Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree8Likes
  1. JMDBERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Cool OS 7.1 Ratted Me Out to AT&T!

    Well, well,...it was great while it lasted! After I finally get OS 7.1 loaded,...and used it freely for about 2 days, AT&T called my bluff and required me to activated their WiFi/Tethering Plan. That said, I declined and elected to go back to OS 7.0/261 because even though OS 7.1 provide for some nice features,....I lost my Password Keeper,...the camera was hosed up,..even though I install the Repair COD files.

    That said, I will say that I like the WiFi tethering capability for my PC wayyyy better than BT tethering! However, WiFi tethering drinks battery juice a little faster than BT tethering,...however, BT tethering enables longer battery power!

    Now that I'm back on OS 7.0, I will wait for the official AT&T version to be released,...and guess what,...I may even pay for the capability! However,...I will deactivate the service on my Moto Atrix and prolly give it to my kid or sell it.

    Note, there was one last thing I wish that I had done with my WiFi enabled 9810 and that is an internet speed test with my PC, as I did noticed faster webpage loading when tether over the 9810 WiFi vs BT.

    So, for those still on OS 7.1,....have fun and continue to enjoy WiFi tethering!
    JMDBerry
    ...BB Z10; OS 10.3.1.396
    ...Have Blackberry Z10 Will Travel~
    Thanked by:
    Mecca EL (12-23-2011) 
    Mecca EL and purplebuttons like this.
  2. captain_tinker's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Yeah, I had it working for a few days too. I don't need to use it much, but I wanted the functionality there for the few times a year when I would need it. All of a sudden this morning, while setting my kids' old Bold 9000's (I took out the SIM and set it up to be an mp3 player, video, and game thing, like an iPod of sorts) up to have wireless access for when we are in the car, and it said Activation Required. It no longer worked! I'm really ticked off with the amount of time and effort it took me to update to 7.1, and now the entire reason for me to have upgraded has been taken away. I refuse to pay extra for tethering as I will use it so infrequently, it's just those few times when I will need it that I wanted it for! Phooey on AT&T.
  3. musiclover7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I have tethering with ATT through the company I work for, and I cannot get it to work. When I go to turn it on, I get a message: "Activation required.. To use this feature, contact your wireless provider and subscribe to a mobile hotspot data plan." I am not sure what my next step is, or if this feature just won't work with ATT.. I have 5gb Tethering already built into my plan..
  4. NetworkGuy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    615 Posts
    Global Posts
    619 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    I have tethering with ATT through the company I work for, and I cannot get it to work.
    AT&T believes that WiFi tethering is different than regular tethering. The wifi tethering w/ AT&T is more expensive (at least on our corporate plan), than normal tethering.

    I guess they feel putting up to 5 computers on their network with WiFi tethering costs a premium.
  5. ThePoisonBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    7.1 didn't rat you out. The greed at att sniffed you out.
  6. paulinVA's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    JMD - what data plan were/are you on?
  7. uncltom's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Still works for me on ATT. I just have the 2 GB data plan.

    JMD - What did you use for the APN?

    I dont use wifi hotspot that often and use the cingular apn. It's been a month and no activation required message for me but this is on the 9810.
    Sprint 8330 --> 9650 --> 9930 --> At&t 9810
  8. uncltom's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain_tinker View Post
    Yeah, I had it working for a few days too. I don't need to use it much, but I wanted the functionality there for the few times a year when I would need it. All of a sudden this morning, while setting my kids' old Bold 9000's (I took out the SIM and set it up to be an mp3 player, video, and game thing, like an iPod of sorts) up to have wireless access for when we are in the car, and it said Activation Required. It no longer worked! I'm really ticked off with the amount of time and effort it took me to update to 7.1, and now the entire reason for me to have upgraded has been taken away. I refuse to pay extra for tethering as I will use it so infrequently, it's just those few times when I will need it that I wanted it for! Phooey on AT&T.
    Is the entire phone not working or just the hotspot?
    If it is the entire phone then this sounds like a different problem than everyone else had. If so it may be a bit premature to give up on the hotspot.
    Sprint 8330 --> 9650 --> 9930 --> At&t 9810
  9. homer1475's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,213 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Hotspot stopped working for me 2 days ago. Go to start it up and all that comes up is a message about activating it on my acc. Been working fine since the first day that 7.1 leaked. Can't even get to the settings to change the APN and whatnot.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

    If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
  10. musiclover7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Yeah.. I was going to ask.. How does one change the apn settings. I guess I have my answer. I think it may have turned on for me the first day I got it installed only to start failing that night. That would have been 2 days ago. I bet you ATT enforced some kind of security that day, realizing there were all these enterprising people out there who might be starting to get creative with their phones and data plans... harsh. Homer, if you wind up getting it working again, do post and let us know. This was the primary reason I went to all the trouble of upgrading to 7.1. Mine is a corporate plan, and adding to it requires a whole lot of jumping through hoops and salutations... I think I am stuck with what I have unless a work-around is discovered...
  11. Mecca EL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,435 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Yeah.. I was going to ask.. How does one change the apn settings. I guess I have my answer. I think it may have turned on for me the first day I got it installed only to start failing that night. That would have been 2 days ago. I bet you ATT enforced some kind of security that day, realizing there were all these enterprising people out there who might be starting to get creative with their phones and data plans... harsh. Homer, if you wind up getting it working again, do post and let us know. This was the primary reason I went to all the trouble of upgrading to 7.1. Mine is a corporate plan, and adding to it requires a whole lot of jumping through hoops and salutations... I think I am stuck with what I have unless a work-around is discovered...
    To change the apn, go to "options" - "device" - "advanced system settings" - "tcp ip". I lost connection to hotspot the other day, and just found where this was relocated to. Report back if it works for you.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

    WWFD - What Would Far0uk Do?

    Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

    "I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
  12. JMDBERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulinVA View Post
    JMD - what data plan were/are you on?
    PaulinVA, I have the 2GB Data Plan. I have 2 line with AT&T,...both on a 2GB Data Plan.

    Note, The WiFi capbility is nice,...but again, I couldn't get the Password Keeper app to reload. Again, when I click on "Applications" in DTM, the OS and Apps not show. The Password Keeper contains my life,...I can live with the WiFi capability.

    Edit: Many of my Contacts name didn't show,...their numbers were still in my Contacts list,...but names didn't show when they called, etc. So I went back to 7.0/261.
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 12-24-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    JMDBerry
    ...BB Z10; OS 10.3.1.396
    ...Have Blackberry Z10 Will Travel~
  13. JMDBERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uncltom View Post
    Still works for me on ATT. I just have the 2 GB data plan.

    JMD - What did you use for the APN?

    I dont use wifi hotspot that often and use the cingular apn. It's been a month and no activation required message for me but this is on the 9810.
    I used the following settings:

    APN - wap.cingular
    User name - WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password - CINGULAR1
    JMDBerry
    ...BB Z10; OS 10.3.1.396
    ...Have Blackberry Z10 Will Travel~
  14. abedauhajre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default The TCP/Ip not showing on Advance System Settings

    Iwas looking to verify the TCP/IP settings on my device after having the problem with the hotspot and the TCP/IP @ advance system settings is not showing up.

    HAs anyone had the same problem.
  15. paulinVA's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMDBERRY View Post
    PaulinVA, I have the 2GB Data Plan. I have 2 line with AT&T,...both on a 2GB Data Plan.
    Thanks for the answer. Wondering what they would say to someone on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I see on the AT&T website that the hotspot and tethering is part of the $45 4GB plan, only. They see revenue in this, obviously.

    I'm not going to 7.1 yet - I don't really need the hotspot.
  16. Mecca EL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,435 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I just confirmed that ATT are in fact now blocking the hotspot feature. After updating my service plan to include the 4gb tethering, hotspot is back active.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

    WWFD - What Would Far0uk Do?

    Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

    "I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
  17. BERaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    82 Posts
    PIN
    Gotta Ask for it :)
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMDBERRY View Post
    PaulinVA, I have the 2GB Data Plan. I have 2 line with AT&T,...both on a 2GB Data Plan.

    Note, The WiFi capbility is nice,...but again, I couldn't get the Password Keeper app to reload. Again, when I click on "Applications" in DTM, the OS and Apps not show. The Password Keeper contains my life,...I can live with the WiFi capability.

    Edit: Many of my Contacts name didn't show,...their numbers were still in my Contacts list,...but names didn't show when they called, etc. So I went back to 7.0/261.
    When u loaded the OS - did u make sure that the password keeper was checked ? Its working fine for me. No issues with the OS whatsoever. This OS is the best so far, at least for me.
  18. JMDBERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    I didn't see an option to "Check" the box for the Password Keeper when I did the install of OS 7.1. Just the OS! I'm sure there will be an official version,...as AT&T will surely want yo make $20 per month from 9810 owners off of this capability. They are too $money$ hungry to pass it up.

    Np,...gonna wait for the "Official" no problem version.

    Thx for the concern,
    JMDBerry
    ...BB Z10; OS 10.3.1.396
    ...Have Blackberry Z10 Will Travel~
  19. musiclover7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    To change the apn, go to "options" - "device" - "advanced system settings" - "tcp ip". I lost connection to hotspot the other day, and just found where this was relocated to. Report back if it works for you.

    That does not exist for me...
  20. Mecca EL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,435 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    To change the apn, go to "options" - "device" - "advanced system settings" - "tcp ip". I lost connection to hotspot the other day, and just found where this was relocated to. Report back if it works for you.

    That does not exist for me...
    Do a system read and check to make sure net_rim_tcp_options.cod is installed. If not, reinject this - if you know how. If not I can walk you through the process.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

    WWFD - What Would Far0uk Do?

    Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

    "I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
  21. Blacklatino's Avatar

    Posts
    10,737 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,742 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)
    #21  

    Default

    Same here. I'm getting the "need to activate" message, again.
    Old ZEN Saying: "Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind." /Reading.....is truly a "lost art" / Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm. / BB10 OS Archives
  22. albinoyoungn's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMDBERRY View Post
    I used the following settings:

    APN - wap.cingular
    User name - WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password - CINGULAR1
    Switch it to wap@cingular.com for the APN rather then wap@cingulargprs.com, it worked for me!
  23. bravy02's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    122 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulinVA View Post
    Thanks for the answer. Wondering what they would say to someone on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I see on the AT&T website that the hotspot and tethering is part of the $45 4GB plan, only. They see revenue in this, obviously.

    I'm not going to 7.1 yet - I don't really need the hotspot.
    We also have at&t unlimited BB data plans with Bluetooth tethering on our corporate account. Has anyone tried the WiFi hotspot with the old unlimited data plan?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  24. musiclover7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mecca EL View Post
    Do a system read and check to make sure net_rim_tcp_options.cod is installed. If not, reinject this - if you know how. If not I can walk you through the process.
    Hey Mecca.. So, you are right. I did a system read and could not find that one listed.

    I went back, and tried to install it by itself with both BBSAK, and BBHTool. Both state it installed correctly, but I am not seeing it in my list.

    What am I missing? strange that that one did not make it into my phone when I did the bulk load after 7.1 upgrade..

    Any help appreciated..
  25. musiclover7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I now see net_rim_tcp_options in the list when I do a read. I still do not have that option under my Options>Device>Advanced system settings> ?Tcp? Could there be another contingency?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions