Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Restore 3rd Party Apps Settings after Upgrade

I know this question has been asked over the years, with no firm answer.

I have just upgraded my 9810 to the latest OS7.1 build. when I upgrade, I always back up my phone, follow the instructions as previously posted using Loader (remove Vendor,xml, etc), etc. I have never had any problems upgrading. When I re-start, all of my 3rd Party apps work, however the settings are gone. For some apps this means I have to re-enter the registration codes, whilst in others it means starting from the beginning (my Angry Pigs games always go back to the start).

I have tried using the "Switch Devices" option in BB Desktop Software - read information from the phone and then save the folder with the .cod files and the .alx file for later installation. This does not restore 3rd Party App settings. I have tried upgrading the OS using both Loader.exe and the BB Desktop Software - both the same.

I have looked at my BB Desktop Software backup to see if the data is there - nothing stands out (unless the info is part of the Trusted Key Stores, or the Handheld Key Stores).

The only thing I have not done is upgrade using BB Desktop Software, and electing not to wipe the handseet before upgrading. (Using Loader.exe this option is greyed out, and the handset is always wiped.) I have seen people suggesting BBSAK - I have not tried this, would it work?

Any solutions?

Thanks. TMOC.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,510 Global Posts

Probably a dumb question and forgive me if this sounds any other way than just inquiring--but have you gone to your AppWorld/MyWorld file and then clicked on "Uninstalled" to see if they are there.
    Someone told me this long ago and it’s so simple and makes sense once you hear it or do it, but we don't always remember to look there. That's where all of mine were, in every upgrade for 7.1 and before that I've done. Again if this is something you have done forgive my post. Good luck!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks go1ndr.
    I had not done this, however the problem is not the apps - they are always restored and functioning correctly. I do seem some of my apps in the uninstalled section, however these are also installed. I tried a reinstall on one of the Angry Pigs apps, but still the same.
    Regards. TMOC.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,510 Global Posts

Ok--That sucks! BBSAK is an amazing tool and does a lot of cool stuff, but not sure it would help you with this. When you say the "settings" are missing, do you mean the permission settings? Have you gone to Options/Device/Application Management> App name--and click on each app to change permissions already? (Again-just going through the steps and not implying that don't know that-lol)
    One last idea--you didn't say what OS version you upgraded FROM to the current 7.1.xxx? If you were upgrading from 7.0, there are some apps that don't work with 7.1 that did with 7.0. Also, if you use BB Protect, you could try backing up from that program. Other than that, I am of no help-sorry. Someone on here will know what to do though-these guys always come through with the answer if you give it a few days. Good luck and keep up posted.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by tmoc View Post
    Thanks go1ndr.
    I had not done this, however the problem is not the apps - they are always restored and functioning correctly. I do seem some of my apps in the uninstalled section, however these are also installed. I tried a reinstall on one of the Angry Pigs apps, but still the same.
    Regards. TMOC.
    Here's my suggestion for the future. Before you wipe the phone, do a backup with DM. That seems to get app settings, even for 3rd party stuff. Then do an app backup with BBSAK. Then do your wipe, OS install, then DM settings restore. This last time, BBSAK wouldn't do a restore of its latest backup. But I found that I could copy the backup over to the appropriate folder in BBHTools, which would not only restore, but also allow me to selectively restore, so I could restore just the stuff I'd gotten from MobiHand, betazone, and the latest AppWorld, too. Those all required registration codes entered, but settings came back, once that was done. You shouldn't need to do registration codes for most of the reinstalls from AppWorld, unles it's part of the reinstall process, where copy and paste is also part of the reinstall. The only exception seems to be BeWeather, which always seems to need registration and settings after OS install.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks kraski and go1ndr. the OS upgrades have been from OS7.1 to later builds of OS7.1. I'll look at using both DM and BBSAK for the next upgrade and see how that goes.
    Regards. TMOC.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by tmoc View Post
    Thanks kraski and go1ndr. the OS upgrades have been from OS7.1 to later builds of OS7.1. I'll look at using both DM and BBSAK for the next upgrade and see how that goes.
    Regards. TMOC.
    Grab and install BBHTool, too. It's one of those things that I haven't used much, if at all, before the last OS downgrade, when BBSAK wouldn't restore. But I was glad it was there instead of having to figure out what else to try, maybe waiting for an answer here, then going to find it.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com