Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Odd Trackpad issue - locked key?

First off, Let me say this forum is awesome. I don't post much because I'm not an early adopter and most people have worked the issues I have had before I encounter them spanning years of BB use and generations of phones.

I also very familiar with search, so none of the other posts in any of the other areas described a similar problem.

My trackpad works. Up, down, right, etc. Fast, smooth, and no random moves.

What has been happening over the last couple days, is my trackpad wont scroll through every menu. I have to hold Alt or CAPS to scroll every menu. Its odd because this BB is in pristine condition, I don't drop it, no wet issues, and I don't let my kids play with it.

So for example, I can scroll any direction when on the home screen in "All" or "Favorites" but I can't scroll up to the wireless or profile sections on the above screens.

If I open "Options" I can't scroll the list of selections like Sounds & Ringtones or Display, etc. I need to press and hold the alt key. However, if I open a sub-menu (Typing and Language for instance), I CAN scroll through the options in that menu.

Other issues related to this is not being able to hold alt and type in consecutive numbers in an email or any app for that matter.

Its hard for me to believe this is a hardware issue since it seems to be intermittent on specific areas. i was hoping someone "accidentally" found this issue on their own and just didn't post it. Or maybe my search string was poorly worded.

Any help would be great. I'd hate to swap out for a new device since it seems like it could be a simple fix.

Looking for help. Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    PIN
    Request Only- Send me an email or PM!

Upgrade or reinstall your OS.
    There are tutorials on how to do that in the How-To forum in this site.

EDIT: Here you go
    Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I was hoping after doing this it would cure the problem but it did not.

And its no wonder why, all my settings from the previous OS are carried over to the new OS. So any settings that have "locked" the keyboard/trackpad and applied to the upgraded OS as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

In the 9900 forum there is a similar post. It may be a problem with the keyboard itself. If you just got the phone, get your carrier to exchange it for a new one.

Bold 9900 Keyboard
    CrackBerry Newbie

I just got my 9810 yesterday and by the end of the day it did exactly the same thing. Thought I locked something up but a battery pull made it right again
    Round 2 lol every once in a wile it still would "lock up" and a battery pull woul fix it , some times had to do it twice. I have the otter box case and the top button rubber pads are pushing on the mute & screen lock buttons lol its not pulling the bat that fixes it its re-casing that unsticks it
    Last edited by hippie13.; 03-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default scroll problems

hi, did you ever manage to sort out the having to hold alt button problem??
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    PIN
    28****50

Okay I had the exact same problem .. Until i figured out that my Side Convenience Key was pressed and that was preventing the trackpad was working .. so maybe you have a similar problem .. or if u have a case on too tight then the mute button gets pressed (its really sensitive) and it prevents from the trackpad to work in some menus .. give it a shot i m sure its one of these problems