Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrackberryPB
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Solution to virtual keyboard/screen orientation issue for some users

Hey everyone, have been a crackberry lurker for ages but felt the need to finally subscribe and make a post. I came across a solution this morning for an issue some are having with the virtual keyboard not displaying and/or the screen orientation remaining in portrait mode.

To diagnose the issue please hide in a dark room and get the device to light up. Next, close the slider and attempt to peer through to where the physical keyboard is. What you are looking for is the slight illumination of the keys on the physical keyboard.

If you find that the keyboard is still illuminated with the slider closed then you are suffering from the same issue I am. At this point, navigate to a text or email that would normally allow the use of the virtual keyboard. You will notice that the bottom left button on the touch screen (for displaying the virtual keyboard) is grayed out. Try pressing rather firmly on it anyways and you should find that the keyboard will then display (while allowing the device to change screen orientation).

My phone has been dropped slightly a couple times but nothing major. Im curious to see if there are users with this issue that have not dropped their phones.... Curious if i can get the device replaced under warranty even with signs of being dropped.

Hope this helps some!
    Thanked by 2:
    HighwayBob (11-07-2011),  kraski (07-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Mine has the same issue and was never dropped.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by alpineaddiction View Post
    Try pressing rather firmly on it anyways and you should find that the keyboard will then display (while allowing the device to change screen orientation).
    I just tried this - you can press on the grayed out icon all day and nothing happens. Seems as though pressing the slider and display portion of the phone together does fix the problem.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2337FDBA

Yep, it's the exact same problem I'm having and I'm am pretty certain that the problem is with the hardware. I've tried various versions but there is no difference in the behavior. Just yesterday I discovered that pressing firmly on the keyboard icon does correct the problem if you press it hard enough times, but I'm pretty sure that pressing firmly is just putting the slider into a happy place where the phone knowsthat the slider is closed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    bintaro_gw (11-12-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

I posted this in anther thread on the forums here and though it might help you out. My wife was having this problem on her's as well. I checked all the settings and nothing was wrong on that front so I did a battery pull. Her Torch is in a hard rubber case so I had to remove that in order to do the battery pull. When the boot process was finished the keyboard was working again but with out the case. What was happening was that the case was not allowing the slider mechanism to close all the way and thus not ever allowing the virtual keyboard to show up. Not sure if any of you have a case on your's or not but I thought it might help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Am having this problem too, mine hasn't dropped and it started the 2 weeks after i bought d phone. I thought it was the casing i got and removed it, but it worked for a month and has started that problem, so now..i never use the physical keyboard. As long as yu don't open the physical keyboard the virtual keyboard would always work. If i mistakingly open the physical keyboard, i have to lock the phone with the lock code and wait for about 5 mins and then the virtual keyboard just pops up and starts working again without a reboot.

Am sure the problem is in the design of the hardware on Torch2.

I would try 'alpineaddiction' s method and get back to this thread.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB6548C

I have the same issue with the orientation not wanting to change.

I assumed it was the actual accelerometer (sp?) inside the phone not working.

In my case it doesn't appear to be this issue though.

If i hold my phone on its side in a field where the keyboard is usable, then open and close the slider the keyboard icon goes from gray to white yet the orientation is still stuck in portrait.
    Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.3253 + 16GB PlayBook 2.1.0.1917
    DropBox: https://db.tt/sJ8qDim <-- sign up here and get bonus space.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by todbanner View Post
    I have the same issue with the orientation not wanting to change.

I assumed it was the actual accelerometer (sp?) inside the phone not working.

In my case it doesn't appear to be this issue though.

If i hold my phone on its side in a field where the keyboard is usable, then open and close the slider the keyboard icon goes from gray to white yet the orientation is still stuck in portrait.
    Taking the battery out fixed the problem.
    Last edited by KeNNethX; 01-31-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: change
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by alpineaddiction View Post
    If you find that the keyboard is still illuminated with the slider closed then you are suffering from the same issue I am. At this point, navigate to a text or email that would normally allow the use of the virtual keyboard. You will notice that the bottom left button on the touch screen (for displaying the virtual keyboard) is grayed out. Try pressing rather firmly on it anyways and you should find that the keyboard will then display (while allowing the device to change screen orientation).
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but I was looking for a solution to the same issue. I tried this once and it worked. Tried it again and it did nothing. Another time, it worked, again. Very odd. This last time, it seemed to stick (we'll see). The previous time, it lasted till I opened another app.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    406 Global Posts
    PIN
    up

I have the same problem with mine, my fix is a touch simpler. I slip my phone into my blackberry case (one of the GOOD leather ones from my old Storm 9350) for a few seconds, pull it out, and I'm good to go. It's hit and miss, sometimes it works fine to rotate after closing the slider, sometimes it doesn't want to rotate after closing the slider. I'm pretty sure mine is because the phone was dropped, but essentially the device isn't registering the sliding mechanism as closed, causing it to remain in vertical orientation only and no on-screen keyboard.

I think my fix is easier than pretty much anything else here at the moment, as it works every single time and takes quite literally seconds... and since my phone is usually in that little holster anyways... but I figured I'd give the other fix a try and it does work, it did bring up the on-screen keyboard for me in this particular case.

So two methods that will work, or at least work for me: holser the device, or press and hold that greyed out keyboard button.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by jonno_atamaniuk View Post
    I have the same problem with mine, my fix is a touch simpler. I slip my phone into my blackberry case (one of the GOOD leather ones from my old Storm 9350) for a few seconds, pull it out, and I'm good to go. It's hit and miss, sometimes it works fine to rotate after closing the slider, sometimes it doesn't want to rotate after closing the slider. I'm pretty sure mine is because the phone was dropped, but essentially the device isn't registering the sliding mechanism as closed, causing it to remain in vertical orientation only and no on-screen keyboard.

I think my fix is easier than pretty much anything else here at the moment, as it works every single time and takes quite literally seconds... and since my phone is usually in that little holster anyways... but I figured I'd give the other fix a try and it does work, it did bring up the on-screen keyboard for me in this particular case.

So two methods that will work, or at least work for me: holser the device, or press and hold that greyed out keyboard button.
    The other one, as I mentioned, is hit & miss. It also only lasts till the next time you slide out the keyboard. Then you have to repeat the process.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry User

A search for information about my Torch and its refusal to switch to Landscape mode led me here. Reading through the preceding messages helped a lot, so thanks to all. What I've just been able to demonstrate to myself is:

1) With the slider in (not extended) the phone will switch to landscape or portrait easily.

2) If I have it in landscape and open the slider... it auto-rotates to portrait. I think the logic of that must be that if I have the physical keyboard extended, I must be planning to use that keyboard... and the only way is to have it in portrait.

3) I have an Otterbox case on my phone and so when I close the slider portion, the ability to flip to landscape does not immediately return. I have to give a light press to the lip of the slider (near the controls). If I rock it there once or twice, then it happily allows flipping to landscape.

Hope this helps someone else too...! Mystery solved for me.
    andy957 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I did some tinkering with the 9810 over the last several days, and if you put a strong magnet (ceramic, not flexible rubber) near the virtual keyboard icon (often grayed out for me, even with the slide closed) the keyboard icon will enable (turn white). Example: I went to an existing text or email message and hit reply, then place the magnet near the on screen virtual KB icon, ad it turns white (enable) every time. This suggests to me, that the magnetic "switch" is too far from the magnet in the slider (or vice versa).

Anyone taken the screen/slide assembly apart & know what the sensor & magnet look like & how they are mounted?
    AT&T Z10
    Playbook 64
    Tour Easy Recumbent bike
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Has hamilgs suggested

Has hamilgs suggested In order of solving this problem you must change the magnet situate on the slide mechanism! I couldnít find any other solution, only this work for me! And Iím sure it will work for other whit the same problem ... The phone must be dismount! If you arenít confident in doing it don't! otherwise you will easily end up with a broken digitizer!! The virtual keyboard and screen doesnít work because the phone think that hi is open, (slide up)Ö.The magnet for same reason has become demagnetized and it doesnít detect when the phone is close, thatís the reason why it doesnít rotate and the keyboard doesnít show up

Hope my English is understandable
    CrackBerry User

I'm thinking of taping a small magnet to the outer case of the phone, near the location of the virtual key board icon, and see if that changes the way the virtual keyboard works.
    AT&T Z10
    Playbook 64
    Tour Easy Recumbent bike
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    PIN
    281FC227

One solution that worked on my previous 9810 was that you have to close the slider portion a litter harder and everything is back to normal for orientation and keyboard. Accelerometer is not sensing the closure of the slider, thus no virtual keyboard or landscape. Another test you can do to verify that this is the case is to try and calibrate the compass. If the accelerometer is stuck it won't calibrate. That's why a quick open of the slider and a firm closure of slider can make it work again. Never tried the magnet thing though.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks a lot, had that problem just today, did exactly as you instructed and it works. Gentle press on the greyed keyboard icon Will the problem return though?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default It works

Just tried this as mine hates horizontal and whammo - horizontal.
    Product quality and BB support - Super Poor!
    Had a Pet Rock and now I've got a Play Brick.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default virtual keyboard issues

My 9800 was replaced by ATT insurance last week. After a year of operating great it just died. I had to pay a $200 deductible, but they sent me a 9810. (Refurbished?) The virtual keyboard/landscape mode only.worked a few times. I read here that you have to push down on the greyed out keyboard icon really hard. It worked for me! I don't know if it will keep working though so I don't trust it. I happen to like my BB and don't want to give it up. But this is annoying!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had the same problem with the screen stuck in portrait mode (thankfully). I tried all the suggested remedies with no success. Finally this is what I did to SOLVE the problem. Holding the phone face up, I gave a few vigourous twists of my arm. This must have freed up a stuck accelerometer, and bingo! it started working normally. Try it out.