CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Memory draining in App World in my Torch 9810

Hi there,

I have a new BB Torch 9810 and am having problems with the App World memory draining. It should have 512MB memory - however, the most I get is about 100MB even though I have less than 100MB worth of Apps. What then happens is that the memory keeps decreasing so this morning it was down to 25MB. After a battery pull it goes back to about 100MB.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can rectify it so that I get more memory?

Many thanks
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    PIN
    281FC227

Default Re: Memory draining in App World in my Torch 9810

My best guess that an app that you have installed is causing the memory leak. The easiest fix is to uninstall the latest apps that you have loaded one by one and see if the memory leak goes away. Some of the worse offenders of memory leaks are utility and weather apps.

I can tell you by experience with multiple blackberries is that you don't even get close the available application storage of any Blackberry, why? Because the Core OS and software are also installed in same application memory. It uses that same memory to also to run apps in the background as well. It will tell you that you it has 512MB built-in, but most of the time the use is only privy to 100-to-maybe-250MB. The space seems smaller once you upgrade your OS sometimes too.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hi and thanks for the reply,
    My confusion is that I haven't got any new apps - they are the same ones that I had on my 9800 Torch and never had this problem. But maybe one of them has had an upgrade and this is causing the problem. Will try as you suggested and uninstall one by one and see if that helps.
    thanks again
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,423 Global Posts

Hi Musikensky! Can you tell us what OS your are running on your 9810? Diffferent OSs can cause battery drain with different applications-ie: you may run an app with 7.1.378 that works great but when you upgrade to 7.1.694, it may have some issues.

If you are running any version of 7.1, you can go to the advanced system app and check out what is running and what apps are draining your battery. If you are on 7.1, go to: Options>Device>Advanced Systems>Blackberry Device Analyzer>Battery Tests>Battery Draining too quickly. Then start the monitor and in about an hour it will give you, your first read. You will click on "View Battery Drain Trends" and you will see a graph. Click on details on any of the graphs and you will see a screen shot that details what apps are running and what is using power. You can look at graphs for the week, day, hour and even minutes used.

If it is in fact your AppWorld application, delete it and reload it from the Blackberry site. AppWorld had an update this week and I have upgraded it with no problem. Very honestly, I have not seen many if any threads or posts stating that AppWorld drained a battery. Usually it is an app that has the same function as another app you are currently using and they conflict or don't play nice together, or a corrupted cod file left behind from another app that you used that conflicts with something on your phone. Please let us know what you find out and if you are hopefully able to fix it. Good luck and I hope this post helps.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musikensky View Post
    Hi there,

I have a new BB Torch 9810 and am having problems with the App World memory draining. It should have 512MB memory - however, the most I get is about 100MB even though I have less than 100MB worth of Apps. What then happens is that the memory keeps decreasing so this morning it was down to 25MB. After a battery pull it goes back to about 100MB.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can rectify it so that I get more memory?

Many thanks
    What version of Appworld do you currently have installed?
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Hi gi1ndr, thanks for the extensive reply, it is much appreciated. Assuming I have got the right info I think I am on 7.1 - Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714). When I went into Options - device etc I didn't get the Device Analyzer but my system has an Application Resource Monitor that is turned on and also set to shut down draining apps. I also looked at the CPU in application management and there were no apps that were draining etc. I haven't had an update on App World but will see if I can get one. Many thanks once again.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Hi there, I am on version 4.0.0.55
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by musikensky View Post
    Hi gi1ndr, thanks for the extensive reply, it is much appreciated. Assuming I have got the right info I think I am on 7.1 - Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714). When I went into Options - device etc I didn't get the Device Analyzer but my system has an Application Resource Monitor that is turned on and also set to shut down draining apps. I also looked at the CPU in application management and there were no apps that were draining etc. I haven't had an update on App World but will see if I can get one. Many thanks once again.
    In that menu, hold down Alt key and then press BBDA to enable the Device Analyzer.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Great, thanks have done that it is running now