Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    if you want it PM me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Memory On 9810

I saw that on the memory bar in app world at the top it said the phone originally is supposed to have over 500 MB of memory and wondering if there was anyway to see what ate up most of that memory. I right now have about 214 MB and hoping to maybe find out a way to get more because sometimes the updates of some of the apps I use can use more than the app itself. Or is there a way I could save to my memory card? I know there is probably a thread on this already but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask again.
    CrackBerry Addict

If you have 214MB, then you've got as much free app space as you're going to get. Much of the App space seems dedicated to the OS, and some graphics related things.

I have about 163MB free with 34 apps installed.

BB apps are tiny, rarely more than 2MB. OS7 has a feature where if an app needs more space for the graphics, etc (like Need For Speed Shift or Roller Coaster 3D), that will be stored on the 9810 8GB internal storage automatically.

If your memory gets really low, it's due to a memory leak. Simply reboot the phone, and you'll get the extra space back.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    if you want it PM me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

ok, thanks for reply. you think there will be any update in the future to expand the app memory?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soapfan9900 View Post
    ok, thanks for reply. you think there will be any update in the future to expand the app memory?
    Not going to happen. RIM has never done this kind of thing -- they've just released new devices with more memory. And with the QNX devices scheduled to debut next year, that's not about to change.

You are going to have to keep an eye on memory on the 9810, unlike with the 9800. Not as bad as with the 9000, for sure, but because one starts off with 100 MB less memory than on the 9800 and because OS 7 apparently has bad memory leak problems -- I've lost 71.2 MB since my last restart 24 hours ago! -- a lot if not most of us won't be able to go much longer than three days or so without rebooting. That means there are going to be a lot of threads from people wondering why their device is acting up.

I'm curious to see what the low memory threshold is on this device before performance issues kick in.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

On my 9800 i have 25 apps installed and still have 275.3 M free Go to application management, click on BB OS ( yours should say 7.0) scroll go resources, click the button and select application storage, and you will see whats eating up your memory.
    Last edited by stesyl; 09-01-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stesyl View Post
    On my 9800 i have 25 apps installed and still have 275.3 M free Go to application management, click on BB OS ( yours should say 7.0) scroll go resources, click the button and select application storage, and you will see whats eating up your memory.
    Application Storage (which I find under Options > Device > Applications Management > scroll once left) doesn't show what's eating up/leaking memory. It just shows the size of the apps I have installed. That's a constant. The Memory page under Applications Management is a bit more helpful, since one can see what app is actually using the most memory at present, that day, or the current week or last week. (That app is always the browser.) But it doesn't ID any particular app that is causing free memory to drop. MeterBerry is better in that while it doesn't identify any particular app, it allows you to track drops in memory by time, which you can correlate with your app usage (oddly enough, playing music causes a significant drop in memory, @ 10MB in a half hour).

In any event, the 9810 is a different beast from the 9800. I had significantly more apps on my 9800 and, like you, had no memory leak problems. Now with fewer apps on the 9810 (because many are still unavailable) and less memory to start out with (175 MB on the 9810 vs. roughly the same 275 MB as you on my old 9800), I'm experiencing big, at least initial, drops in memory.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Addict

Just upgraded from my 9800 to a 9810, and I'm having application storage space issues that appears to be killing performance.

When I go into the Application Management screen and look at my apps under Application Storage, it says I only have 5.9Mb free - WTF?? This is after I've deleted some unwanted apps - it was down to '0 free' at one point.

The details are:

System - 257.5 Mb
    Applications - 45.8 Mb
    Other - 234.6 Mb
    Free - 5.9 Mb

So what's the story with the 'Other - 234 Mb'? I don't have a lot of 3rd party apps installed, simply because there are not many available yet. The complete list of apps only adds up to the 45.8 Mb.

I have less apps installed than on the 9800, yet I have far less storage space available. Re-booting the phone makes no difference.

(Interestingly when I go into Apps Word and look at installed and uninstalled/unsupported apps, I see a complete list of all my old apps ones ones that are for my Playbook. Makes me wonder if the Playbook apps have been loaded on my phone somehow - could that account for the 'Other - 234 Mb'??

Help!!

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asherwiin View Post
    Just upgraded from my 9800 to a 9810, and I'm having application storage space issues that appears to be killing performance.

When I go into the Application Management screen and look at my apps under Application Storage, it says I only have 5.9Mb free - WTF?? This is after I've deleted some unwanted apps - it was down to '0 free' at one point.

The details are:

System - 257.5 Mb
    Applications - 45.8 Mb
    Other - 234.6 Mb
    Free - 5.9 Mb

So what's the story with the 'Other - 234 Mb'? I don't have a lot of 3rd party apps installed, simply because there are not many available yet. The complete list of apps only adds up to the 45.8 Mb.

I have less apps installed than on the 9800, yet I have far less storage space available. Re-booting the phone makes no difference.

(Interestingly when I go into Apps Word and look at installed and uninstalled/unsupported apps, I see a complete list of all my old apps ones ones that are for my Playbook. Makes me wonder if the Playbook apps have been loaded on my phone somehow - could that account for the 'Other - 234 Mb'??

Help!!
    Reboot! REBOOT!!!

That will solve everything. There is a memory leak issue -- unclear whether it's the OS or some crappily implemented app, but I'm leaning toward the latter. The "Other" you see in Application Storage is only about 46 MB on mine after a reboot (I start off with around 164 MB free after rebooting). "Other" grows as you leak memory.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Reboot! REBOOT!!!

That will solve everything. There is a memory leak issue -- unclear whether it's the OS or some crappily implemented app, but I'm leaning toward the latter. The "Other" you see in Application Storage is only about 46 MB on mine after a reboot (I start off with around 164 MB free after rebooting). "Other" grows as you leak memory.
    Rebooting makes no difference. in fact, fresh from a reboot, 'Other' is now showing 360 mb...

There is something being stored on the phone that shouldn't be there. All my media is on the media card, so i'm at a loss...

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asherwiin View Post
    Rebooting makes no difference. in fact, fresh from a reboot, 'Other' is now showing 360 mb...

There is something being stored on the phone that shouldn't be there. All my media is on the media card, so i'm at a loss...
    Yikes. Other than exchanging the device, the only thing I can suggest is uninstalling all of your apps and then installing them one by one to see if one of them is causing this. Although that doesn't explain why a reboot wouldn't clear it. Still, if you exchange the device, the problem might come back if you just put all of your apps back on.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Genius

I don't know what everyone is talking about a memory leak. I have yet to reboot my device, and have 0 memory leak(measured with battery ex and tiny meter)With 21 apps installed I still have 213mb of space left and it doesn't move plus or minus. My guess is you guys have an app that's leaking memory.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts

Yikes. Other than exchanging the device, the only thing I can suggest is uninstalling all of your apps and then installing them one by one to see if one of them is causing this. Although that doesn't explain why a reboot wouldn't clear it. Still, if you exchange the device, the problem might come back if you just put all of your apps back on.
    I agree with Homer above. I did originally see some memory leak but lately there is virtually none as per log:

As you can see I actually re-gain a little memory, and it's been this way for over a week (I'm using OS 7.0.0.353).
    You might want to see if you can figure out which app is causing the memory leak, as that might be where the problem lies.
    CrackBerry Addict

Tried everything and couldn't get the free storage space to stay above 15Mb at best. So finally resorted to a complete wipe and reinstall of the O/S, and that did the trick - Free application storage space is now 221 Mb, after the same apps I had on it before were reinstalled. 'Other' is now down to just 48 Mb with a normal fluctuation throughout the day.

Pretty sure that the upgrade/migration from my 9800 to the 9810 via Desktop Manager was the culprit.

Phone now runs much, much faster and smoother as well. Worth the 60 minutes of effort it took to reinstall the O/S and apps.

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

I think I've pinned down a large part of my memory leak. I'd noticed on my MeterBerry memory log that there would always -- always -- be a discharge of up to 15 MB of memory in the half hour following my commute to/from work, during which time I really only use the BB to play music over my car stereo. I purposely did not play music this morning, and experienced no drop in memory.

There are a few other drops I haven't been able to pin down. I took all of the non-App World apps off of my phone -- including MeterBerry, which has not been updated in a year, although according to the CB App Store/Mobihand, it supports OS 7 -- and that has not made an appreciable difference in the other drops I can't pin down. (Obviously, it was virtually impossible to even try to pin down those drops without MeterBerry, so I eventually put it back on my device.)

So there is an App World app or apps causing memory leaks. And oddest of all, the BB Media Player seems to cause some memory leakage as well.
    Galaxy Gear

Global Posts
    5,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tellsells View Post
    I agree with Homer above. I did originally see some memory leak but lately there is virtually none as per log:

{image snipped}

As you can see I actually re-gain a little memory, and it's been this way for over a week (I'm using OS 7.0.0.353).
    You might want to see if you can figure out which app is causing the memory leak, as that might be where the problem lies.
    BTW, tellsells, how did you get a screen capture of a MeterBerry log? It has a proprietary BB menu with just four options in the logs: Add Note, Clear All, Clear Prior, and Close. Neither of the screen capture apps I've used -- the freeware version (1.4) of Capture It and SixTools -- appear on the BB key menu, as they do in every other app.
    Galaxy Gear

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts

BTW, tellsells, how did you get a screen capture of a MeterBerry log? It has a proprietary BB menu with just four options in the logs: Add Note, Clear All, Clear Prior, and Close. Neither of the screen capture apps I've used -- the freeware version (1.4) of Capture It and SixTools -- appear on the BB key menu, as they do in every other app.
    I use the screen capture within QuickLaunch. It works as well if not better than some of the other screen capture apps that I've tried.
    CrackBerry Genius

Just to chime in on sixtools and screen captures. If you set one of the volume keys(or any one of the extra convenience keys it provides) as the screen capture app in sixtools, you can take screenshots of any screen on your device.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,851 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask and maybe I'll tell...

to get a screen shot of mb i use capture nux (love the arrow/editing feature) i set a timer then navigate to the log.

speaking of mb not having updated in quite some time, there seems to be a huge dif between battery discharge rate between mb and device analyzer. In general my rate is at 12-17% according to da yet the other day mb fooled me into believing it was 2%
    AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8320
    BlackBerry Curve 8900almost BlackBerry Bold 9700
    BlackBerry Torch 9800+9810 BlackBerry Z10BlackBerry Z30
    64GB PlayBook iTouch 4th gen for my iOS fix