Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default PIN is locked to Rogers?

So I bought an unlocked Rogers 9810 off eBay, new in condition and tried to activate it on my Virgin Mobile account. First thing I noticed when I turned on the phone was that it got a message saying it was registered on the Rogers network. Tried registering with my carrier sim in the hrt menu. It says message sent but nothing happens. I'm thinking the PIN is still locked to Rogers because of the registration message I get when I turn my phone back on after a wipe. Does that sound possible or do unlocked phones come up with this message even if their pin has been released by the original carrier.

Just wondering. I'm going to call Rogers tomorrow anyway to see if it is registered, or worst case scenario, blocked.

Also, if it's not blocked and I can't get it released, would another Rogers user be able to use the pin with their sim? If it won't work on my carrier, I'll just give it to my sister in law who's on Rogers.

Sorry, that was long winded
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,217 Global Posts

Default Re: PIN is locked to Rogers?

A Rogers phone will always say that's registered on Rogers with that message even when unlocked. It's burnt into the system.

And as far as I know, you can't really lock down the PIN's any more in the way you used to. Most PIN "blocking" was actually user error of not removing accounts from BIS but that died when BBID came into effect and BIS started to use that as authentication. It's how you can easily just swap SIM's now and your accounts move quickly, no longer tying the PIN'S up in the BIS database in the way they used to. Rogers never really could block PIN's themselves, actual PIN blocking has to come from RIM directly.

Also, you never really mentioned anything about whether or not the data or anything else was working.. if the message was all you got it's a generic message and you should be able to continue on getting the device on Virgin simply by logging into your BBID and BIS will transfer your accounts for you.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by:
    goaliegirl33 (11-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Sorry. Everything else is working. I just can't get it to send the service books. Copied them with DM from my 9800, some are missing. So no service books, and no bbm.

My mom has the identical phone on bell, which seems to have most of the same settings as VM. Curious if copying her service books would help me out at all.

I contacted the seller, he tried to be helpful. Didn't sound like he knew where to start.

I did log into my BBID on my phone successfully.

Sorry I'm so random with this, I've been searching the internet for three days, should have just started here.
    Last edited by goaliegirl33; 11-03-2012 at 02:36 AM.

With an unlocked phone, any SIM entered should be able to use the BBM PIN without problem. Have you tried a complete wipe and reload of the OS to the latest official release? I just sold a Rogers 9810 to a friend and he had problems until he updated to .714.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.1418 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I've wiped it several times and I've tried updating the OS but get the message I need an active BIS to do so. Been looking for a workaround to that. I have my carriers current OS installed on my computer with the vendor.xml file removed, I'd like to install that one, just can't get it to go.

It will update to a different 7.0 version if I click on the application loader on DM, but that os update doesn't seem to do anything for me.

What kind of wipe/reload process could I get to work when the BIS isn't working on the phone?

Use BBSAK to wipe and then DM to load. May I ask why you're using 7.0 and not 7.1?
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.1418 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247

If I'm not mistake, you'd need BIS for BBM to work anyway.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

7.0 came preloaded on the phone, when I try to update it, it says I need an active BIS account.

I have a BIS account, this is a replacement for my current blackberry.

The PIN will not work. I can't register it with the hrt. I suspect that's why it says I don't have an active BIS as i can't receive the proper service books.

I've been told it's possible my PIN is suspended or deactivated. I'm checking to see if that's the case now. If it is, thankfully I got it from someone who will give me a full refund.

Just kind of sucks cause it was exactly the phone I wanted, color and everything. Really wanted to keep it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

I had this issue. Im from Portugal and got an 9800 from ebay UK, and the pin was registered to O2 network. Im on Vodafone Portugal and first they told me i must call to O2 to "set-free" the pin code. So i called to O2 UK, and they said they cant to anything, that i must contact my portuguese carrier. I called Vodafone-Portugal again and another guy talked with me, and he helped me and it worked. So you must call to you network until a "blackberry/crackberry" person gets the call sometimes the person on the other side is a blackberry-user and it helps much better.
    9630 > 9700 > 9800 + PB > 9810 + PB > 8700 + PB > 9900 + PB > iPhone 4s + iPad 2 > iPhone 5 + iPad 2 > iPhone 5S + iPad 2
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

BlackberryHelp responded to me and let me know my PIN is clear but hasn't been registered with my carrier. My carrier sent me an email telling me that they'd registered my IMEI for me, then suggested I go get a new SIM card. They also told me to get my PIN switched, which I've never heard of before.

So, LOL, I'm confused. Sigh.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

No such thing as PIN switching, afaik. Can you verify something? Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > SIM Card. Then type mepd and check that everything there reads disabled or inactive.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Yes, everything says disabled or inactive.

I went and got a new SIM card today, it didn't change anything.

This is requiring a lot of persistance as I'm having a really hard time finding people in tech support at my carrier that know how a Blackberry works.

I called Rogers and actually got a Blackberry tech on the line. He told me that the phone had never been used on the Rogers network. He said what I need to do is call my carrier and get them to register it on their BIS system. Does this sound right?
    Last edited by goaliegirl33; 11-06-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

So, another update.

After switching my handsets myself on the Virgin Mobile website, then switching back, my old phone finally gave me the option of creating BIS credentials for logging in via computer. I went on there, swapped the SIM card from old phone to new phone, clicked detect new device, and it immediately found the new phone and PIN. So I swapped to the new one.

I then clicked "Send Service Books" it says they're sent but they never reach my phone. So the system can see my phone, but can't talk to it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I have admitted defeat, returning the phone.

I went for lunch, came back, discovered my new SIM card I got this morning has somehow been rendered unusable. In the hour I was gone, Virgin Mobile's website went from listing my phone as compatible with their network, to unsupported. My original SIM still works, nothing I can do will make the new one work though. So I dunno what's going on. My online account interface has changed 3 times this week since I started doing this.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,252 Global Posts

It used to be that only Virgin Mobile phones would work on the Virgin network just like only Wind phones work on the Wind network. I guess they changed that or else the Virgin rep would have told you that, but it really sounds like your service isn't compatible with that unlocked Rogers. My last 4 bb's were all unlocked Rogers phones that I used on the Fido network without a problem.
    ↓ my blog ↓

Posted using the CB10 App on my Z10♥
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Back one last time.

I put my sister in law's Rogers SIM in the phone and it still didn't register, it did however download a few service books, which it will not do with a Virgin Mobile SIM or Bell SIM in it. So, I've come to the conclusion that, like is posted above, this phone will work for basic services with my carrier but not for BIS services. I didn't fully try a swap on my sister in law's phone, so I don't know if the PIN would have become active or not with a little more effort.

The seller called me and told me he would give me a refund, but since there's technically nothing wrong with the phone, I'd be returning a phone that he sold as new, and he'd have to sell it as used. I do see his point, my carrier said it was compatible but didn't say not fully compatible, so it's really not anyone's fault. I should probably sell it myself on eBay. Wondering how I should list it? Should I specify that it is an unlocked Rogers phone and that would be a good enough description to avoid selling it to someone who will have the same issues as I did?

Again, thanks everyone.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,252 Global Posts

Hey if the seller is willing to give you a refund then take his refund. It didn't work for you as it should have. He will be able to sell it again and most likely as new because you really didn't use it. He'll just wipe it and set it back to factory condition.
    ↓ my blog ↓

Posted using the CB10 App on my Z10♥
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

That is SO weird. I have an unlocked Bell phone that I am using on Fido. All it required was to put in the SIM, then it automatically fetched the service books. I was coming from a dumbphone, so I had to get Fido to change my data to BIS. Of course, you shouldn't have that issue, since your "previous" phone is a 9800. If you don't mind a used phone, look at craigslist or kijiji.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

I just had an idea. Maybe there is an existing IT policy that is preventing BIS service books from coming?

Remove IT Policy using BB Desktop Manager
    (lol at "Buyer's Remorse")
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

I can't find an IT policy in the phone. I actually completely wiped it with bsak and loaded 7.1 on it, so that probably would have cleared any previous settings completely.

The guy I bought it from on ebay actually called me yesterday. I'm not going to return it to him as he had a valid point. He sold it to me as new, and now it is not, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the phone as far as I can tell. So, it would be kind of jerky of me to return it for a full refund.

Anyhoo. I'm going to hold onto it for a bit as I'm fairly certain after thinking about it for awhile, the only problem here is finding someone at my carrier that knows how to help me. I think my problem is I don't know what exactly to ask them for to make them understand. Blackberry help told me to get them to register my phone in their system. I've told them this and all they do is add it to my account, which I can actually do myself. It pops up as an unsupported brand and OS but doesn't actually say what the phone is. I think what the Blackberry help guy meant was that they need to register it in their system so their system knows what kind of phone it is.

I wish they had a Blackberry department. When I called Rogers to make sure there was nothing fishy with the phone on their end, they actually had a Blackberry department. It was so refreshing to not have to explain what a PIN was.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by goaliegirl33 View Post
    I can't find an IT policy in the phone. I actually completely wiped it with bsak and loaded 7.1 on it, so that probably would have cleared any previous settings completely.

The guy I bought it from on ebay actually called me yesterday. I'm not going to return it to him as he had a valid point. He sold it to me as new, and now it is not, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the phone as far as I can tell. So, it would be kind of jerky of me to return it for a full refund.

Anyhoo. I'm going to hold onto it for a bit as I'm fairly certain after thinking about it for awhile, the only problem here is finding someone at my carrier that knows how to help me. I think my problem is I don't know what exactly to ask them for to make them understand. Blackberry help told me to get them to register my phone in their system. I've told them this and all they do is add it to my account, which I can actually do myself. It pops up as an unsupported brand and OS but doesn't actually say what the phone is. I think what the Blackberry help guy meant was that they need to register it in their system so their system knows what kind of phone it is.

I wish they had a Blackberry department. When I called Rogers to make sure there was nothing fishy with the phone on their end, they actually had a Blackberry department. It was so refreshing to not have to explain what a PIN was.
    Try this..

Open the "Setup" application, & click on email accounts - login & resend service books(from the menu).

If that won't work, go to your carriers bis website & add the device pin to your bis account

Let me know how that goes

Bis website for Virgin mobile usa? https://virginmobileusa.blackberry.com/

Or canada
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=virginmobile
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by nah.uhh View Post
    Try this..

Open the "Setup" application, & click on email accounts - login & resend service books(from the menu).

If that won't work, go to your carriers bis website & add the device pin to your bis account

Let me know how that goes

Bis website for Virgin mobile usa? https://virginmobileusa.blackberry.com/

Or canada
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=virginmobile
    Thanks, I did try that. It doesn't work sadly.

I finally found someone very helpful at Virgin Mobile who ran the phone through it's paces trying to connect it. He said he can't get it to register with RIM because either their system is down, or the IMEI and PIN do not match. He told me the phone could have been repaired at some point and had the parts of two different phones put in it or one of the two numbers could possibly be blacklisted.

When I checked before they only told me the PIN was free, I never gave them the IMEI. Come to think of it, when I got Rogers to check the phone, they asked me for the IMEI and nothing would pop up, so they ended up checking by PIN.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

I finally found someone very helpful at Virgin Mobile who ran the phone through it's paces trying to connect it. He said he can't get it to register with RIM because either their system is down, or the IMEI and PIN do not match. He told me the phone could have been repaired at some point and had the parts of two different phones put in it or one of the two numbers could possibly be blacklisted.

When I checked before they only told me the PIN was free, I never gave them the IMEI. Come to think of it, when I got Rogers to check the phone, they asked me for the IMEI and nothing would pop up, so they ended up checking by PIN.
    Hmmm...that is making more sense. If the seller claimed the phone was new in condition, then yeah, it probably means a refurbished phone
    CrackBerry Genius

To see the imei, do one lof the following

On the homescreen, hit alt+cap+h OR alt+e>a>c>e
    OR
    go to options>status
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Thanks for the info but the problem has been narrowed down to the point where it's going back.

The Blackberry tech at Virgin Mobile said the phone would only work if I could get in contact with RIM and see if they can get the IMEI on the phone associated with the PIN, that is if the IMEI was not blacklisted. Whatever the case, he could not fix it on his end nor could he guarantee RIM would fix it for me.

I have contacted the seller and am returning the phone, as I explained to him, I bought a new phone, not a new phone requiring massive technical support and inquiries to only potentially work. He has agreed to take it back.