Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My battery drains rapidly

hi,
    i'm running OS 7.1.0.569 my battery completely drains within hours after charging and when i did a check via bb analyzer it says the network connection draining most of it.
    And also after charging sometimes jus below the battery (around the sd card area) feels really hot as if the phone is over-heating, any idea how to solve these issues?

Thanks in advance
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE2A7F9

I suggest you to change the battery with someone for a day & check if problem persists.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Is your rapid battery drain a recent thing? Have you added any apps lately? Apps can cause rapid battery drain through compatibility issues or sometimes due to settings conflict. If you are in a poor signal strength area, then your battery will drain quicker than in a high strength area. Settings that you can do to help your phone last longer is to turn off updates on certain apps, or make them less often, turn off wifi when not in use, and turn your screen brightness down. There are other potential issues, but answers to the first two questions will help us get things figured out.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.0.1130
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,529 Global Posts

OP: what apps are you running? Anything new that you've installed recently?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527

mine drains at a specific time everyday and just before it drains it hangs and stops responding totally .. wen i finally do a batt3 pull to get it back working d battery is almost always flat i am on .714
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ladeberry View Post
    mine drains at a specific time everyday and just before it drains it hangs and stops responding totally .. wen i finally do a batt3 pull to get it back working d battery is almost always flat i am on .714
    I'm on .714 as well with no problems at all but I do have wifi turned off and don't run many apps only Berryweather.
    Be careful when Speaking, you create the world around you with your words-Navajo
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527

Quote Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post
    I'm on .714 as well with no problems at all but I do have wifi turned off and don't run many apps only Berryweather.
    i do have like 2-3 apps running most times....anyways i upgraded to .796 ... i hope it gets better fingers crossed
    curve8310--curve8900--tour9650--curve8520-bold9780--torch9810--Playbook 32gb-Q10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

What are the apps that you have running most of the time? Is this in addition to the 5 that always show on the app switch home screen?
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527

yes in addition, Facebook, twitter,and mybank app
    Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    What are the apps that you have running most of the time? Is this in addition to the 5 that always show on the app switch home screen?
    curve8310--curve8900--tour9650--curve8520-bold9780--torch9810--Playbook 32gb-Q10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

If you have Facebook and Twitter running with frequent notification, then that is why your battery is draining rapidly. You need to change notifications in the menu options for each app and update frequency to longer time interval or never or manual to maximize battery life. Otherwise, you might want to get another battery to make it through your day, or plan on charging during the day.
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527

i already set both refresh times to 1hr

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    If you have Facebook and Twitter running with frequent notification, then that is why your battery is draining rapidly. You need to change notifications in the menu options for each app and update frequency to longer time interval or never or manual to maximize battery life. Otherwise, you might want to get another battery to make it through your day, or plan on charging during the day.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

My Facebook refresh is set to "Never" but leave the refresh box checked. It manually refreshes whenever I open it. Another factor in battery drain is how strong the signal is when you go through your day. If you are in a location with weak or fluctuating signal strength, then that can cause your phone to "work harder" at making a connection which will negatively affect your battery life. I live and work in an area that has real strong signals, but when I travel on the weekends to rural Bowling Green, KY area, the signal strength is not too good. My phone will constantly shift between H+ and Edge and I see a real difference in battery life. The biggest drain on a battery is leaving an app open in the background. Many apps you can close by using the back arrow key. Poynt is one such app that closes this way. Yet if I try to close WhatsApp that way, the app is still running in the background. I have to close it by hitting the menu key on my phone and selecting "exit". Pressing and holding the Menu key on your phone will pop up a screen that shows the icons for all apps running in the background on your phone. If there are more than 5 (home, phone, BBM, messages, and Browser) then you are putting more demand on your phone's battery.

Another factor affecting battery drain are your screen display settings of Backlight brightness and backlight timeout. Something that sometimes affects battery life is a theme that you may be using. Hope this helps you discover the "culprit"!
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    a colada

Hey y'all!

I've been testing the battery of my recently bought second handed Torch 9810.
    Just laying the Torch in the draw and letting the battery run out.

The thing is: i'm running the 7.0.585, no apps installed and none running in the background (other than the usual five), no SIM card included, all radios disabled and it's draining battery at a 25% / day rate.
    My question is: is this normal? My other phones (android and dumb Sony E.) can go for 8, 9, 10, ... days in the same conditions.

As i said before, i bought it second handed and it is my first BBerry, and have NO idea how the battery should perform.

Thank you.

EDIT: sorry for hijacking this thread but, since the subject is related, i don't have to open a new one.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Battery drain rate depends a lot on usage. My firest suggestion is to upgrade the OS to one of the 7.1 versions that are available. They come with a preloaded app called Battery Device Analyzer which helps you track hourly drain rates and what on your phone is causing the drain. You are not in bad territory if your battery is only draining at 25% per day. Depending on usage and what you load onto your phone and the quality of your network coverage, you will be able to get more than a day's usage from your phone. I charge mine every night because I do not want to run out of power. It will not hurt the battery because they do not have "memory" like the older batteries used to.
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    a colada

Thanks newC.

The 25% per day rate is without any use. Just take the SIM out put the battery in, and place the phone in the drawer.
    I just think that 25% is abusive for a phone that isn't doing anything. Since i bought the phone in second hand, i just wanted to know other users' opinion to figure out if is a normal discharging rate or should i buy a new battery immediately.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,648 Global Posts

Default My battery drains rapidly

fiver says the op has advance os app.
    that thing killed my battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by uglyduckly View Post
    Thanks newC.

The 25% per day rate is without any use. Just take the SIM out put the battery in, and place the phone in the drawer.
    I just think that 25% is abusive for a phone that isn't doing anything. Since i bought the phone in second hand, i just wanted to know other users' opinion to figure out if is a normal discharging rate or should i buy a new battery immediately.
    I understand that you aren't doing anything on the phone, just doing a discharge test. Since I use my phone constantly, and cannot be without it due to work and personal use issues, I have never tried doing what you are doing. The 7.0 OS's are not as good at battery management than the 7.1 OS's. Again I would suggest that you download 7.1.0.746 or .796 and then do your discharge test.
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Newbie

My battery drains rapidly without even using any apps. My bb torch also heats up even if im not using it.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Are you in a weak cell-site location? Are any apps running in the background?
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb