Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Longest you've gone without a Restart/Battery Pull?

What's the longest amout of time you've gone without a restart or battery pull...? I'm testing mine as I watch the free memory dwindle down over time...
    CrackBerry User

My Torch 2 went 32 days without a restart.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I know it been at least two months since I've restarted mine. I pulled the battery back in June when I installed a larger memory card. Haven't done anything since.
    8830 > 8530 > 9810
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I gone 3months without a battery pull or restart on my 9930. I havent restarted my playbook since the last update, prior to that it was Feb. . Love my BB and love that lies that the trolls put on here about battery pulls and restarts.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I bet I could find a dozen users on my BES that have more than a month of uptime.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    peteygrizz likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    t of milk makes it go "snap, crackle and pop"

i usually pull daily.. but im trying an experiment.. i found out that the memory refreshes itself after being on 0 for a while (yes the timer spins and freezes are annoying as heck until the surge in memory) but yesterday i got 45mb back

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    if at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

3 times a day

I know its much less compared to you'll
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts

I am increasingly believing my Torch is defective in some way. I have had the phone completely freeze at least 1x a day every day for the last 2 weeks, requiring a battery pull to reset. Reading the above and how well yours go, seems certain to me now. I am thinking of doing a factory reset and seeing if that changes anything.
    CrackBerry User

Only once since May. that is because of an application that was giving me problems
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Lucky you's (except @rgshah) who go for months without a battery pull/hard reset. I need to do it every couple of days, it becomes astonishingly slow with this 'other memory' eating into the free memory.

How do you all do it??
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    944 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    I am increasingly believing my Torch is defective in some way. I have had the phone completely freeze at least 1x a day every day for the last 2 weeks, requiring a battery pull to reset. Reading the above and how well yours go, seems certain to me now. I am thinking of doing a factory reset and seeing if that changes anything.
    Yep same here so I am currently trying a new OS build, this one is great when it doesn't freeze but it does it constantly and I find myself doing a re-start between 1-3 times a day.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.
    randall2580 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 9700_User View Post
    What's the longest amout of time you've gone without a restart or battery pull...? I'm testing mine as I watch the free memory dwindle down over time...
    I very rarely restart my 9810 because of freezing or memory lag, easily less than once per month. Have Memory Cleaning set to run after 5 minutes idle time. Only times I have to reboot is for app updates usually.
    HTC One Mini and Blackberry Playbook 64GB
    CrackBerry User

I use a program that restarts mine nightly. What benefit do you think not restarting has?
    CrackBerry Genius

Almost daily. I think my daily use of facebook and browsing makes it eat memory. But I don't have any issue pulling battery once a day cause it makes device faster.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

I don't think I've ever gone much more than a week without restarting. I start to drop below 100 MB of memory at the 4-day mark or so, and things can get really dodgy when it drops down to around 50 MB -- primarily, getting calls where I can't hear the other person and they can't hear me. I have deReset and it automagically restarts my 9810 every 3 days at 4 in the morning.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    I don't think I've ever gone much more than a week without restarting. I start to drop below 100 MB of memory at the 4-day mark or so, and things can get really dodgy when it drops down to around 50 MB -- primarily, getting calls where I can't hear the other person and they can't hear me. I have deReset and it automagically restarts my 9810 every 3 days at 4 in the morning.
    Lucky lucky you my friend. Ever since I started monitoring memory, I don't think I have ever had more than 100 megs at any time. I reboot and it goes to about 80 megs tops. With the long weekend coming up, I'm thinking of a clean wipe and re-install.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask and maybe I'll tell...

Wow I have never been able to go longer than 30 hours. I'm currently on. .569 and started with only stock apps at first with 95mb free after reboot. After a day or so got down to single digits. Slowly added apps now have 55mb at startup and drop to 20s in a few hours with single digits after a day resulting in clocking and sluggish response. When I had my 8320 I let it go down to 0 and ended up loosing messages and call logs. Since then I have never let my bb drop past 8mb or so. So idk how the heck you guys go for months without.
    AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8320
    BlackBerry Curve 8900almost BlackBerry Bold 9700
    BlackBerry Torch 9800+9810 BlackBerry Z10BlackBerry Z30
    64GB PlayBook iTouch 4th gen for my iOS fix
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    7,005 Global Posts

On this charge I'm at 19 hrs, 80% battery and 129.46 GB free. 7.1.0.658 Rocks.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.1.1151 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3442
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask and you shall receive...

I doubt I can make it 48 hours
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,027 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB6548C

i usually manually do it once a week ish when i feel the slow down.
    currently on .583

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.3253 + 16GB PlayBook 2.1.0.1917
    DropBox: https://db.tt/sJ8qDim <-- sign up here and get bonus space.
    BoxCrypt: goo.gl/60mjre <-- Lock up your Dropbox account
    CrackBerry User

As I understand it, when RAM drops below a certain point, the system "borrows" from flash memory (termed paging to flash memory) and you get that back (some, at least) when you hard reset. I've recently started using an app called Digital Menu Clock by LSPhone which seems to be helping to free up that "lost" memory due to RAM paging without having to battery pull. Too soon to tell you for sure that theoretically I never have to hard reset again but will keep you posted... What I do know for sure is that every memory booster app I've tried up till now (and I've tried A LOT of them!!) is rubbish!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

i only restart when i do an app update. for battery pull, ages since I did my last. Even though it freeze, i just wait patiently and let the clock go spin by itself till it comes back to working nicely
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Longest you've gone without a Restart/Battery Pull?

I do a battery pull every 2 -3 days more like reset using the keys tho
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

I do it once a day
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

Interesting thread and just as interesting is that there have been several threads about this over the years, and the replies are about the same now as back then. When you think about it (regardless of the specific posted times) the phones now - 98XX-99XX-series are much faster and "smarter" smartphones and that equates to more battery consumption, yet the responses aren't much different than they were with the earlier series phones. As for me, I have AdvOS-LED on my phone and it reboots the phone at 5am every day so I can't say how long I've gone. I have gone from 6am until 2am the following morning with 45% remaining but in fairness, it was a very light usage day. Usually go all day with 35% or so remaining when I go to bed and put it on the charger. I just looked at my phone and it's at 85% and has been running (emails, texts, etc) for 5 hrs. I currently have 126.85MB of free memory--and this is the norm with .746 running for me. So its always best for us to remember that Apps suck up battery and memory, not systems. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast