Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By JasW
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Music Organization

Edit: Problem is now solved thanks to JasW!
    If anyone ever runs into the problem listed in this first post then read JasW's reply as it's definitely the solution.

edit: Rather than making a new thread I'll just use this one.
    Please note, the issue I'm posting about here isn't what the thread was originally for so the topic title doesn't relate to it.

No matter what I try, I can't get my music albums to show up properly.
    I really wanted to make this device replace my ipod, but the messy music folders bother me too much.

I go into the properties of the music albums. I make sure the artist and album name is the same for all the files. I then make sure the track numbers are all labelled correctly.

Everything is set up just right, yet when I add it to my BB it looks like this.

For some reason, some songs appear in their own album. There is no reason they should.
    I noticed the tracks missing were placed in the others.

I compared a track from each of the album lists and saw nothing that should cause this.

Is there anyway I can put the songs all into the same album? This kind of BS makes me not even want to bother using this thing as a music player.

Feel free to bash the music. <3
    Last edited by Enskyment; 03-16-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Did you try using wifi
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts

I am curious. What was the problem before you editted? Did you buy a gold plated P9981?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Well for starters, text messages were stuck with the date 2044 on them even after I continuously deleted the entire text folder, restarted+pulled the battery. And yes, of course I set the clock to the correct time.

It was impossible for me to connect to anything with my Blackberry ID, no BB apps, no email, couldn't do nearly anything. Was getting extremely frustrated.

And lots of screens kept getting stuck with a "loading - please wait" error shortly after.

Had to restore the thing to factory. I'm really just hoping all the errors where a problem with the upgrade process. It's been working pretty good since then.

I have had one error from a theme I downloaded that screwed up my folders. I restored the menu settings to default, but it didn't fix it. I just wanted my media panel back to normal.
    It was the birds theme. It's so adorable, but I hate how it screws up my media folders after restarting. I wish it'd get updated to work properly.

Then seeing all the errors people are having.
    I'm already worrying if I made a mistake getting this phone. my last phone was pretty buggy but this one seems like it might end up being the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty good to say about it.
    For the past two days I've been ranting about this phone to a number of people and by ranting I mean really, walls and walls of text about every little thing. This is my first 'really' smart phone so I've just been blown away. My last phone was a smartphone, but it was nothing like this.

I absolutely love this phone and have never been so excited over one, but I'm worried it's going to end up giving me tons of errors.

Hopefully it'll keep running smoothly as it is now..
    Though I am annoyed with the music organization on here. I figure I'll edit this post rather than remake one for that error.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Regarding your music - I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have an older 8330 curve running an OS5 hybrid, and about 14gb of music on my SD card.

Every time I upgrade the OS, after the first reboot, and once it scans all of the media, it does very similar things, it buggers up album art, artists, album names, etc. But prior to the update, everything was indexed perfectly.

What I found I had to do to get it all indexed correctly was move all of the music OFF the SD card, reboot the device to clean up the database, delete all of the bbthumbs.dat files from the folders that were moved off, and then copy all of the music back to the card, BUT IN <2GB INCREMENTS. I found that if I copied it all at once, it buggers up the indexing again, and even if I copy 3gb at a time, the indexing gets screwed up. Seems that at least on the older device and OS there's some kind of threshold where the device gets overwhelmed when indexing and can't do it properly.

If I copy <2GB at a time, unplug the BB, let it index, and repeat until all the music is back on, all of the tags and album art remain intact with no problems whatsoever.

I would like to believe that such an issue would not survive several years, devices and OS upgrades, but who knows, it's worth a try.

Cheers
    The REAL Joe
    Thanked by:
    Enskyment (03-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks a lot for the post!
    I tried doing all you said, but unfortunately it didn't change anything.

I've tried several other things and nothing seems to work. It's always the same tracks that get placed in their own album. I've looked over them so many times and there isn't any difference between those from the others whether it be the quality or a character in the name.

There's absolutely no reason it should be doing this. I think I'm going to give up and stick to my iPod.
    May be less convenient but at least Apple actually knows what they're doing when it comes to making working music players.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enskyment View Post
    Thanks a lot for the post!
    I tried doing all you said, but unfortunately it didn't change anything.

I've tried several other things and nothing seems to work. It's always the same tracks that get placed in their own album. I've looked over them so many times and there isn't any difference between those from the others whether it be the quality or a character in the name.

There's absolutely no reason it should be doing this. I think I'm going to give up and stick to my iPod.
    May be less convenient but at least Apple actually knows what they're doing when it comes to making working music players.
    I have my 32 GB SD card essentially filled only with music, and my PB 64GB filled primarily with music, and every album displays all of its songs appropriately.

In getting to that point, I've come across your problem. It can be due to one of several things. I believe your problem is that not all of the songs have an Album Artist tag (this is a tag that is in addition to just the Artist tag). You won't see that tag on the Properties page in Windows, but it's there; and if some songs on an album have it and others don't, you will get what you are experiencing right now. (Similarly, even having a different -- or no -- Year or Genre can throw album displays off, but I see yours line up).

The best way to cure this is to get a copy of the free MP3Tag editor, available here: Mp3tag - Download. On your PC (and assuming you're using Windows 7 or Vista, which I believe you are), go the album folder in question. Select ALL of the songs in the album, and right click with the mouse. You will see an option to open in MP3Tag -- choose that option. MP3Tag will open and all of the songs will be displayed in a window.

At this point you can see every tag included for each song -- album artist, year, etc. You can then globally edit all of the songs (with the exception of the Song Title and Track Number) so you will be assured of having one album display. To do this, click on one song, then hit Ctrl+A to select all. Type in the Album Artist name, then click on Save. Verify that each song does in fact have the same Album Artist. Resync with your 9810 and you should be good to go.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    Thanked by 3:
    AugustArborists (03-16-2012),  Enskyment (03-16-2012),  hubermania (03-15-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

OP, if I'm reading your post correctly you want to put all the songs from one artist into one album...

Why don't you just use the Artists category. All the albums from that artist are their. You can play albums or you can choose to play all the songs from those albums
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by anthogag View Post
    OP, if I'm reading your post correctly you want to put all the songs from one artist into one album...
    No... I want to put all the songs from one album into one album.

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    I believe your problem is that not all of the songs have an Album Artist tag
    I completely forgot about that. I remember in iTunes there was always the artist and the album artist as well as a composer and not all of those show up in the basic properties. I'm going to blame Windows.

You won't see that tag on the Properties page in Windows, but it's there; and if some songs on an album have it and others don't, you will get what you are experiencing right now. (Similarly, even having a different -- or no -- Year or Genre can throw album displays off, but I see yours line up).
    Finally an explanation of what was causing this. I knew there had to be something different about the files.

The best way to cure this is to get a copy of the free MP3Tag editor, available here: Mp3tag - Download. On your PC (and assuming you're using Windows 7 or Vista, which I believe you are), go the album folder in question. Select ALL of the songs in the album, and right click with the mouse. You will see an option to open in MP3Tag -- choose that option. MP3Tag will open and all of the songs will be displayed in a window.

At this point you can see every tag included for each song -- album artist, year, etc. You can then globally edit all of the songs (with the exception of the Song Title and Track Number) so you will be assured of having one album display. To do this, click on one song, then hit Ctrl+A to select all. Type in the Album Artist name, then click on Save. Verify that each song does in fact have the same Album Artist. Resync with your 9810 and you should be good to go.
    Quite a bit of extra work, but I really like this phone currently and it's definitely worth it to get the music section flawlessly set up. Plus I'm a bit OCD about music files so I like having them extremely organized anyways.

I'm really liking this program. Basic and does everything needed. I can even add the appropriate covers to the albums. I had one album with a cover in the folder, yet it wasn't showing up but I've now added it. Also was able to fix up the titlenames pretty easily as I usually have them numbered 01, 02, etc. in order to keep them in alphabetical order on my computer, but don't like that showing up on the actual name for mp3 players.

But all in all, everythings working now. It's all so organized and finally completely worthy of replacing my iPod. (Might I add, even the external speaker sounds amazing for a phone speaker. It's actually acceptable to listen to on it and pretty loud which is a nice plus that the iPod didn't have as its speaker was bad.)

Thanks very much for both the help and the recommendation to the program.
    I sincerely appreciate it as at this point, I didn't expect to ever find a solution.

So thanks again!!
    CrackBerry User

so i downloaded a folder with all the top 100 songs on the billboard. the thing is in mp3tag, i'm seeing all the album art for the individual songs; but when i play them on my phone all the songs have the same album art (which is usual one from a song in the folder).

how do i get the phone to show the correct cover for the song that is playing?

i spent about 3hrs trying to organise 1000 songs so they have the right art, in the correct genre/album, reducing the amount of artist names.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,407 Global Posts

My 2 cents--I had the same issues when I first got my 9810 and I believe it was JasW that told me to move all my songs from folders on my PC/windows player to iTunes (not my favorite) and then make sure iTunes was checked as my library and bingo, everythign synced over perfectly. Not sure if this is any help but it worked for me. Organized all the songs correctly.
    On another topic but close, I have one question since this seems to be the perfect thread for this--I use my folder of albums (stored on my media card) daily while working out in the gym. I have 3 bluetooth devices including: Car (2012 MBZ), Jabra JX10 (for office and working around house) and Plantron's sterio headset (for gym/music).
    Problem: The music won't play from the phone (handset) in car due to the configuration with Mercedes using the radio to use handsfree bluetooth, no problem there--however, when I am at my desk or pool or wherever, I can only hear the music from my handset held upto my ear--NOT speaker phone or the Jabra JX10. I tried yesterday to redo all the boxes in set up/options, etc but nothing worked. The only way to hear the music was holding my 9810 headset to my ear. No idea why the speakerphone won't work or the Jabra bluetooth won't work but I would like it too-lol! BTW, the Plantronics does work but that was a given in beginning of text. Any ideas (JasW) would be much appreciated. Thanks! Go1ndr