running and what wasn't and that will help you a lot. Also, download "Application Resource Monitor" if not already on your phone (options>Device>Application Resource Monitor) and set it up to notify you when something is draining the battery--note that it will show the Adv_OS and LED application so check mark it to not notify you about this app as it uses very little battery and is worth the slight drain it pulls from the battery.
    Lastly you can open up your Application Manager (options>device>application Manager) and slide it right or left to see what is running at any given time. Its just a little time consuming but you can locate and delete or control which apps are eating up battery and which aren't.
    You don't say which .746 OS you are running (Cincinnati Bell or Mobilicity) but the Mobilicity build seems to have a little better battery life than the Cinci Bell one does-I have had them both on my phone and like and kept the Mobilicity build. Try these steps and see if any of them help you. Good luck!
    Mecca EL and newcollector like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

This is really not the thread or post for this post but since we were speaking about WhatsApp, I thought it would be prudent to post it here. I was in another forum and saw this article and thought of our conversations on here. Check this out from the news on 1/28/13: WhatsApp violates privacy laws over phone numbers - report | Reuters
    Interesting and just another reason to not use it. Actually scary if you think about the possible consequenses.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Thanks, go1ndr! I am aware of the extra-strain on the battery with leaving wifi and/or bluetooth on but decided to turn them off when not in use as well as completely closing WhatsApp. Unplugged the phone around the same time this morning, did the rest (MP3s while commuting to work, surfing on Playbook while paired to the phone) and it's quite an improvement (screenshot taken approx same time as yesterday's);

Standby battery drain rate per hour?-s13_03_01__12_18_49.jpg

I believe my OS is vendor specific (from Rogers, here in Toronto, Canada area)
    Warren, Newmarket, ON

HeatWare
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

I believe it is 100% due to the drain that WhatsApp puts on a battery when its running non-stop. It is constantly looking for messages, contacts, emails that match contacts, etc and storing them. I took it off for a number of reasons--security included but battery drain the biggest reason. When I questioned their support team, their pat answer was that they were not aware of it using excessive battery and to make sure I turned it off completely when I was finished with it. Duh! There are other apps that do the same thing and my guess is it won't be long before we can us BBM with other platforms like iOS and Android. And, the security with BBM is unbelievable and very little battery usage.