Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Speaker Phone is Muted when playing music

I've actually posted this thread last year when I had the same issue but have never seen any response to it so I'm trying again. I have a 9810 and am currently running 7.1.746 (Mobilicity) on it and AT&T is my provider. It doesn't seen to matter what OS build I have on it though, as the problem is always there.
    Here is the issue: I have about 400 songs on my media card under media sync folder. I normally listen to the music through my Bluetooth Plantronic headset but every once in a while when I don't have the bluetooth on, I may want to listen to a song for some reason and open the file to play the music. The issue is that when I play a song ("Now Playing") I can hear it fine on my handheld speaker but if I change it to "Speakerphone" an icon on the Now Playing button shows the volume bar with a red x on it denoting "mute". When I try and remove it-unmute it, it won't unmute it, but just disapears and there is no change-just silent. As soon as I go to BB menu and click on "Handheld speaker" it plays fine and of course it plays great on the bluetooth.
    I know that there is some way to remove the muting as my wife's 9810 plays music on the speakerphone with no issues. And, the speakerphone on my phone is working fine for calls. I also ran the troubleshooting app on the new BB Divice Analyzer and it plays the tone fine but that only means it works for phone calls. It only mutes when I try to activate the speakerphone when playing music. Any ideas out there would be much, much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 01-29-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correction "volume bar" icon not "Speaker icon"
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Default Re: Speaker Phone is Muted when playing music

go1ndr, when a song is playing, do you try to activate the speakerphone by pressing the menu key and selecting "activate speakerphone"? Also, in the options menu when a song is playing, what are the settings and boxes checked and unchecked?
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.1.1151
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Newcollector, yes I press activate speakerphone and a speaker icon pops up with a red x over and no sound. All I have checked are turn off backlighting and display close caption. I tried unchecking everything but it makes no difference.
    Last edited by go1ndr; 01-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Newcollector, yes I press activate speakerphone and a speaker icon pops up with a red x over and no sound. All I have checked are turn off backlighting and display close caption. I tried unchecking everything but it makes no difference.
    Bump!
    Anyone out there that may have an idea about this issue. I actually tried to take a screen shot of the icon (volume bar with red x on it) that appears when I try and to activate the speaker phone but not enough time. There has to be a reason this is happening on my phone, and why it isn't happening to other phones. It has been an issue ever since I got the 9810 when it first came out. I've had the orginial OS on it that it came with, and then upgraded to maybe 6 newer OS's over time as they came out. I am currently running 7.1.746 (Mobilcitiy) on my phone and all else is working great. Remember when replying that I have no issues with the bluetooth headsets I use (2-jabra and plantronics and MBZ Car bluetooth) and I have no issue with the hand held speaker (phone) ONLY when I try to play music on the SPEAKERPHONE!
    The icon that pops up is the usual icon that shows the volume bar but it has a Red X on the left hand side of it, that stays on it for about 5 seconds (not enough time for a screen shot) and then disapears--but there is no sound. So once again, if anyone has experienced this before or knows of a fix, I would really be appreciative!
    Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 01-29-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Correction Volume Bar icon not Speaker icon
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

What about the speaker while on the phone call ? Does it work with calls ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by PiotrJot View Post
    What about the speaker while on the phone call ? Does it work with calls ?
    Yes, it works fine with phone calls. Only mutes on music playback.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

So this must mean that I am the only one that has this issue in the whole CB world--LOL! If anyone sees this befoe it's buried deep in the archives of you know where and can give me any help as to how to correct this speaker issue, it would be so appreciated. Have a great weekend!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Unlock Blackberry Torch
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Techmajesty1 View Post
    Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Unlock Blackberry Torch
    Hey Techmajesty-Thanks-but, like most others on here, I've done about 4000 reboot battery pulls. A battery pull is the same as a computer hard reboot in that it completely resets the phone. You are correct that a battery pull is a cure for most minor problems, but this issue is beyond that and may be a hardware glitch. If no one has seen a fix for it, then I'll just forget about it as everything else runs smoothly. Thanks for replying.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

Sorry to say this, but I don't have this speaker problem either. Got the latest .825 installed.
    But don't worry, because I am the only one where the AT&T Address Book Sync isn't working anymore.
    Nobody else seems to complain about that either.
    So we're brothers in arms.
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (02-04-2013) 
    go1ndr likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    Sorry to say this, but I don't have this speaker problem either. Got the latest .825 installed.
    But don't worry, because I am the only one where the AT&T Address Book Sync isn't working anymore.
    Nobody else seems to complain about that either.
    So we're brothers in arms.
    Hey Ralfyguy! LOL-kind of makes me feel a little better. Regarding your AT&T Address book, are you using MS Outlook as your email client and if so, can you convert your addresses in the AT&T address book to Outlook contacts. I use Outlook and when setting up BB, the first question it asks is if you are going to sync with Outlook. Then somewhere in there it asks if you are using Outlook Contacts or AT&T (I'm on AT&T also). It's been a long time and I don't remember where it is but I know they can be converted. I'll search around to see if I can find it and get back to you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

Default Speaker Phone is Muted when playing music

I never have seen a prompt for Outlook whjen I set up my BB. When does this prompt come up? Can I still get that prompt now?
    Is your wireless sync working? I may have to wipe my 9810 and start from scratch.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I never have seen a prompt for Outlook whjen I set up my BB. When does this prompt come up? Can I still get that prompt now?
    Is your wireless sync working? I may have to wipe my 9810 and start from scratch.
    Hey-the prompt was when I first set up my email. I haven't seen or thought about since then, until your post. It was on the BBDM, when first setting it up. It asks if you will be syncing with Outlook or Address book. I naturally said outlook. Let me look around a little and I'll get back to you on it as soon as I know more.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Hey-the prompt was when I first set up my email. I haven't seen or thought about since then, until your post. It was on the BBDM, when first setting it up. It asks if you will be syncing with Outlook or Address book. I naturally said outlook. Let me look around a little and I'll get back to you on it as soon as I know more.
    This is what I found on the help screen of Desktop Manager. I think this is how you do it, but not sure. Check it out and let me know so I can file for later replies if needed. Thanks and good luck!

Home » Help » Synchronization » Set up organizer data synchronization
    Set up organizer data synchronization

1. Connect your BlackBerry® smartphone to your computer.
    2. In the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Organizer > Configure settings.
    3. In the Intellisync setup window, select the check box beside an organizer application.
    4. Click Setup.
    5. In the Available desktop applications list, click the organizer application on your computer.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Select the synchronization directions you want for the data in your organizer application.
    8. Click Next > Finish.
    9. To set up synchronization for another organizer application, repeat steps 3 to 8.

Synchronize your organizer data
    Before you begin: To perform this task, you must first set up organizer data synchronization. Also, on your BlackBerry® smartphone, wireless synchronization must be turned off for each type of organizer data that you want to synchronize.

1. Connect your smartphone to your computer.
    2. In the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Organizer.
    3. Review the organizer applications and settings that are selected for synchronization and, if necessary, make changes.
    4. Click Sync.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

This is what I found on the help screen of Desktop Manager. I think this is how you do it, but not sure. Check it out and let me know so I can file for later replies if needed. Thanks and good luck!

Home » Help » Synchronization » Set up organizer data synchronization
    Set up organizer data synchronization

1. Connect your BlackBerry® smartphone to your computer.
    2. In the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Organizer > Configure settings.
    3. In the Intellisync setup window, select the check box beside an organizer application.
    4. Click Setup.
    5. In the Available desktop applications list, click the organizer application on your computer.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Select the synchronization directions you want for the data in your organizer application.
    8. Click Next > Finish.
    9. To set up synchronization for another organizer application, repeat steps 3 to 8.

Synchronize your organizer data
    Before you begin: To perform this task, you must first set up organizer data synchronization. Also, on your BlackBerry® smartphone, wireless synchronization must be turned off for each type of organizer data that you want to synchronize.

1. Connect your smartphone to your computer.
    2. In the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Organizer.
    3. Review the organizer applications and settings that are selected for synchronization and, if necessary, make changes.
    4. Click Sync.
    Thanks for the info. But do you think that this has anything to do with the non functional wireless sync? Does yours work?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Thanks for the info. But do you think that this has anything to do with the non functional wireless sync? Does yours work?
    I've never used the wireless sync as I am always near my computer and sync when I back up via USB cable nightly--and very honestly, I have no idea how to set it up or use it. I'm from the old school that mandates that if you have a USB cable--use it! LOL. I don't see why wireless sync wouldn't work for you if you have wireless availability. Did you set it up on DM/phone to sync wirelessly and if so, how (for future reference)?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

There is actually nothing to set up really. You open your contacts, click on options, click on AT&T Address Book and it starts running. Confirm and watch all your contacts getting backed up to the server.
    From now on everytime you make changes to contacts, add or delete any, it will save every change automatically.
    It backs up every little detail. And when you switch to a new phone, it will put everything on your new phone.
    If you're on AT&T, you don't need to worry how to get all your contacts on the new Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

There is actually nothing to set up really. You open your contacts, click on options, click on AT&T Address Book and it starts running. Confirm and watch all your contacts getting backed up to the server.
    From now on everytime you make changes to contacts, add or delete any, it will save every change automatically.
    It backs up every little detail. And when you switch to a new phone, it will put everything on your new phone.
    If you're on AT&T, you don't need to worry how to get all your contacts on the new Z10
    Yeah, but I don't use AT&T Address book, I use Outlook 2007 Contacts. That is one of the options when setting up the email account. I am with AT&T but this sounds like it is a cloud based program and I use the back up locally. Chages occur every time I sync via USB cable and that even syncs with a Google calendar I have for my Kindle Fire and their address book. I use exclusively Outlook 2007 for my email manager and have it on all of my devices. BB-9810 syncs with Outlook but fyi, BB 10 does not! Scary and perhaps a deal breaker for me upgrading to the BB10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

Well I heard nobidy else complain about it, so it must be.my 9810. I was on the phone with highest level tech support and they could not fix it. Guy said that he is almost sure it's not my phone, because thd error it throws is HTTP 504. But everything else works. He said perhaps a wipe would do the trick, but said he is hesitant to have me do that. So he blamed it on their server, although he couldn't find anything wrong with that either.
    In a month or so I will get a Z10, so I'm not sure if I wanna mess with it anymore.
    I want a Z10 mainly because of it's browser. Browser is my #1 app. That's what matters to me most.
    I do a bunch of banking and bills on my phone and I hate the stupid mobile pages. I want the FULL page on my phone, and the Z10 does just that.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Do a wipe and put Mobilicity '746 on it-easy to install and clean and browser is great and fast.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

So I did a security wipe but it still doesn't work. Now trying a reinstall. Weird thing after the security wipe was that I didn't get a prompt to enter my BlackBerry ID. I should have...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

Update: Wiped with BBSAK, set up from scratch - no dice.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Update: Wiped with BBSAK, set up from scratch - no dice.
    Just for the heck of it, when you have the time, why don't you delete the AT&T .694 (an any other OS's you have on your PC) using your PC Control Panel (programs and features on W7). Then run vendelet to clear off any and all vendor.xml files--Then download the .746 from Mobilcity or the .794 OS and install it using AppLoader not BBDM. If you think you need to wipe it again, go for it, but don't reload with BBASK only use BBASK to wipe the phone. I really think it has to do with the AT&T OS. When I had it on my phone, I had a ton of little mickey mouse problems and man did it ever lag/hourglass me to death. You know Ralfyguy, I don't know what is causing it but if everything else is working well on the phone, it has to be in the software/cods. Maybe Mecca if he sees this post can give you a better choice, but this is what I'd do if it were me. Good luck buddy and keep us posted.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,103 Global Posts

Thanks again for the tip. I actually ran the stock .694 before it stopped working. It stopped working on January 14th for no apparent reason. A week later I uodated to the latest .825 and it didn't help. I upgraded it with DM.
    I like .825 much better, because it has some more functions I like. For example parental controls, which I only use to restrict unknown calls that are not in the contact list. Works pretty good as a call blocker.
    Then I gave it another week and I called Tech Support and I was on the phone with them for over an hour and a half.
    The guy really tried, but him and a coworker changed a bunch of things around, but it wouldn't work.
    So he came to the conclusion that it must be their server since he said they were changing equipment and providers.
    He also said that perhaps a wipe would do the trick, but he said he wouldn't want me to have to go through that.
    So he left the ticket open and he wants to contact me again once their transition is finished.
    Anyways, curious as I am, I gave wiping a shot. This weekend I ran a security wipe on the phone, but the left all the apps on there. As soon as the phone was back on, first thing I tried was the Address Book sync. Still not working.
    So before I went any further, I just did it the hard way and wiped the phone out completely with BBSAK.
    Waited for the 507 error and started DM and reinstalled .825 from scratch.
    As soon as tye phone came back, tried the Address Book sync and again no dice.
    So I just gave up and finished setting everything up again and reinstalling all apps.
    Now today at work I found out something interesting: One of my coworkers has one of those HTC Androids and I told him about the issue last week. He is on AT&T as well. But he said he don't use the Address Book sync, in fact he didn't know it exists.
    So today he came and told me that he tried to set it up and it told him it failed as well!
    So I came to the conclusion that it isn't my phone then, it's them!
    I also noticed since a few weeks that a lot of people on AT&T in this town, including me, are complaining about the inconsistent and at times abyssmal data speeds on this so called H+ around here.
    Many people complain about it and actually are getting angry about it.
    It IS pretty bad at times, especially in the afternoon. I heard rumors that they are working on LTE. But does that really take weeks?
    Anyway, I do believe it is all related, and my coworker has the same issue, so I wasted countless hours to find the error.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

WOW! Amazing! There thread is so long, I forget--are you using Outlook as your email manager. I do and I'm on AT&T but using .746 and I've never had a problem syncing my contacts or calendar from Outlook to my 9810 and back-on this or any other OS. Maybe its something in your config data that is causing it. Maybe one of the guys that knows a lot about this will jump on here and help. It would be nice to know a fix if it happens to others. I plan on keeping my 9810 for a while as I don't have an upgrade until April or May and it works great. I'll pm one of my buddies on here to see if he has any ideas. He is a top hybrid builder and may know the answer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast